Corps Acquaintances

This happened just last Tuesday at my Chiropractors office. First, I was so tense in my upper back that the massage therapist comes in to work on me for a bit. She notices my Cadets wrist band and proceeds to show me her Chevron tattoo (not saying where).

Then the chiropractor comes in ... he notices the same thing and starts telling me about he thought Vanguard should have won in 88 instead of 89 (sorry to bring that up .. but I'm quoting the guy). Then he starts naming off where championships have been for the past 35 years.

I think I need another massage...............

Edited by supersop

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was competing in the 2001 US Fencing Association Summer Nationals in Sacramento...Div III men' s foil (meaning those who had a weapons rating of C and lower...I had an E). We finally finish the pool round and when they post the direct elimination tableau, the usual stampede ensues...fortunately I was near the wall where they posted it, so I was actually able to find who i was fencing and on what strip.

I turn around and look right at a guy wearing a Mandarins shirt...after he checks his placement I ask him when he marched....turns out he was one of the bass drummers the year they won Div III with 8 horns!

We never met during the fencing....we were in different parts of the DE tree and had almost no chance to meet on the strip....but I DO know I beat him in the standings, as I ended up 29th out of around 200 I didn;t see his name above me (forgot what it was now)

my first job out of college was witha financial planning firm, and my manager and I were going out on a sales call together. He asked me what I did for fun, and I told him that I had just finished my marching career in a drum corps. Turns out he had marched a small corps out of Ypsilanti, MI. We talked corps all the time after that, I got him to go to North in Ypsilanti, and we made a spur of the moment run to DCI Canada that year (1989)

In the early 90's I was in a local WAWA(east coast con. store)in NJ, and a guy came in and asked who had the red dodge with the stickers on the hatch. I thought he hit my car and I said me real annoyed . He said I march too. I had bumper stickers from DCI all over my window . He had marched in the Crossmen and I was with a jr corps Southern Knights and taught at the time. We still see each other at Alumni functions.

Two weeks ago I was at a Civic Association meeting for my development where I live and mentioned being affiliated with a drum corps and the President's eyes lit up and he said who and that he marched in the Crossmen in 83 and 84. Small world. I have been a member of this group for the 4 years I transplanted to Maryland. Imagine that. We talked for a long time after the meeting.

I hear that a cast member of the Soprano's has ties to Drum Corps in NJ. Any one know who it is?

Edited by beagus

I have had many experiences of running into great drumcorps folks.

One year while visiting Montreal I was hanging out having a few beers with the locals. A good time was being had and one of the guys asked me where in the States I was from. I replied Ohio. He sort of smiled and told me that he had actually been to Ohio - Marion and Toledo more specifically. My immediate thought was US Open and Key to the Sea dbc competitions. I could not imagiine another reason that those two cities would be the only places visited in Ohio. Or why Ohio at all! As it turned out I was correct. He was a guard member of Les Eclipses in the mid 80s and they did indeed compete in those two shows. Very cool! We actually stayed in contact for a few years but have since lost touch.

During the start of a new job several years ago, I was learning my way around the place and meeting my new co-workers. During the process I was told about a mean lady in the accounting department. She is not to be messed with I was warned. As always, I listened but knew I would wait until I met this person to form an opinion. The day we were finally introduced just happened to be a "casual Friday" and there she was in a SCV shirt. We were at that moment, and remain to this day, great freinds. She really is kind of mean though. :P

Went on a cruise over the holidays back in December of 2004. I remember when we had docked back at the port after the weekend, I was waiting inside for my bags to be unloaded and I was wearing my red 'Canos jacket. Got a tap on the shoulder from an elder man who said he was a band director (I think in Oklahoma?) and that he remembered seeing us at a show somewhere in the midwest.

Small world...

Edited by Carl306

My old Boss!

I'm a Database Administrator and I just started a new consulting gig back in 1995. About a month after starting the job I was working on a computer problem with my boss hovering over my shoulder. I started to nervously play paradidles and singles and my boss stopped me and asked how I knew how to play them. I mentioned that I spent my teenage years back in the 70's marching in something called drum corps. He said "really, which one?" I said "The Cavaliers" and he said "I marched in Norwood Park Imperials". It turns out that some of his friends marched in Cavies with me and before that he marched in a competing drum and twirling corps "Vernell" around the same time I marched in the Hi Lighters.

Today he marches in the Kilties and I'm in the Classic Cavaliers alumni ensemble. b**bs

I had the hots for this girl in my traditions class, and for a hw we had to go to the history museum on campus. While there she showed up and we got to talking, she told me what high school she went too, which was the one I would have gone too had I not moved. Then I found out that we were both in the same elementary class (she was a year younger but we were in a multiage class). Then she mentioned that her brother was a drummer and I asked about her and she said she did band. Then the real shocker was that she told me she marched something called drum corps for a summer...I nearly crapped my pants!! But she hated drum corps after that so my corps did not impress her too much..... :(

My old Boss!

I'm a Database Administrator and I just started a new consulting gig back in 1995. About a month after starting the job I was working on a computer problem with my boss hovering over my shoulder. I started to nervously play paradidles and singles and my boss stopped me and asked how I knew how to play them. I mentioned that I spent my teenage years back in the 70's marching in something called drum corps. He said "really, which one?" I said "The Cavaliers" and he said "I marched in Norwood Park Imperials". It turns out that some of his friends marched in Cavies with me and before that he marched in a competing drum and twirling corps "Vernell" around the same time I marched in the Hi Lighters.

Today he marches in the Kilties and I'm in the Classic Cavaliers alumni ensemble. b**bs

So did you get a raise out of it?? :P