Blue Knights 2014 - "That One Second"

It's about time we started talking about BK this year! It seems the corps is stronger this year than last, and the show certainly seems much more accessible and more emotional. The concept is really strong and this is the first time I've ever liked narration in a show - it adds SO MUCH to their overall effect! I'm thinking the show will go higher than 10th this year. I personally love the show (though there were some phasing and timing issues last night, which they'll improve on throughout the season). Also, their uniforms are really interesting (I like them).

Thoughts on the show/uniform/placement?

• Like 1

They have white pants on and it looks like they are totally caught off guard by the sheer amounts of preparation and higher attention to detail. I'm not entirely sure if they'll be able to recover this year. The show seems good, but it will be hard for the judges and audience members to look past things until they figure their feet out.

Any time you have pants brighter than your tops, you better be prepared to really beat technique and body and very, very fine details into the kids. It is a whole different planet than black pants, and you can tell they underestimated that.

edit: a word.

Edited by GeneralTsoChicken

Higher than 10th you say?

While i do love BK, and would love to see them jump back into the middle of finals day, the question is... who is dropping?

Boston? Madison? Cavaliers? Phantom? This season these 4 seem to be in that mid-tier of 6-9. Unfortunately we wont see BK perform at the same show as the eastern corps for a while. If they push up into that tier instead of toeing the line right above the race for 12th place, i'll be happy. But for every corps that moves up, a corps or more move down. I don't necessarily see BK out-performing the current 6-9 range of corps. Though i'd love to be wrong. But as was said, their uniforms will likely hurt them, at least in the short run.

Edited by Cleveland1

As background, I'm a guard girl and DM from way back as in my signature below. Started viewing Fan Network about 3-4 years ago and attended 2 DCI finals in the past 4 years.

When I watch WGI FN, guards get 0, 1, 2, 3 smiley faces. When I watch DCI FN, I write a few notes beside a printed page, otherwise I'm watching and listening intently.

My notes beside BK on June 21 in Stanford California were 'sparkling and refreshing like a breath of fresh air'. For what it's worth BD got 'delightful and so Fellini' :)

I think I'd like it more without the narration, which was what I liked least about their show last year and which certainly is much more prominent this year, but I'll have to hear it again.

I like the narration.

So many times, it's hard to really connect the movements with the overall theme of the show. Narration helps. BK's narration isn't over-the-top...but rather understated and does a good job of setting up the next "chapter" of the story.

Edited by Gloryah

I guess for me, drum corps is more of an abstract art than a narrative art. When I see an orchestra, for the most part, there's no need for someone to say, "And now Beethoven wants you to know that fate is knocking at the door". It worked that way for years in drum corps, too. Way more than 90% of the best drum corps shows ever have zero narration; in fact, fewer than ten shows over the past ten yeas (since amplified voice was first allowed) even have tolerable narration.

• Like 1