Cadets v Phantom

Cadets v Phantom  

313 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win at Lexinton

• Cadets
    • Phantom

I just want them both judged fairly and consistently, and let the cards fall as they may. One thing that I am concerned about is the narration...if something goes wrong - for example, if a kid forgets a portion of the speech, or there is feedback, or mangles a word (or if he hits an unfortunate Bobby Brady puberty moment), I would expect them to be taken to task for that.

As far as everything else goes, I just want a fairly judged contest, regardless of who wins. They're both fine corps.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the show may get rained out. :(

Looks like the show may get rained out. :(

But how will we know the true importance of our poll? :P

Actually, I thought the Gershwin show was a step in the right direction. Not only a lot of movement (much while playing difficult passages) but lots of velocity, which lets face it, these days great drill needs a lot of velocity. Also, that show had color, and lots of it.

As much as everyone drooled over last year, I could not get past the lack of color in the visual package and the lack of visual punch in the drill. I felt, while a good visual package, it was not great, and was a step back from 05.

I couldn't disagree more. I thought the Gershwin show was weak. It was definitely a step down from the performances of Phantom the previous 2 years. I couldn't see it placing in the top 5. While the kids performed what they were given well, unfortunately they weren't given a good show. Musically one of the weakest shows in the top 12 that year. Guard too much staged around the solo performer. Drill wasn't anywhere near the level of the other top 5 corps from that year. I honestly believe if anyone other than Phantom had performed that exact show with the same performance level, it wouldn't have placed above 8th place.

Last year was definitely a step in the right direction. Great music, nice drill(still not to the level of Cadets, Cavies, Blue Devils, or SCV). I loved the show from the opening statement. Once again though, I have a problem with the guard focusing on a few main charachters, rather than the whole section. They were definitely back in my top 5 last year.

As for the first meeting with Cadets, I am going to have to give it to Cadets by 1.2 points. And I don't see Phantom beating them at all this season. I think mid season Cadets are going to be neck and neck with Cavies and BD, and towards finals, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Cadets and SCV fighting for first place in Pasadena. I really think it would be kind of cool, if Cadets pulled all of their narration on finals night, and tied with SCV for the win(with the tiebreakers going to SCV for the 2007 championship)

I couldn't disagree more. I thought the Gershwin show was weak. It was definitely a step down from the performances of Phantom the previous 2 years. I couldn't see it placing in the top 5. While the kids performed what they were given well, unfortunately they weren't given a good show. Musically one of the weakest shows in the top 12 that year. Guard too much staged around the solo performer. Drill wasn't anywhere near the level of the other top 5 corps from that year. I honestly believe if anyone other than Phantom had performed that exact show with the same performance level, it wouldn't have placed above 8th place.

Last year was definitely a step in the right direction. Great music, nice drill(still not to the level of Cadets, Cavies, Blue Devils, or SCV). I loved the show from the opening statement. Once again though, I have a problem with the guard focusing on a few main charachters, rather than the whole section. They were definitely back in my top 5 last year.

As for the first meeting with Cadets, I am going to have to give it to Cadets by 1.2 points. And I don't see Phantom beating them at all this season. I think mid season Cadets are going to be neck and neck with Cavies and BD, and towards finals, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't Cadets and SCV fighting for first place in Pasadena. I really think it would be kind of cool, if Cadets pulled all of their narration on finals night, and tied with SCV for the win(with the tiebreakers going to SCV for the 2007 championship)

Disagree.

(I love opinions).

Regiment had a better designed (and performed) drill last year than Cadets and Blue Devils. The SCV drill might have been a better design, but it was not performed as well.

Also...musically, I thought the 2005 show was one of the strongest that year. Everyone keeps talking about how it "wasn't Regiment," but I gotta cry: Baloney. They did a great job with both of those, AND the drill was also quite good.

Yay for opinions. I won't try to change yours if you don't try to change mine.

Disagree.

(I love opinions).

Regiment had a better designed (and performed) drill last year than Cadets and Blue Devils. The SCV drill might have been a better design, but it was not performed as well.

Also...musically, I thought the 2005 show was one of the strongest that year. Everyone keeps talking about how it "wasn't Regiment," but I gotta cry: Baloney. They did a great job with both of those, AND the drill was also quite good.

Yay for opinions. I won't try to change yours if you don't try to change mine.

I don't expect to change anyones opinions. And I know maybe I am in the minority with my opinion of Phantom 05. I just thought it was one of Phantom's weakest shows in the last 20 years(minus the 98-02 period).

I think you are right with SCV having better drill design, but Phantom having a better performance last year. I still think BD and Cadets had better performances than Phantom last year. I know there was a lot of controversy with Cadets, and I personally didn't like several things about their show, but I was really surprised that they didn't beat Phantom and Bluecoats with their performance. But it is great to see Phantom improving to the level they were once at. It makes for an interesting finals week. I actually think I like their music better than Cavies this year, which hasn't happened since.....probably 96 and 89.

I also could not disagree more. The 2005 Phantom Regiment was, IMO, the best show on the field that year. Gershwin or not, they gave it a touch of typical Phantom class, and they definitely received the largest standing O on finals night. If you think that horn book was weak then you are sadly mistaken, and their visual program was one of the best things on the field that summer. From a design standpoint, I thought the Cadets show was weaker in 2005, they simply executed the heck out of it.

Phantom's visual program was only second to Cavaliers last year...end of story, and musically I thought they were the best.

And as for your comments on another corps performing that Gershwin show and not getting above 8th is ridiculous. I don't think you are giving the judges enough credit. If Crown, Bluecoats, Crossmen, Boston, or whoever, had performed that Gershwin show just as well the judges would have rewarded it the same way. How do you think corps like the Bluecoats managed 4th last year? How do you think Glassmen hit top 5 several times, or Boston in 2000? These have typically not been top 5 corps, yet they broke into the elite class of rankings based on great shows and great execution, and on the fact that judges rewarded their shows appropriately.

JW

Anyone have an opinion on the programming approach PR has taken the last couple years? A lot more thematic than the abstract "Songs for a Summer Night" and "Adventures Under a Darkened Sky" bunch.

I guess there's a lot more that can be done visually with an "On Air" type of show, but I think those old 90s show titles were awesome. I mean, does it get any cooler than "Defiant Heart"?