Crown Percussion

Ok...what I'm going to say ACTUCKER is sacrasm but not aimed at you. For all the Crown alumi who have just let loose against me, why are you not pouncing on actucker. Isn't he part of the problem rather than the solution? Actucker, I actually agree with you in you last post. There is little musically in battery ram and for me, the muffler thing didn't work because it sounded like high pitched sounding white noise. No good delineation of acutal notes being played. It just wasn't very musical playing to me.

I don't mind owning my own words, sir. What i dislike very much is hypocrisy and double standard and I will point it out to certain users on a consistent basis. The point is not woe is me but to highlight people's hypocrisy and double standard. But I do understand how you would perceive what I'm doing as feeling sorry for myself.

Edited by Nachfolger Christi

Actually, if you want to base your evaluation on the numbers, it would suggest that educationally, their program was less than stellar this year (pun intended). Early in the season, Crown was competitive in percussion with the programs that were at the top. They came out of the gate in and out of contention with Cavaliers and others that by season's end were beating them consistently. That would suggest that the improvement happening at other corps was not happening at Crown. That would suggest that the staff was not getting results.

I am not claiming this to be truth. Simply pointing out that by the numbers, that's what you could extrapolate. I wasn't on tour with them, so I have no idea. I would guess that its far more complicated than that.

That being said, from a GE perspective, I have to disagree with you. I thought both features went on far longer than they could sustain in terms of musical interest. The muffler idea was cool, but not interesting enough to be as long as it was (which I would guess was necessary in order to make the transition to high brass backfield). The second feature was similar in nature. Interesting for a few seconds, but repetitive and tiresome by the time the brass came back in. Front exposure was very very slim in the show. Not sure if that was by design due to a lack of talent in the membership, or simply a musical choice, but I personally prefer a more involved front ensemble. From an effect standpoint, the best part of the percussion book was when the brass WAS playing. It supported the brass book extremely well. It just didn't do anything for me otherwise. Obviously that's all opinion.

I looked up some data on FrontEnsemble.org and basically confirmed your comments, at least in part. They actually beat the Cadets in percussion at one early show. However on average they probably only dropped .3 or something. Maybe .5.

Side note: Bknights.org's scores site doesn't work anymore, and they have a revamped website. Is that resource gone permanently? If so that's tragic.

Back to Crown perc: Dropped relative scores generally suggest insufficient demand. But it seems unlikely Thom Hannum wouldn't get that right, right?

I don't mind owning my own words, sir. What i dislike very much is hypocrisy and double standard and I will point it out to certain users on a consistent basis. The point is not woe is me but to highlight people's hypocrisy and double standard. But I do understand how you would perceive what I'm doing as feeling sorry for myself.

Most of your posts are you crying about these "Crown alumni" assailing you (which, I suspect, is far fewer that you lead us to believe). They must be doing it privately (which is their right), because they sure aren't doing it publicly. Fun fact: whining constantly diminishes the validity of your original message, which most folks posting in this thread largely agree with.

Grow up.

ANYWAY! Now I'm excited to hear and see Crown's percussion!

Edited by boxingfred
  • Like 3

you must hate living in the world today, because double standards and hypocrisy are all over the place.

Back to Crown perc: Dropped relative scores generally suggest insufficient demand. But it seems unlikely Thom Hannum wouldn't get that right, right?

If you watch the Vic Firth videos to learn the parts for both Crown and Cadets, the difference in difficulty of the books is off the charts.

Both Cadets and SCV had books far more complex than Crown and were performed at a high level. I would believe Bluecoats book would be harder as well. I've just not physically seen any of the parts written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFH3--xV3b8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yOYRpKPfAw