Long hair and drum corps

I was watching the 1980 Legacy DVD not too long ago (it's probably the one I watch most often) and thought 27th looked timeless as did Garfield Cadets and Spirit. I knew the age more from the quality of the footage rather than the look of the corps.I thought the Bridgemen looked very 80's as did Blue Devils and Madison. The giveaway? Hairstyles (I suppose guard uniforms too). As I watched the new DCI Essentials DVD and saw more shots of the front ensemble, the pit gives away the era based on hairstyles.

BD was pretty much anything goes, as I recall. I started out clean-shaven, then mutton-chops up until Family Day, then grew the chin in and had a full beard by finals. Had I not been planning to do some cosplay at WorldCon the month after finals, I would've left it as mutton chops.

Earrings were almost de rigueur for the guys in the corps...I wore one of my mother's horseshoes for good luck at Finals...and it was always a kick to watch the longer-term guys sit and decide which earring to wear for a show (I had one of the last script "Jazz" earrings. I saved it for major shows until I lost it mid tour)

That's how I want to see the Blue Devils - Long hair, frilly shirts, dangly earrings - the way it was MEANT to be.

in 1988 the bluecoats went pretty shaggy with the long hair and beards/unshaven look on most of the guys.

in 1989 the corps implemented a clean shaven or cleanly groomed beard/mustache and short hair/hairnets under the helmets.

A few women in the Cadets this summer opted for a buzz cut rather than having to fit their hair into their shakos. They looked great. Dig it.

HH

Now that is the balls!!! Former BAC member loving that!

• Like 1

In 93 or 94, can't remember which year, Glassmen had a rule that if you started tour with it, you could keep it, otherwise clean shaven. Then halfway through tour, the staff said, "No more shaving!". Apparently, the judges kept commenting on how young the corps looked, so the staff decided we needed to look older by growing facial hair.

• Like 2

A few women in the Cadets this summer opted for a buzz cut rather than having to fit their hair into their shakos. They looked great. Dig it.

HH

I remember back in my day most of the women in the horn line had their hair cut short in the back so that anything exposed while wearing a shako was buzzed, but out of uniform the longer hair on top covered the back of their necks. I don't know what to call it - some kind of inverted comb-over?

SCV 2005 had a female cymbal player, and she shaved the bottom half of her head so that she wouldn't look any different than the guys under the aussie. That's ######

• Like 3