Where did all the corps go?

Not too terribly long ago, there were scores of drum and bugle corps spread out around the nation, each with their own style. Now, there are only 23 left in the first division, 7 in the second division, and 20 in the third division (according to dci.org). Where did all the corps?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finances -- or the lack thereof -- was probably teh major factor...takes a LOTTA bucks to run a corps.

Lack of membership is another factor...the days of teh wholly community based corps are long gone....

Along with that goes SOME blame on the new members....we always see reports of 200+ people auditioning for a handfull of slots...and while SOME of those who do not make the cut go to other corps...the majority do not, and do not wish to help build a new corps...they'd rather jump into an existing program.

Where did all the NFL teams go?

Not too terribly long ago, there were scores of NFL football teams spread out around the nation, each with their own ____. Now, there are only 32 left (according to nfl.com). Where did all the teams?

Edited by torn8o

I was part of a come-back corps - Suncoast Sound. I showed up in 1991 and we had a few core corps kids. I was a newbie of the core kids. We made it out in 1992 in Div III. We didn't see it as members, but apparently many did not see us as Suncoast Sound (prior members). Of course we weren't the old Open Class corps, but we carried the same heart and desire. We had many prior members and instructors who made an honest attempt to make the best of what we had. We scrambled for "warm bodies" to fill the corps and all 3 years that I marched (1992-1994) we made finals.

1994 was bitter sweet for us as we aquired many kids from Black Gold - a Div II (I believe) corps from Oklahoma. You never want to see a corps not go out on tour but they are what pushed us into Div II and into having the most successful year (IMO) of the come-back corps. We also had the largest staff of old Suncoasters and it was an AWESOME expereince to be instructed by some of the legends of the old corps.

From what I understand, the catalyst for Suncoast Sound not continuing was funding.

Suncoast Sound

The Greatest Love Of All

Where did all the NFL teams go?

Not too terribly long ago, there were scores of NFL football teams spread out around the nation, each with their own ____. Now, there are only 32 left (according to nfl.com). Where did all the teams?

You see, it's funny because he's trying to mock me. Except an NFL team hasn't become defunct since 1952.

You see, it's funny because he's trying to mock me.

Honestly, I'm just having a little fun with you. :) And make a point at the same time... :sleeping:

Except an NFL team hasn't become defunct since 1952.

Uhhh...are you sure about that? Wasn't there at one time HUNDREDS of pro to semi pro football teams all over the nation? Now, pro football (like perhaps drum corps) has gone down in quantity...yet gone up in quality...? Perhaps? Just throwing the idea out there.

Actually, the football analogy isn't THAT far off. There were, in fact, once a range of semi-pro leagues that provided players and regional fans an alternative to college and the NFL. But as the NFL and the NCAA became more professional in their presentations and more omnipresent throughout the culture, fan interest in the smaller, regional leagues waned.

If smaller 'leagues' of locally-based drum corps were to become viable now, they'd have to find a way of creating a product that is different from what's done with DCI. Different environment, different rules, different product.

And some of the semi pro sports teams were sponsored by companies as publicity. Detroit Pistons actually started out as a company team (????-Zoeller Pistons). And just like lot of corps, it just got too expensive to spend money on the team.

In the earliest days corps were mostly sponsored by American Legion and VFW Posts. As AL and VFW started declining (WWI and WWII vets starting passing away) the money to sponsor corps, sports teams and other outside activities started drying up. Lot of AL and VFW posts have actually closed due to lack of membership.

Most of the Senior corps I know from the 70s closed due to increased expenses and lack of new membership. And as local corps went under, the distance between shows got longer and longer as the local shows stopped. Not only did gas triple in price in the late 70s, the amount of gas used to get to shows went up and a vicious circle ensued.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

In the earliest days corps were mostly sponsored by American Legion and VFW Posts. As AL and VFW started declining (WWI and WWII vets starting passing away) the money to sponsor corps, sports teams and other outside activities started drying up. Lot of AL and VFW posts have actually closed due to lack of membership.

Most of the Senior corps I know from the 70s closed due to increased expenses and lack of new membership. And as local corps went under, the distance between shows got longer and longer as the local shows stopped. Not only did gas triple in price in the late 70s, the amount of gas used to get to shows went up and a vicious circle ensued.

Another factor is not just the demise of existing corps...that happened all the time...it was a lack of replacement corps. Back in the AL/VFW/CYO days, when a corps folded in one place, another would spring up nearby. That stopped happening in large numbers back in the late 60's and accelerated through the 70's for the reasons you state so well.

Thanks, Mike, that explains some of the comments I've seen from people who were in corps before my time (I started 1974).

For anyone else reading, Mike is from a metropolitain area that had a lot of Junior corps in a small area. The smaller Senior corps I competed against were pretty spread out and some were in the "boonies" (Johnsonburg, PA easily comes to mind). Not as many Seniors but many made up for it by being around for quite a while.

Just another example how "one size fits all" does not apply to drum corps.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari