Madison Scouts 2007

Does anyone think that Madison is going to make finals this year? They don't seem to be doing very well and I am a little worried. I have always thoiught their shows were fun. I hope they do well :(

Welcome to DCP. Yes. I think they have a chance at making finals. That's a long time away!

So do Blue Stars. Oh and Colts are looking pretty good too. I'd put Colts in the 8 spot right now. Don't worry and enjoy the ride. If they don't make finals, we can still watch the show on DVD.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think that Madison is going to make finals this year? They don't seem to be doing very well and I am a little worried. I have always thoiught their shows were fun. I hope they do well :(

I think they are going to make it. When people say that the DCPers shoot them down.

You're right IF by management ranks you are refering to the Board of Directors. Up until

August 2006 the Scouts had a very stable and very talented leadership team and group of instructors...without question among the best in all of DCI.

EDITED by me:

Oldbandguy - you obviously don't really know why the BOD let go of Sal. It was

for financial reasons. The new team was hired because maybe the board felt they were better suited to

deal with the long term financial future of the corps which is much more important than placement - wouldn't you agree that if the corp folded because they had no money that would be worse than finishing 14th?

Why don't you quit trashing the Board for what they did a year ago and start morally supporting the organization

you claim to be a fan of?

Edited by Steven Rocco

But I always equated the Scouts with like a good college fraternity.

Perzackly. And for that very reason, the Scouts have had far less turnover (recent years excluded) than the average corps. Less turnover = fewer, but hopefully more loyal, alums.

Those of us who have been around a bit longer than you young 'uns have trouble with this reasoning. In the 34 years of DCI competition, Madison has finished sixth or higher 23 times. That's sixty-eight percent of the time they were sixth or above. Their average placement for those 34 years is 6.14, not much lower than Cavaliers 5.40, Cadets 5.60, and Regiments 5.71. So, yes, expectations for Madison remain high for us old fogeys. Though they were not in the top three often, they were generally in the top six.

This is why the slide you have pointed out since 2000 is so startling to those of us who Madison beat the tar out of. It goes contrary to all previous history. It is a matter of great concern and I can understand why alumni are worried. I feel for Madison and wish them the best as they try to re-establish the consistancy that we grew to expect from them.

I recall years where BAC, Troopers, Cadets, Blue Stars, etc were ranked as high as the top 3 in the Country, ( some pre DCI years included here with some DCI years) and then almost completely fell off the competitive map.. I'm talking years where these listed Corps were nowhere to be found in the top 12..... were not even close to DIV.1 top 12.......... but.then came back strong again in succeeding years. You are pretty young yourself if you think that a momentary year or 2 of stuggles by Madison is unusual. Factually, it simply is not.

Those of us who have been around a bit longer than you young 'uns have trouble with this reasoning. In the 34 years of DCI competition, Madison has finished sixth or higher 23 times. That's sixty-eight percent of the time they were sixth or above. Their average placement for those 34 years is 6.14, not much lower than Cavaliers 5.40, Cadets 5.60, and Regiments 5.71. So, yes, expectations for Madison remain high for us old fogeys. Though they were not in the top three often, they were generally in the top six.

This is why the slide you have pointed out since 2000 is so startling to those of us who Madison beat the tar out of. It goes contrary to all previous history. It is a matter of great concern and I can understand why alumni are worried. I feel for Madison and wish them the best as they try to re-establish the consistancy that we grew to expect from them.

This is the 15th year that I've been following corps. It's not 34 years, but I feel that 15 years is pretty significant. For nearly half of the years that I've watched drum corps, Madison has finished in the bottom half of the top 12 or worse.

I don't think this is just an aberration. Few want the Scouts to be "back" any more than me. But maybe "back" is different now. Maybe it's 6 through 8, not top 6.

(And, for what it's worth, I also feel weird saying that I was starting high school 15 years ago.)

EDITED by me:

for financial reasons. The new team was hired because maybe the board felt they were better suited to

deal with the long term financial future of the corps which is much more important than placement - wouldn't you agree that if the corp folded because they had no money that would be worse than finishing 14th?

Why don't you quit trashing the Board for what they did a year ago and start morally supporting the organization

you claim to be a fan of?

Suffice to say that there is alot that can't be told.

EDITED by me:

Why don't you quit trashing the Board for what they did a year ago and start morally supporting the organization you claim to be a fan of?

Are you saying I can't support the corps if I question the BOD? I don't know you, but I would be

glad to compare my financial support of this corps over the years to yours. It has been somewhat

significant and certainly amounts to more than just buying a few souvies!

I am fully aware of some of the financial concerns. I am also aware that the President of the BOD

resigned because of the actions of the other members. I am also aware that most of the staff resigned because of the actions of the BOD. I am also aware that MANY of the members did not return

because of the actions of the BOD.

I have and do SUPPORT this organization I am a fan of. No where will you find me saying ANYTHING

negative of the members of the Scouts or their instructors, but you have no right to tell me I can't

express my feelings about the BOD.

I recall years where BAC, Troopers, Cadets, Blue Stars, etc were ranked as high as the top 3 in the Country, ( some pre DCI years included here with some DCI years) and then almost completely fell off the competitive map.. I'm talking years where these listed Corps were nowhere to be found in the top 12..... were not even close to DIV.1 top 12.......... but.then came back strong again in succeeding years. You are pretty young yourself if you think that a momentary year or 2 of stuggles by Madison is unusual. Factually, it simply is not.

Let's look at reality. The first twenty-eight years of DCI, Madison finished lower than 6th place six time. The next seven years Madison has finished below 6th place six times. This is not "a momentary year or 2 of struggles." In my opinion, this is a disturbing trend. I do hope they can stabilize the corps and get back to where they were for so long.

Never count Madison out, there is too much pride and tradition in that organization. In 76, they rewrote their entire show midseason and still came in 3rd at finals.