Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

Full judging panels have nothing to do with what this rant was about! The fact is, it is not fair that drum corps fans on the west coast only get to see early versions of only a few top World Class drum corps every year live. There have been a couple exceptions when Finals were in Denver and Pasadena (I am not counting the Tour of Champions that happened one year after Finals). Unfortunately, complaining about it will not change anything. Nothing is going to change until the contract with Lucas Oil is up. Maybe DCI will throw us a bone and have Finals out here again before they sign another long term agreement. It is what it is!

I am from Indianapolis, and I would enjoy having Finals in California again, trust me. Or Denver, or Tempe, or wherever else that we can get away from this acoustic nightmare and snake oil promise that DCI sold to us with Lucas.

• Like 1

I am from Indianapolis, and I would enjoy having Finals in California again, trust me. Or Denver, or Tempe, or wherever else that we can get away from this acoustic nightmare and snake oil promise that DCI sold to us with Lucas.

Wow you act like it's the worst thing in the world having finals there. The acoustics are night and day from when they were first at Lucas Oil until now. I've been to multiple finals and the last couple I haven't had a single issue with the sound. I know I'm not the only one that hasn't either but there will always be those that will hate it no matter what because it's in a dome and won't change their opinion until it's outside again.

• Like 1

Wow you act like it's the worst thing in the world having finals there. The acoustics are night and day from when they were first at Lucas Oil until now. I've been to multiple finals and the last couple I haven't had a single issue with the sound. I know I'm not the only one that hasn't either but there will always be those that will hate it no matter what because it's in a dome and won't change their opinion until it's outside again.

Not a single issue, really??

There are pluses to finals in Indy, and there have been some annoying as hell sound issues in outdoor finals locations...and the sound in LOS is better than it was in 2009...but being up past mid height or so can really be the pits.

• Like 1

It is easy to say the acoustics are great IF you've got perfect seats, but If you're outside the 35's, or at a certain level, it has no comparison to an outdoor venue. Black seats are only available for so many people each year... :)

I like Indianapolis since it's in my backyard, and I enjoy it for marching band, football, monster truck rallies (ok maybe not that), but I am particularly picky when it comes to drum corps. I've been spoiled with venues like Madison, Mile High, Foxboro, BLOOMINGTON!, or even Drums in the Slums in Orlando... and I would attend any one of those venues again in a heartbeat over Indy. I did not say it's the worst thing in the world, but I will say it is preferred TO ME to be at any other outdoor venue for watching drum corps.

It has also been my experience that those individuals a lot older than I prefer drum corps indoors. And that's fine, as people age, they tend to prefer to be as comfortable as possible. Things aren't as easy as they use to be to many people, many of who I am proud to call my great friends, but to ME, as a 30-something drum corps fan for only 19 or so years now, it is still preferred to be outdoors, even if it is over 85 degrees, or baking in the sun. But that's just ME. You don't have to agree.

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 2

Finals needs to be out there.

I would say Finals needs to be somewhere other than Indianapolis at least once every three years, and low-precipitation-summer California is the logical choice.

• Like 1

with two kids (or at least, one 12 year old now, one infant due in a few weeks)

Congratulations.

I would say Finals needs to be somewhere other than Indianapolis at least once every three years, and low-precipitation-summer California is the logical choice.

Here here! I'm with you.

• Like 1

Not Tempe. Can easily be 110, 115 degrees. Not even guaranteed dry weather as it will be monsoon season.

Wow, you act like it's the worst thing in the world having Finals there. The acoustics are night and day from when they were first at Lucas Oil until now. I've been to multiple Finals and the last couple, I haven't had a single issue with the sound. I know I'm not the only one that hasn't either, but there will always be those that will hate it no matter what, because it's in a dome and won't change their opinion until it's outside again.

No, it really is that bad. But it may depend on where you're sitting. There seems to be a relatively small area where the sound is pretty good. But in my 500-level seats (I think they were; fairly high up, anyway) in 2012 you couldn't hear any of BD's Dada narration, and that was true both sitting pretty far left for the competition and sitting dead center (on the same level) for the encore. Literally, you could not hear it. I asked my friend who had not seen BD's show before (and he liked it, by the way) if he had heard the narration, and he said, "What narration?"

Not that I cared about missing those sampled voices, but it was a clear indication that we weren't hearing what the corps wanted us to hear. And while I wasn't there last year, some people on these forums who have good center, mid-level seats were shocked to later see video of Crown taken from a couple sections behind them. The sound was worlds different, and it wasn't a question of the recording. Truly many audience members are having that poor an experience. And I paid Bluecoats $125 each for my 2012 tickets. That's four times what I paid per ticket for Massillon last year, where the sound I heard from Cadets, Crown, and Bluecoats easily surpassed what lots of people heard from them in Lucas Oil a few days later.

• Like 1

I like Indianapolis since it's in my backyard, and I enjoy it for marching band, football, monster truck rallies (ok maybe not that), but I am particularly picky when it comes to drum corps. I've been spoiled with venues like Madison, Mile High, Foxboro, BLOOMINGTON!, or even Drums in the Slums in Orlando... and I would attend any one of those venues again in a heartbeat over Indy.

Arrowhead Stadium at Kansas City seems to have had fantastic acoustics. If you listen to even the 25th-place corps from 1989, it sounds so good.

• Like 2