DCI Live! 2015 Status and Assistance

Hey Y'all.
So I'm making this thread to specifically discuss how to maximize your experience on DCI Live!. It seemed that last night there was TONS of repeated posts about the audio and video sync issues on multi cam, the fact that commercials were playing when you refreshed the stream, and stuttering video. It seems kinda pointless to have 5 different people post the same thing, but no solutions, which is one of the reasons why I am starting this thread.

So, this thread IS NOT for people to discuss the shortcomings of the new platform in comparison to the fan network. I would like to ask you to refrain from posting anything along the lines of "Man it sucks there is no DVR feature!" or "The fan network let me log in simultaneously on several computers!". Neither is it for complaining about DCI. You can go to the "Fan Network 2015" thread for that

I am going to keep this original post updated with your suggestions for making the stream work better, and the status of the live feeds according to the best use case. So if you see on this post that there are audio video sync issues, you don't need to make another post about it. I would ask that you simply find the most recent report of the problem you are having and "Like it" so people can see how many people have the same problem.

LIVE FEED STATUS:
HIGH CAM: Broadcasting
Issues:

MULTI CAM: Broadcasting
Issues:

SUGGESTIONS:
Best "Browser" (iOS): Use the DCI.org app

*iPad users please note, there are some reported issues with the iPad app and it is recommended you search for the iPhone app and use it on your iPad. Also, Check to make sure the iOS device is not on silent if you are having issues with no sound

Best Browser (Windows): Google Chrome
Best Browser (Mac OS X): Firefox or Safari (Instructions below are for windows only)

How to get rid of the ads:

Install this plug in: Ad Block Plus

Restart your browser

In the top left corner of chrome, you should see a red stop sign with an ABP in it(Or double arrows like >>, which clicking on it will show you the stop sign)

Click the red stop sign, and then click options. Make sure the EasyList checkbox is marked

Suggestions from DCI Live! Chat (As posted by dsefton):

1) Clear your Cookies/Cache:

Click the three bars in the top left corner of google chrome

Click Settings

Click "Show advanced settings" at the bottom of the screen

Under Privacy, Click "Clear Browsing Data..."

Set "Obliterate the following items from: " to "The beginning of time"

Make sure only the "Cookies and other site and plugin data" and "Cached images and files" boxes are checked

Click "Clear Browsing Data"

2) Make sure your browser and flash versions are up to date:

Click the three bars in the top left corner of google chrome

Click About Google Chrome

Look at the version number, it should be at least 43.0, There should be a button under the version number that lets you update

Look under Adobe Flash Player, the version number should be at least 18.0

If its not, god help you, updating flash can be a pain or a sinch

3) Make sure you have sufficient storage:

Right click on the video player, select "Settings..."

Move the slider to the right to at last 1 MB, I personally just leave it at unlimited

Click close (Do not click "Never ask again")

4) Lower the quality on the player:

Just leave the quality on "Best". This will select the best resolution wont cause it to stutter

Check your speed at Speedtest.net

"Reset" your internet (as suggested by BlueStainGlass)

1) Search for "cmd" and open it

2) Type "ipconfig/flushdns" and hit enter

SET-UPs:

Clutchtow:

Internet Speed: 108 MB/s down, 21 MB/s Up

Processor: i7 - 3770K @ 3.5Ghz (Quad Core)

GPU: AMD Radeon 7970

Set-up: Playing through desktop monitor via a DVI cable

Results: 720p, no stuttering (High Cam)

Runner235:

Set-up: Ubuntu server downloading raw feed from .flv file

Results: Nearly perfect download, but not recommended for people not good with computers

Wvu80:

Internet Speed: 50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up

Processor: AMD @ 3.4 GHz (Quad Core)

GPU: GEO Force GTX 650 Ti

Set-up: Over the ear headphones

Results: 720p, Excelent Audio, Excellent Video

WHO TO GET ANGRY AT:
Internet streaming is complicated. There are a ton of steps in between the field and your computer, so it turns out its not always DCI's fault. So here is a short rundown on how it works and who's fault it is for your issue.

Stuff DCI is in control of:

The video and the audio are recorded at the stadium. This then is converted into 1's and 0's, passed along a long wire into some room at the stadium. There, the data is slightly modified (ie, which camera is being shown in multi cam) and then sent on its way to the internet. Poor camera work, audio/visual sync issues, and poor microphone placement all causes issues at this step, and this stuff is DCI's fault.

Stuff NeuLion is in control of:

From the internet, the data first goes to the servers at NeuLion. Here, NeuLion converts the media into various formats for different devices, and then takes requests from your computer to see where it should send the stream. NueLion is a huge content provider, so they effectively have unlimited bandwidth, which is why DCI moved to this platform. Issues like the video not playing on mobile devices happen at this step and would be NeuLions fault.

Stuff your ISP is in control of:

From NeuLion, the data goes back on the internet with your home as its intended destination. Your ISP (Internet Service Provider) gets to control how fast that data flows. Some ISP's do this really annoying thing (looking at you Comcast) where they will throttle your speed if traffic on the internet picks up a ton. This can cause your internet to slow down in the evening when everyone is trying to watch Netflix.

Stuff you are in control of! Mostly...:

Once the data reaches your house, it jumps between a few different things. The data will first go to your modem, which will figure out which data you actually care about. Then it goes to your router, which converts the data into a wireless signal. The wireless signal gets picked up by a fancy chip in your computer, which then processes the signal, and converts it into a displayable feed which shows up on your monitor. If any of these are not up to the task of streaming, then you are gonna have issues. Stuttering and freezing is either your fault, or your ISP's. Its actually pretty hard to tell cause the ISP's like to make it difficult to blame them for poor service. There is a small chance that it comes from further down the pipe, but if thats the case, then everyone should be having problems, not just a percentage.

There you have it. Just remember to direct your rage at the appropriate person! :-)

Edited by Clutchtow
  • Like 3

Runner:

-2011 MacBook Air

- iPad

-Ubuntu server htpc

Setup:

- iPad fail

- chrome as IPad user agent fail

- MacBook live streaming survived a pre show and then I fell asleep

- Ubunutu server capture of the raw feed that was being displayed by the .flv? Completely clean and awesome minus 3 encoding issues somewhere in the four hour feed.

Looks like I'll have to continue to capture the background video files and reassemble after the fact to which works fine for my own DVR purposes. With young kiddos, sitting down and watching live ain't going to happen.

Didn't try the multicam after the issues in the preview show

OP updated with info on who you should direct your rage depending on the problem.

Muncie stream is up, there is no highcam feed since this will be an indoor standstill performance due to weather.

I think someone just hooked Pandora into the speaker system there...

Edited by Clutchtow

Muncie stream is up, there is no highcam feed since this will be an indoor standstill performance due to weather!

i was starting to worry that someone screwed up...was hearing only left channel and not right...

edit: its happening again...lol

Edited by Liahona

i was starting to worry that someone screwed up...was hearing only left channel and not right...

edit: its happening again...lol

I think they are just messing with the audio levels and trying to get it right, considering it keeps fading to one channel and then both, and then out...

Muncie Indiana, standstill. This is an analytic post of the broadcast quality, not a critical one of the performances.

Setup: Win 7, Firefox, all latest versions. Asus MB AMD 3.4 Mz quad core, 8 GB RAM, running sound out of the MB. Video is PCI Express X16 Gen 2, GEO Force GTX 650 Ti, 1G video memory. This was a home build 5 year-old gaming computer.

Internet: 50 Mbps down, 5 Mbps up, measured. Broadcast video shows 720p. I have found 480p is excellent, anything above that is incrementally better audio wise.

Sound: I have now listened to the standstill of Boston and Madison. I have a better than average Klipsch speaker setup, but due to wife considerations I am listening to better than average over-the-ear headphones, Monster Inspiration.

There is excellent stereo separation from L/R with the phones on, drums in front Boston, drums on left Madison. Dynamics are good overall, but not as good as my preferred playback on Bluray disc, which is state of the art as good as it gets. Drums are articulate, much more than the brass. I can hear every bass drum, every tenor lick clear as a bell. I can audibly place every instrument on the stage as if I were sitting in the audience.

The brass sound is not as separate, but the corps were in mixed ranks (not by section) so I would expect a balanced brass sound and that is what I hear.

Audio/Video playback: No dropouts, sound is better than average, and the 720p picture is sharp and clear.

Conclusion: Excellent broadcast, excellent audio, excellent video. No complaints from this listener.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

iPad and Apple TV will not work for several weeks as per DCI. *sigh*

• Like 1