The Cavaliers 2007 Show

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta agree with The Laser on this one, the demand is just not there, but i guess these days in drum corps that does not matter too much. I feel betrayed by the Cavaliers, because I was actually looking forward to seeing them perform (for the first time in recent history) after hearing the recordings online. Unfortunately, the recordings are sham and the actual show is too diluted with gratuitous jazz-running and pit breaks to allow for even one musical idea to flow easily throughout the performance. There is also a kind of arrogance they display on the field that is a real turn off -I suppose that is what winning 5 of the last seven will do to you.

reminded me of 05.

I got that feeling too...weird

Wow, that's cool. What year did you march?

yo yo yo...where my '04, '06 Cadets at????....we aint got no ring, but we knows about how to sing...

*cricket*

...anyone? oh wait, its just me....rats, I make bad decisions

*checks calendar*

Yup, it's still only June...

I gotta agree with The Laser on this one, the demand is just not there, but i guess these days in drum corps that does not matter too much. I feel betrayed by the Cavaliers, because I was actually looking forward to seeing them perform (for the first time in recent history) after hearing the recordings online. Unfortunately, the recordings are sham and the actual show is too diluted with gratuitous jazz-running and pit breaks to allow for even one musical idea to flow easily throughout the performance. There is also a kind of arrogance they display on the field that is a real turn off -I suppose that is what winning 5 of the last seven will do to you.

I got that feeling too...weird

yo yo yo...where my '04, '06 Cadets at????....we aint got no ring, but we knows about how to sing...

*cricket*

...anyone? oh wait, its just me....rats, I make bad decisions

Hahahahahaha.....I still love you though.

Understood. I generally have a certain attitude about this particular forum, that fact that I am here is a minor miracle (I'm actually killing time until I can get more scores...then I'm leaving).

I'm also really sensitive about Corps-bashing (which is why I generally don't come here, because that's all most of the posters here do).

Sorry about the stinging reply. Consider it a broad message to the people who can't get over changes.

Sorry again. The performers ARE what it's all about...thats why Personal Opinion and Public Forums don't mix...that's what PM's are for. :ph34r:

They are public performers; and they have to get used to criticism. Especially in a competitive forum such as DCI. And most of us are consumers and (dare I say..) ADDICTS to this activity. We buy tickets and (poorly handled) webcasts to see the shows...and most of us have been in or are still involved in the activity. Our views, for the most part, are informed views. AND it has been an accepted practice among musicians since the days of Gregorian Chant to give and take criticism. I know it does not fit these PC days...but then, PC to me has keys and a screen. :P

Again, this is heat in the kitchen of DCI, like it or not. Either acclumate or escape. Thus endeth the lesson.. :)

The only corps I got to see on the ill-fated webcast was Cavies. I have to guess the show is incomplete in both time and total content. There were many areas where I saw standstill where I almost instinctively know there will be various visual or hyper-Casavant moves inserted in time. HOWEVER....I love the book!!!!! Very melodic for them; and one you can actually sing in your head.

I just do not know how this show will age in the competitive forum this year. The judges seem to reward esoteric; and this is just not wierd enough. (Which to me is good. :) )

Saw it live at the stadium in Annapolis and I loved it! And no, it's not a typical Cavies repertoire, but I think it definitely is a "Cavaliers-type" show. If you liked "007," there's no reason you shouldn't like this show, too. It's potentially championship material, IMO.

funny that someone mentioned too many pit interludes. You do realize that Billy Joel is a piano player right? a lot of his music, and some that cavies used, are very piano featured pieces. ie, angry young man with the angry piano part, which cavies pit nailed perfectly. I loved the musical part of cavies show, although really was surpised when it ended since I had heard the recordings and was waiting for the Italian Restaurant part. Looking forward to seeing this show again in Allentown.

laugh all u want, but they played and marched for 3:30 (that says 3 minutes and 30 seconds) and I was being generous. Don't roll on the ground, or take another pit break or have cool drill while the sections that are stopped are playing, just move and play at the same time.

simple

yup / it was REALLY pathetic in terms of brass playing, and brass playing something on the move

I was amazed by the lack of demand.

Rolling on the ground vs playing is something folks SHOULD get annoyed about.

Demand simply isn't there - now perhaps they will add more but I was very unimpressed. VERY.

funny that someone mentioned too many pit interludes. You do realize that Billy Joel is a piano player right? a lot of his music, and some that cavies used, are very piano featured pieces. ie, angry young man with the angry piano part, which cavies pit nailed perfectly. I loved the musical part of cavies show, although really was surpised when it ended since I had heard the recordings and was waiting for the Italian Restaurant part. Looking forward to seeing this show again in Allentown.

Yes - but they barely played and moved at the same time - and the hornline was not playing at all for practically half the program. For a top corps this is not the expectation. JMO

I did enjoy them though - its a good program, just not very demanding at this stage