The Cavaliers 2007 Show

Yes - but they barely played and moved at the same time - and the hornline was not playing at all for practically half the program. For a top corps this is not the expectation. JMO

I did enjoy them though - its a good program, just not very demanding at this stage

Now this I appreciate. A well respected and normally unbiased, long term poster, noting something that is extremely obvious to me and a few others. I get it, its only june, so maybe they add some things. However, why is a show that is only 75-80% complete, with less than 4 minutes of actual marching and playing, beating the cadets and bluecoats by 3 points. Sometimes I feel like corps get too much credit for too little work (if that means crown beats cadets once if they have an off-night, so be it).

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess times have really changed, cause it used to be we wouldn't have full shows at the end of May, not the middle of June! :P I recall times of changing drills in the middle of tour but having full shows by June.

Is it just the schools letting out later the reason for all of this?

But I see the flame wars between the diehard fans are already beginning. :laugh:

I see those who love the Cadets show or Bluecoats or whomever, love their show but hate the Cavaliers, and vice versa.

I guess some things never change on here. :laugh:

Don't confuse arrogance with confidence

Amen. BTW, when BD was winning championships one after the other, I would the same thing that they were arrogant. The truth is, the Cavies have a lot of confidence.

I guess times have really changed, cause it used to be we wouldn't have full shows at the end of May, not the middle of June! :P I recall times of changing drills in the middle of tour but having full shows by June.

Is it just the schools letting out later the reason for all of this?

But I see the flame wars between the diehard fans are already beginning. :laugh:

I see those who love the Cadets show or Bluecoats or whomever, love their show but hate the Cavaliers, and vice versa.

I guess some things never change on here. :laugh:

Ive never hated the cavaliers...their product maybe, but they are a fine corps. Ive also only had positive interactions with their members and staff. I still think their show is lame though :P

Now this I appreciate. A well respected and normally unbiased, long term poster, noting something that is extremely obvious to me and a few others. I get it, its only june, so maybe they add some things. However, why is a show that is only 75-80% complete, with less than 4 minutes of actual marching and playing, beating the cadets and bluecoats by 3 points. Sometimes I feel like corps get too much credit for too little work (if that means crown beats cadets once if they have an off-night, so be it).

Its a shame you guys sat there timing the playing and moving together, instead of watching the show. You guys must be REALLY accurate with those stopwatches to time a show on a first read. Nice Job.

I wonder what the Cavaliers' design team is thinking. Do they tell Michael Gaines to "stage" the corps when the horn licks are more difficult? I sure do hope there are lots of rewrites coming, as this show does seem a bit stagnant from a visual perspective. I'm sure a lot of us heard the music the Cavaliers posted on YouTube last week and got really excited about the drill possibilities. After watching the show last night on dci.org, I felt like this show is a junior Cavaliers production. The opener is pretty good, but after that I was left wanting SO much more visually.

Maybe the green team will turn up the heat after opening weekend when they have more rehearsal time...

Its a shame you guys sat there timing the playing and moving together, instead of watching the show. You guys must be REALLY accurate with those stopwatches to time a show on a first read. Nice Job.

I based my time off of someones info who had repeated viewings of the show online, who did have a stopwatch. I trust him, and my eyes and brain, which couldnt ignore that they alternated between playing and marching consistently throughout the show. When then did play hard licks on the move, it was marched in half time more often than not. But hey, on the bright side, their slow technique looks more defined than usual :P

funny that someone mentioned too many pit interludes. You do realize that Billy Joel is a piano player right? a lot of his music, and some that cavies used, are very piano featured pieces. ie, angry young man with the angry piano part, which cavies pit nailed perfectly. I loved the musical part of cavies show, although really was surpised when it ended since I had heard the recordings and was waiting for the Italian Restaurant part. Looking forward to seeing this show again in Allentown.

Well, just because it's played on piano, it doesn't mean that it should stay just with the pit. Did the Blue Knights' pit play just the piano part from "Piano Concerto" last year? I don't think so. Move things around a bit. the show is over 11 minutes long.

I based my time off of someones info who had repeated viewings of the show online, who did have a stopwatch. I trust him, and my eyes and brain, which couldnt ignore that they alternated between playing and marching consistently throughout the show. When then did play hard licks on the move, it was marched in half time more often than not. But hey, on the bright side, their slow technique looks more defined than usual :P

hear·say /ˈhɪərˌseɪ/ Pronunciation Key

–noun

1. unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge

<**>

hear·say /ˈhɪərˌseɪ/ Pronunciation Key

–noun

1. unverified, unofficial information gained or acquired from another and not part of one's direct knowledge

<**>

If trusting the word of someone who I marched with for multiple years is hearsay, them im not sure what isnt. :laugh:

not to mention that i inserted much of my direct knowledge into the post, based on having seen the show live, and their rehearsal...live. You cant attack an entire post with a generalization about one sentence, especially if your generalization is wrong in the first place.