Where did all the corps go?

I am thinking about joining a DCA corps, actually. Gold is the nearest corps, but I really want to join the Kilties or the Cabs.

You woul do very well by joining anyone of those. Cabs have a great history and are always in the running. Kilties are doing well and I can tell you that Jerry Kelsey is great! Gold always puts out a quality program. I would say this to you...what music do you like to play? Can you afford to go to NJ or WI? However, the season is in two or three weeks so you better hurry. If you want to travel look at Cru, Statesmen, MCL, Alliance, Corpsvets. Give them a call and see what you think.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You woul do very well by joining anyone of those. Cabs have a great history and are always in the running. Kilties are doing well and I can tell you that Jerry Kelsey is great! Gold always puts out a quality program. I would say this to you...what music do you like to play? Can you afford to go to NJ or WI? However, the season is in two or three weeks so you better hurry. If you want to travel look at Cru, Statesmen, MCL, Alliance, Corpsvets. Give them a call and see what you think.

I have far too much on my plate to think about doing drum corps this year, so that's out.

Anyway, the Cabs and the Kilties are my top two choices because they're corps that go way back and they stick by tradition. The travel up there might get pricey, though. I think drum corps might have to wait until I'm finished with school. After that's over and I've got a job and everything, I can't think about it with a clearer head.

Finances -- or the lack thereof -- was probably teh major factor...takes a LOTTA bucks to run a corps.

Lack of membership is another factor...the days of teh wholly community based corps are long gone....

Along with that goes SOME blame on the new members....we always see reports of 200+ people auditioning for a handfull of slots...and while SOME of those who do not make the cut go to other corps...the majority do not, and do not wish to help build a new corps...they'd rather jump into an existing program.

WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THE LACK OF MEMBERSHIP IN A DIV II/III DISCUSSION. 50CORPS LEFT AND BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WON'T MARCH SOMEWHERE TO "LEARN THE TRADE" SO TO SPEAK, THEY SIMPLY GO HOME AND TRY AGAIN NEXT YEAR. CONSEQUENTLY DCI CORPS HAVE LESS THAN 6,000 MEMBERS OUT OF A COUNTRY OF 300,000,000 PEOPLE. wgi HOWEVER HAD 11,000 + AT ONE WEEKEND OF THEIR CHAMPIONSHIPS .

ANSWER .. THERE ONCE WERE STATE RIVALRYS THERE ONCE WERE CROSS TOWN RIVALRYS AND NOW AND THEN WHEN SOMEBODY FROM YOUR AREA WAS REALLY KICKING BUTT THEY'D GO TO FINALS .

CONSEQUENTLY WE WEREN'T HAVING TO ASK KIDS FOR $1400.00-$2000.00 A SEASON , AND MOST HAD GREAT EXPERIENCES LEARNED A TON AND BECAME THE PEOPLE WHO SHAPED DCI. Where do we go to find the future now ? After all the activity is becoming smaller and (pardon the analogy ) more and more inbred. TAKE A TIP FROM NATURE THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING

WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT THE LACK OF MEMBERSHIP IN A DIV II/III DISCUSSION. 50CORPS LEFT AND BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE WON'T MARCH SOMEWHERE TO "LEARN THE TRADE" SO TO SPEAK, THEY SIMPLY GO HOME AND TRY AGAIN NEXT YEAR. CONSEQUENTLY DCI CORPS HAVE LESS THAN 6,000 MEMBERS OUT OF A COUNTRY OF 300,000,000 PEOPLE. wgi HOWEVER HAD 11,000 + AT ONE WEEKEND OF THEIR CHAMPIONSHIPS .

ANSWER .. THERE ONCE WERE STATE RIVALRYS THERE ONCE WERE CROSS TOWN RIVALRYS AND NOW AND THEN WHEN SOMEBODY FROM YOUR AREA WAS REALLY KICKING BUTT THEY'D GO TO FINALS .

CONSEQUENTLY WE WEREN'T HAVING TO ASK KIDS FOR $1400.00-$2000.00 A SEASON , AND MOST HAD GREAT EXPERIENCES LEARNED A TON AND BECAME THE PEOPLE WHO SHAPED DCI. Where do we go to find the future now ? After all the activity is becoming smaller and (pardon the analogy ) more and more inbred. TAKE A TIP FROM NATURE THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING

capslock_1.jpg

def-allcaps.gif

We were just talking about the lack of membership in a Div. II/III discussion. 50 corps left because some people won't march somewhere to "learn the trade", so to speak. They simply go home and try again next year. Consequently DCI corps currently have 6,000 members out of a country of 300,000,000 people. WGI however had 11,000+ at one weekend of their championships.

Answer ... there once were state rivalries, there once were crosstown rivalries, and now and then when somebody from your area was really kicking butt, they'd go to finals. Consequently we weren't having to ask kids for $1400.00-$2000.00 a season, and most had great experiences learned and became the people who shaped DCI.

Where do we go to find the future now ? After all, the activity is becoming smaller and (pardon the analogy ) more and more inbred. Take a tip from nature - this is not a good thing.

That better, nitpickers?

Now you can try absorbing the message without any reasons to act out.