Madison Scouts 2007

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF by "talented" you mean, unable to manage funds and wreaking havoc with the finances, then yes...you are correct.

By talented I meant people like (to name a few):

Sal Salas - DCI Director of the Year

Scott Boerma - one of DCI's best...ever

Mark Waymire - one of DCI's best

Colin McNutt - one of DCI's best

Lee Beddis - one of DCI's best

Myron Rosander - one of DCI's best

All people the Scouts had, but are now helping corps like The Cadets, Carolina Crown,

Boston Crusaders, and the Glassmen as they all head to DCI finals in 2007.

That's what I meant by "talented".

Sky Ryders. FYI

Here, here! $1 to Cop for beating me to it. Better yet, a Shiner Bock! :doh:

C'mon guys, if you're gonna get into a Rosie-type smack down, at least spell the corp's name right. And Tom? Skyriders? Geez! You get to pay for cop's beer for that one! :P

that is just sad... Madison needs to take a look at their shows from the 90's and "rinse and repeat"

One of the loudest and most thunderous applauses in DCI Finals history was the performance of the '95 Madison Scouts. Madison in the mid 90's had the audiences in America in the palm of their hands, if not the judges. Then Madison came to a crossroads. Would they maintain their mutual love affair with the vast amount of audiences they encountered by playing and performing their typical in your face Drum Corps with recognizeable music or would they try and reinvent themselves in hopes of higher placements. From all public reports, there were strong philosophical differences among the leadership at Madison in the late 90's, and after much reflection, Madison opted to scrap the in your face music that Madison was known for, and instead brought in new management, new staff. Madison decided they would try and march like the Cavaliers, play like the Blue Devils, and even change their uniform.... by even softening the colors . The Madison " edginess " was gone, it's uniform softening so tragically symbolic. In the process, despite moments of advancement, it basically was a Corps on a course that was leading to a loss of it's unique identity..... to the point now of being essentially unrecognizeable. And sadly as you said, in the process the Madison Scouts slowly but surely....... lost themselves. They don't sound like the Madison Scouts, look like the Madison Scouts, entertain like the Madison Scouts,....... and they lost their way where even the pandering attempt to the DCI judges has failed them. Somewhere out there, Scott Stewart is saying......." I told you all it would come to this, but you didn't listen ".Here's one poster that hopes the Madison Scouts can go back to the drawing board in the off season and ask themselves one question....... " What was it that made the Madison Scouts so endearing to Drum Corps audiences and made us so competitive for half a century " ? I believe that the phrase " placement " and " judges " will not be the first thing that comes to mind that answers that question.

Edited by X DM

I think talentet meant bringing the corps out of not making finals oblivion...

:doh: one year out of finals constitutes "not making finals oblivion"?? lol

By talented I meant people like (to name a few):

Sal Salas - DCI Director of the Year

Scott Boerma - one of DCI's best...ever

Mark Waymire - one of DCI's best

Colin McNutt - one of DCI's best

Lee Beddis - one of DCI's best

Myron Rosander - one of DCI's best

All people the Scouts had, but are now helping corps like The Cadets, Carolina Crown,

Boston Crusaders, and the Glassmen as they all head to DCI finals in 2007.

That's what I meant by "talented".

Sal Salas - Let go for reasons already stated.

Boerma - Quit...then tried to come back.

Mark Waymire - Well.....I won't comment here...but let's just say that I'm not crying.

Colin McNutt - I agree...great...but hired away at season's end.

Lee Beddis - Was, to my understanding, leaving.

Myron Rosander - Let go by Santa Clara. Drill was less than stellar by MANY accounts last summer...and was vintage SCV.

IF by "talented" you mean, unable to manage funds and wreaking havoc with the finances, then yes...you are correct.

If that was the problem, then, why not leave the artistic people (who led them back into finals after a few really disappointing years) in place and simply hire a knowledgeable business manager? Instead of firing everyone so that you come out in '07 scoring behind the Colts and Blue Stars?

If that was the problem, then, why not leave the artistic people (who led them back into finals after a few really disappointing years) in place and simply hire a knowledgeable business manager? Instead of firing everyone so that you come out in '07 scoring behind the Colts and Blue Stars?

Madison hired Bill Howard to right the ship financially; it doesn't get much better than that. There were multiple reasons for letting Sal go, and I will trust the board based on what I know of the situation.

Let's clarify some things . . .

Sal's contract was not renewed by the board. None of the creative staff was fired. They all resigned.

Steve Powers

Staff Coordinator

Madison Scouts