The Cavaliers 2007 Show

I find this interesting when people attack other corps for not being 'challenging enough.' I've heard it a lot last from (from lots of Phantom fans) against Cavs, and after only one show we're hearing it from Cadets fans. The fact of the matter is that Cavaliers do what they do extremely well. The design their shows in a way that they can be maxed out by their members. And no offense to those complaining that Cavs visual design isn't up to snuff, but according to at least the judges last night their rep and comp. scores had a nice spread to number 2. While demand is a part of the sheets, it is just that: A part of the sheets. There is SO MUCH MORE to visual design than demand, and Cavaliers usually do a great job every year designing to the full extent of the sheets.

I remember reading complaints post here on DCP from a Cadet person or two. The complaints were about the Cavaliers 2005 show being too easy and gimmicky, or something to that effect. Well, I saw that show, and knew that was plain B.S. This current stuff just seems like more of the same to me. Like what you like. Dislike what you dislike... It's all good. I just wish we all didn't have to go on crusades about it.

You've gotta see my point of view. It's the right point of view. You will assimilate!

Edited by jjeffeory

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You marched Cadets, riiiiiight? Okay. Just checking.

What does that have to do with my post. Would you mind responding to what I said and not asking a random question, to which i have made the answer clear several times in this thread.

What does that have to do with my post. Would you mind responding to what I said and not asking a random question, to which i have made the answer clear several times in this thread.

I've explained in my posts what it has to do and why it matters.

It seems that some Cadets people may have some sort of axe to grind in regards to the Cavaliers.

It also seems that there are many Cadets people who have this same point of view about recent Cavalier shows.

Let me go back and look at what you said again to make sure I've responded to what you're asking.

Please people...it's just the second day of the season..... :P

I remember reading complaints post here on DCP from a Cadet person or two. The complaints were about the Cavaliers 2005 show being too easy and gimmicky, or something to that effect. Well, I saw that show, and knew that was plain B.S. This current stuff just seems like more of the same to me. Like what you like. Dislike what you dislike... It's all good. I just wish we all didn't have to go on crusades about it.

You've gotta see my point of view. It's the right point of view. You will assimilate!

I liked cavies 05...more than this year anyway. And my opinion of the cavaliers is in no way influenced by the fact that my own corps isnt doing as well as I would like competetively. If that was the case, wouldnt it make more sense for me to attack the bluecoats, who are beating us by a few tenths consistently now? Or crown, who is right on our heels for the first time ever. I fail to see any of those posts. What Chris, Joe, and I are posting, is our opinion of a show as fans of drum corps. Oh, and as far as being little hopkins clones...you have no idea. I have argued with the man with more intensity than anyone here possibly could about certain things, just because of my situation. And I disagree with a lot of things he does. At the first winter camp meeting where he described the 'this I believe', i was making some of the same jokes about narration that people on here are now, 5 months later. Please dont assume that because we dont like a particular aspect of the cavaliers show that we're somehow wired into his brain and just doing his bidding.

The funny thing is the Cavalier fans that are just ignoring the argument and saying "lol Cadets fans" when there are plenty of people who have no affiliation with the Cadets who have the same opinion.

Or maybe it's easy to over-look the argument when their favorite corps won by a nice margin anyway? I know when I'm watching baseball and the ump makes a questionable call, if it goes for 'my' team and they win, it doesn't bother me. On the other hand, if the call goes against my team and they lose, I'm a bit more bitter about it. It's easier to let these things bug you when your team is losing to it, and it's easier to roll with the criticism when your team is winning.

Just a thought; I have no real biases either way. I admire the fact that the last several years Cavaliers' design staff designs shows well enough to please the judges but also to the ability of their members, and their instructional staff cleans it near-perfection while the members perform the crap out of it. And as much as Cadets' design team is hit or miss with me, I admire them for at least trying to do (what they think) is different stuff. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The beauty of this activity is there is so much variety that if I don't like Corps X this year, chances are I'll like several other corps.

The beauty of this activity is there is so much variety that if I don't like Corps X this year, chances are I'll like several other corps.

Thank God...

i wish people would respect and appreciate that fact more.

The funny thing is the Cavalier fans that are just ignoring the argument and saying "lol Cadets fans" when there are plenty of people who have no affiliation with the Cadets who have the same opinion.

No, it's just me who is going "lol Cadets fans" as far as I've ready today. Look, I'm really a fan of all the corps. I wish them all luck. I don't care for some of the shows, but that's true every year. I'm not going to go out of my way to convert people into hating the Cadets show this year just because I don't think the narration works. Likewise, it doesn't seem very cool to hate on The Cavies just because their drill doesn't do it for you. It's okay to do that among a small group of close friends, but is it really cool to do it in public?

dbc03, it's all good.

I liked cavies 05...more than this year anyway. And my opinion of the cavaliers is in no way influenced by the fact that my own corps isnt doing as well as I would like competetively. If that was the case, wouldnt it make more sense for me to attack the bluecoats, who are beating us by a few tenths consistently now? Or crown, who is right on our heels for the first time ever. I fail to see any of those posts. What Chris, Joe, and I are posting, is our opinion of a show as fans of drum corps. Oh, and as far as being little hopkins clones...you have no idea. I have argued with the man with more intensity than anyone here possibly could about certain things, just because of my situation. And I disagree with a lot of things he does. At the first winter camp meeting where he described the 'this I believe', i was making some of the same jokes about narration that people on here are now, 5 months later. Please dont assume that because we dont like a particular aspect of the cavaliers show that we're somehow wired into his brain and just doing his bidding.

Very cool! Glad to know that someone does that with Mr. Hopkins.

So then, you just don't like the Cavaliers show this year (drill wise). Somehow I got the impression that this was the "the Cavaliers use too many gimmicks" argument. My apologies. :P