Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

OK, Sacramento notwithstanding. You still have many shows out here with ONLY Open Class at it. The majority of California shows though have a decent lineup most of the time, you have to admit. I just think you're overstating the crappiness part of it. Get in the car and travel out here then. I go to Texas every year, and often Allentown, Atlanta, wherever. Two years ago I went to Stanford. And I'm from Indianapolis, home of DCI Finals!

I'm lucky to live in SoCA where the line-ups are annually decent, albeit the same corps. Every night. Every year (with MAYBE one exception, like Crossmen this year or Crown last year).

When I lived in OH, I could drive a few hours and probably catch all of the Top 12 at different shows without breaking the budget. As a teacher, who's married to a teacher, with two kids (or at least, one 12 year old now, one infant due in a few weeks) traveling across the country to see drum corps is a luxury that is not in our budget.

Like I said, though, I don't fret it much: Fan Network is a great alternative so I don't have many complaints

That inflation trend follows BD like the plague and you know it. It could have been a show in ICELAND and they would have scored higher than they deserved. You get the point I hope. Plus, tonight has really never happened before. You can go back the previous 30 years and not find an 86 on July 3rd. It's an outlier and certainly not common.

Ah yes: the "inflation" argument. Or to be more precise, when a corps is consistently dominant early season to nearly every other corps they see on a regular basis. Their closest "competition" tonight was Madison Scouts, who is no where NEAR the level of BD, who were nearly 10 pointed! They scored an 84.9 last night over Cavaliers 81.

For a judge, when a corps is that much better than the next-closest corps, it's easy to pop a huge spread, and do that X5 and before you know it the overall number is high. Once Devs go up against Cadets and Crown, we'll see where the numbers/spreads are I guess.

I appreciate the spreads argument, because that's how it should be. But unfortunately you and I both know judges look across the country at every recap. They see the 86. They see Cadets/Bluecoats/Crown at 80-81. They know what's up. Sure, the gap won't be 5 points, but it will automatically be 2 or 3 whenever east finally meets west. It sets a very obvious tone unfortunately, and it seems to happen all the time, regardless of the performances on the field. It takes several shows to close that gap too. It just seems to be that way all the time. Crown had the fortunate tour schedule last year of keeping that trend off base, by meeting BD every single night for the first half of the year.

This year, ouch. The Cadets are incredibly strong, Bluecoats are unbelievable and probably the best they've ever been, and Crown has some of the most difficult writing musically that the activity has ever seen. Yet when these corps meet up, BD will be ahead of every one of them. Will they be deserving? That's to be determined. But you have to think this 86 to 81 spread right now sets a pretty obvious outcome for the future weeks ahead. We shall see.

I appreciate the spreads argument, because that's how it should be. But unfortunately you and I both know judges look across the country at every recap. They see the 86. They see Cadets/Bluecoats/Crown at 80-81. They know what's up. Sure, the gap won't be 5 points, but it will automatically be 2 or 3 whenever east finally meets west. It sets a very obvious tone unfortunately, and it seems to happen all the time, regardless of the performances on the field. It takes several shows to close that gap too. It just seems to be that way all the time. Crown had the fortunate tour schedule last year of keeping that trend off base, by meeting BD every single night for the first half of the year.

This year, ouch. The Cadets are incredibly strong, Bluecoats are unbelievable and probably the best they've ever been, and Crown has some of the most difficult writing musically that the activity has ever seen. Yet when these corps meet up, BD will be ahead of every one of them. Will they be deserving? That's to be determined. But you have to think this 86 to 81 spread right now sets a pretty obvious outcome for the future weeks ahead. We shall see.

IDK. I do know several DCI judges, and I can tell you that many of them don't WANT to see recaps of shows they don't judge: they don't want to be unduly influenced.

I think looking at Blue Devils consistency for the last couple of decades it's obvious that with few exceptions they are at for very close to the top. Every single year. Heck, looking back at corpsreps BD has placed below Top 2 only 5 times since 1994! That's crazy consistent!! To me as an unbiased fan, that tells me that yes, BD does indeed contend for the Championship and dominate almost every single year. Last season at Finals they were nearly 8 points over Scouts, and tonight (with what I believe is a better show), they are 9+ points over Scouts. Last night Blue Devils were just under 4 points ahead of Cavaliers, and last year at Finals they were about 7+ points over Cavaliers.

So in that regard, the spreads are very much plausible. BD won't see any legit competition until July 8 when they see Bluecoats, Cadets on July 9, and will be up against Cadets, Crown and Bluecoats at the July 13 show. Will be a fun season!

Should be a fun one!

This year, ouch. The Cadets are incredibly strong, Bluecoats are unbelievable and probably the best they've ever been, and Crown has some of the most difficult writing musically that the activity has ever seen. Yet when these corps meet up, BD will be ahead of every one of them. .

And please tell me that nobody is surprised with this.

• Like 1

IDK. I do know several DCI judges, and I can tell you that many of them don't WANT to see recaps of shows they don't judge: they don't want to be unduly influenced.

I don't believe this for one second. I've been up in and around the judging areas on many occasions, and have been around *some* of these guys/gals at area marching band and winter drumline shows and they are all grasping for the recaps at the first available opportunity, including from other shows. If their mantra is different for DCI, it's news to me. I wish your comments were correct though, in a perfect world.

Finals needs to be out there

• Like 1

!

My guess , you are not including the " DCI judges you know " the DCI judge that brought the scores with him from a previous show ( he didn't judge at ) to the show he was judging at, then accidentally and embarrassingly ( to both himself, and DCI, and the judging community ) left behind that crumpled up scrap of paper in the booth with the previous placements, caption scores from the previous show. So my experience tells me, you definately don't know THAT DCI judge anyway apparently..

Edited by BRASSO

Finals needs to be out there

I agree! The ladies first went to finals 2007 (after many decades of not watching drum corps). I went with them 2010 and 2013 (and didn't tell them about DCP let alone RAMD oh my). There's talk of going in 2015. I may say no; there you go :smile:

Two things;

1. Where is this money coming from for all of these corps to travel out west. There is a reason they don't.

2. We need to get back to local/regional touring not national touring. The whole touring for thousands of miles a summer thing is the biggest reason why hundreds of corps folded. The financial burden just for east coast corps to stay east is enough.

I understand it stinks majorly. I would probably lose my mind, but we have to be realistic about touring schedules. What you are asking for will reduce the life expectancy of DCI very quickly.

I have been saying for years that we need to go back to a local/regional model. You are only allowed to compete in your region for the first 2/3rds of the season. Then the top corps from that region qualify to compete in a national tour that would last 2-3 weeks while the regional tours continue happening.

4 regions, top 5 or so from each region move on to the championship circuit.

Then corps 6 and below from each region can continue traveling locally competing for a regional championship.

This would mean more local shows for everyone, which equals lower ticket prices. You eliminate the necessity of a young corps to have to travel more than it needs to. This means more corps can survive on a smaller budget. Plus lower corps competing for regional championships will be much more enticing to new talent.

It's a no lose situation, and a no brainer.

If DCI needs help setting this up, they can PM me.

• Like 1