Proposal: New rule requiring DC experience to do Top 6

DC experience required for top 6 auditions  

176 members have voted

1. 1. You have 2+ years of eligibility: Would you march a "lower" corps in order to audition for a "top 6"?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. You have only 1 year of eligibility remaining: Do you choose to march a "lower" corps or do the "couch potato" thing?

• March SOMEWHERE
    • Top 6 or Bust!!
  3. 3. You live closer to a top 6: Do you elect to travel to march a "lower" corps or stay home?

• Build up air miles (ie, travel and march)
    • Don't march

Hey all,

Not sure if this situation was already posed...but it's worth a shot.

What about that kid who just found out what drum corps actually was, or figured he/she was good enough to actually march at age 18. He/she auditions for the Cavaliers or Phantom Regiment at age 18, and gets cut. Same with age 19. Same with age 20. But finally, (s)he makes his/her dream corps at age 21, the age-out year.

There's hundreds of reasons why they wouldn't go to other corps. It could be the money and travelling costs, or it could very well be they honestly don't know anything about drum corps, so they don't know that they have that option?

Just a thought :laugh:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's there choice, just want to encourage them to give other corps a chance.

We totally agree then...as long as it's the student's choice, we're fine. I posted either in this thread or another about trying to make the choices clear to potential members at audition camps, primarily II/III oriented.

I understand about the competitive marching bands being JV. I was thinking of students not in those kinds of programs, or students who live where private lessons may not be an option.

Oh, yes, getting ANY kids to march is a good thing, and there are lots of bands that do not compete...or are not very good....or whatever.

I believe I remember that at least some directors of top corps are encourageing and advising those that don't make it of other options. I hope that's helping some of those students to think about other options and take advantage of them.

And I'll add once more...

If top corps more consistently recruited in the 2/3 pool, that pool would grow very fast. If kids knew that their odds of making their "dream corps" went up dramatically by being in 2/3, they would do it. If, on the other hand, they know that their odds are not enhanced now by that experience, why bother? If their only goal is to make a top corps, their "dream corps", they'll go back and play in their HS band or sit in their bedroom and tap on their ReelFeel to sheet music they grab off the internet, and pretend that they're getting better for next year. In reality, we know that the experience is gained on the road. They don't. The results suck statistically, and that is what I believe is the biggest change necessary to secure 2/3. Incentive.

The proposal as stated is completely unworkable by any measure. Since participants are currently required to pay for the opportunity to march in DCI they should have the right to choose the drum corps of their choice (End of discussion !!!). If however, DCI is willing to subsidize the lower placing Div I drum corps and/or the Div II/III drum corps by requiring a greater dollar amount of proceeds from DCI show ticket sales, merchandise, Etc ... be appropriated to the afore mentioned DCI Div I/II/III drum corps then there might be a basis for a proposal. The proposal would be to make it more financially attractive for potential participants to march at the Non Top-6 DCI drum corps/Previous DCI Div I champions. A reduced fee structure for the Non Top-6 DCI drum coprs would create a potential drawing effect for the lower placing DCI Div I Corps or DCI Div II/III corps to the maximum point possible. However, in the end it will be up to the potential particpants to way the pros and cons on an individual basis (I.E. Is a lesser fee/monetary commitment incentice enough to consider marching in a DCI drum corps not necessarily of first choice).

As a side note, if the proposal as originally stated were to result in a DCI Top-6 drum corps not having an adequate number of auditionees or a greatly reduced quality apllicant pool then would it be allowable for said Top-6 drum corps to attempt to lure away experienced members from other DCI drum corps regardless of Top-6/championship status ??? Be careful for what you wish for ... you just might get it ... and come to the realization that your wish is nothing short of a nightmare !!!

It might also be interesting to see what the breakdown of membership in the Top-6/Championship drum corps is in regards to years of service (I.E. How many current members are multi year members, How many current members auditioned for and made whatever Top-6 drum corps in question and have stayed there for their career, How many current members marched at a different DCI drum corps and decided to audition for a Top-6 drum corps after aquiring DCI level experience). This would go a long way in getting actual information relating to the realities of 21st century drum corps rather than trying to create a drum corps "Welfare System" based on perceived realities (I.E. Asserting Lebron James was a resident of Chicago when in fact he was never, and is currently not a resident of the great state of Illinois !!!).

Sounds like you are a supporter of dumbing down the DCI drum corps experience for everyone in hopes of crowning newbie DCI champions. When DCI becomes a low quality performing marching association the "Major Leagues" will have just become no better than any High School or College marching band circuit.

Edited by Browniebrick

how about this?

everyone just auditions for DCI directly and then DCI splits everyone up into equally skillful corps...

....j/k guys..

It's all-region BAND for drum corps!

Say this rule even became proposed. The director that proposed it would probably be getting the wtf looks from the rest.

In the event that some twisted series of events took place and this rule passed or you just decided on your own you want to use another corps as a stepping stone; don't expect a warm reception. If you never marched before and you try this, you may not want to march again. If it were my hornline/drumline/guard/pit/corps, and I knew about this, I would advise you to look elsewhere. Drum corps isn't just about one show, one season.

Say you did do it. You made it through the summer without getting cut or quitting. You audition for the "upper tier" corps of your choice the following season and you get cut during the audition process. I wouldn't suggest attempting to return to your former drum corps. This activity is not about the individual.

Any corps knows that to better themselves from year to year, their best method of doing so is their returning members.

Rule: To be eligible to audition for the Blue Devils, the Cadets, the Cavaliers, the Phantom Regiment, and the Santa Clara Vanguard D&BC's, auditionee shall <edit> be a veteran of one of those corps or <end edit> have participated in one or more seasons in another Division I, II, or III corps.

<Editted for the sake of brevity and stupidity>

Here is an alternative--if anyone is truly interested in seeing drum corps participation GROW--not feed on itself until "all of the seed corn is eaten".

Rule: The Blue Devils, the Cadets, the Cavaliers, the Phantom Regiment, and the Santa Clara Vanguard are NOT allowed to accept/audition anyone with drum corps experience--except from their own corps or their feeder corps (e.g., SCV Cadets).

If these corps and their staffs and their management are so darn good, let them prove it annually with newbies and returning veterans. As in many endeavors, teaching high levels of talent is not as challenging as competing against top level talent with lessor (or less experienced) talent. If these organizations are so good, I want them to prove it with the "typical" talent (and there IS talent) found in "lessor" corps.

If these corps can still produce legitimate "Top 6" performances year-after-year under this rule, then more power to them. However, I suspect that under this rule more corps would suddenly become both "attractive" and "competitive"--and more kids would get to experience the thrill of competition and drum corps life.

Cardinal_frnch_hrn

(An ancient drum corps person; 3rd generation drum corps; father to a "4th generation drum corps" age-out)

This proposal also ignores Senior/All-Age corps. I have 4 years of experience with a DCA corps, but by this rule, I'd have the same amount of experience as someone with none. And assuming I got cut from the "dream corps," (which I did) I wouldn't go to a Div 2/3, I'd go back to DCA (which I did).

Don't most, but the extreme best, participate in Jr. Varsety sports bofore moving up to the varsety team?

Don't most, again except for the extreme best, HS musicians only make district or regional bands their freshman and sophmore years before making area and or all state your junior and/or senior years?

And both those situations are just like drum corps. If you are good enough you can march wherever you want. If you are good enough you can play varsity football or make all-state as a freshman.

You are rewarded for your ability.