Crown Percussion

7th. Terrible. Worst percussion ever.

What's worse are the other 30 percussion sections that scored lower during finals week.

Thirty.

It's more a matter of why is brass so strong, and percussion a drop off, regardless of how much.

Their brass is a clinic in performance year after year, and the percussion is just not on the same level, 7th place or not.

Do you hear people rave about their percussion, regardless of 30 groups being behind them?

I don't, and in my opinion, at the musicL level they are looking to achieve, that makes a 7th place percussion section a major drop in many peoples eyes.

• Like 1

It's more a matter of why is brass so strong, and percussion a drop off, regardless of how much.

Their brass is a clinic in performance year after year, and the percussion is just not on the same level, 7th place or not.

Do you hear people rave about their percussion, regardless of 30 groups being behind them?

I don't, and in my opinion, at the musicL level they are looking to achieve, that makes a 7th place percussion section a major drop in many peoples eyes.

JohnZ edited my post, so the intent is not there. It was directed towards Nach. C, with a GIF and other comments following it, along with a serious invitation for Nach C to come discuss his issues with the corps elsewhere. I guess that was a personal attack. Who knows, maybe this will be edited too.

I'd like to know more about why a (Box 5) score of 18.45 out of 20, while admittedly only 7th place among what is presumably the best marching percussion anywhere, is considered not "good". Not "great" perhaps, but not even "good"?

Just an fyi to anyone who thinks coming in 7th had a huge impact on their placement...if Crown had been as high as 4th in percussion they would still have ended up in 5th place. They would have had to be 3rd in percussion to move their overall placement up to 4th. Even if they had been 1st in percussion they would have still placed 4th. Of course, placing that much higher in percussion would have had an impact in other captions, at least slighlly.

• Like 1

Maybe Crown's percussion was really good, but they were overmoderated and had the meat of their book sucked out? :)

AS A GENERAL STATEMENT NOT DIRECTED TOWARDS ANYONE IN PARTICULAR..... If you are a Crown alumnus (yes the singular kind not the plural "alumni" unless you are more than one person), please join us on the Carolina Crown Alumni group where we share all sorts of ideas, thoughts, concerns, and favorite baking recipes!

No one here wants to see our dirty bloomers. Cheers

Just an fyi to anyone who thinks coming in 7th had a huge impact on their placement...if Crown had been as high as 4th in percussion they would still have ended up in 5th place. They would have had to be 3rd in percussion to move their overall placement up to 4th. Even if they had been 1st in percussion they would have still placed 4th. Of course, placing that much higher in percussion would have had an impact in other captions, at least slighlly.

True, but a better percussion section (design & performance) could have also helped their Music Effect scores, and maybe Music Analysis.

Of course, their bigger problems last year were not in music...

I do think, though, from a music standpoint percussion is weaker than brass for Crown. As others have pointed out here and in other threads throughout the last 12+ months, the competition is insane in percussion and placing 6th behind SCV, BD, Bluecoats, Cadets, and Cavaliers is not bad. If the corps thinks bringing in Tom Aungst will help them put a better percussion section on the field (he likely will, regardless of placement change) why not make a change?

I tried whole grain waffles this weekend.

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “#### waffles.” -George Carlin

I'd like to know more about why a (Box 5) score of 18.45 out of 20, while admittedly only 7th place among what is presumably the best marching percussion anywhere, is considered not "good". Not "great" perhaps, but not even "good"?

This is perhaps the most profound post of the day here on DCP.

People need to get a grip.

My only answer to this is: Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.