The Rise of Pseudointellectuals on DCP

I think there are times when the term "Quasi" is more appropriate than "Pseudo."

For example, it's rare that one would ever use the term "Pseudo-Neanderthal." I think the more appropriate term would be "Quasi-Neanderthal."

Then Dr. Bryan Sykes had better get to work. There's been a new classification to his thesis.

Edited by HornTeacher

Pseudointellectual? Wow, I am moving up in the world. I used to only aspire to pseudointellectualism! :wink:

The climb to the top of the pseudoingtellectualism mountain is filled by those who strove mightily, but in the end, regrettably came up short with their peers in that climb to the top. It was mostly the lack of sufficient warm clothing, proper boots, oxygen, good set of binoculars, proper gloves, etc that kept them from the rarified air that others were apparently able to attain.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the intelligent thing to do now would be for the mods here to close this thread now on the claim of the rise of pseudointellectualism on here.

I think by now, if there are any more pseudointellectuals that are contemplating rising up on here, they have been sufficiently warned not to rise up any more.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Personally, I think drum corps at the top level are better now than anytime I can remember, even with the body movements and electronics. However, I think the activity has lost a lot over the last 20 years in terms of the competitiveness at the mid and lower levels.

I disagree on both levels. I believe that the overall quality of the activity has leveled off closer to two standard deviation of the mean on a bell curve.

I'm not saying that the top corps aren't incredible. I'm saying that their level balances out many of the lower corps around the mean.

Back in the day, there were some not so good sounds and sights coming out of the lower corps, and the middle corps ( 25th - 13th) had some intonation issues et cetera ( some due to the instruments, some due to playing over the edge of good sound), and visual issues that were poor at times and from member to member. Even finalists had issues here and there ( instruments and blend). However, I feel that the top few shows each year had a sparkle that is sometimes missing in today's top shows; certainly the harmonic overtones are very different. Much of the time there more big wow moments and unison visual moments that I felt added GE. Now it's a different GE animal, but with Cesario around, he seems to be trying to get all the corps to think about the wow moments too.... Anyway, just a different point of view....

I believe that the quality of instruments and instruction of today has made a big difference in raising the quality at the lower and middle levels of the activity, but the top has certainly changed.

Edited by jjeffeory

I disagree on both levels. I believe that the overall quality of the activity has leveled off closer to two standard deviation of the mean on a bell curve.

I'm not saying that the top corps aren't incredible. I'm saying that their level balances out many of the lower corps around the mean.

Back in the day, there were some not so good sounds and sights coming out of the lower corps, and the middle corps ( 25th - 13th) had some intonation issues et cetera ( some due to the instruments, some due to playing over the edge of good sound), and visual issues that were poor at times and from member to member. Even finalists had issues here and there ( instruments and blend). However, I feel that the top few shows each year had a sparkle that is sometimes missing in today's top shows; certainly the harmonic overtones are very different. Much of the time there more big wow moments and unison visual moments that I felt added GE. Now it's a different GE animal, but with Cesario around, he seems to be trying to get all the corps to think about the wow moments too.... Anyway, just a different point of view....

I believe that the quality of instruments and instruction of today has made a big difference in raising the quality at the lower and middle levels of the activity, but the top has certainly changed.

In other words, the bell curve has shifted to the right by two standard deviations, I get it. I probably agree.

I look at PC, and Surf, and the rest up to numbers 15 and higher and I see market improvement in both the quality of their organizations and their corps performances. 20 years ago I never watched or cared below the top-12, but today I find tons of good stuff all the way down to Academy and beyond.

Yes, there are still the "fat tail" corps that live two standard deviations out of the norm, but the curve has improved in the last couple of decades, IMO.

The climb to the top of the pseudoingtellectualism mountain is filled by those who strove mightily, but in the end, regrettably came up short with their peers in that climb to the top. It was mostly the lack of sufficient warm clothing, proper boots, oxygen, good set of binoculars, proper gloves, etc that kept them from the rarified air that others were apparently able to attain.

When I first embarked on my journey, I brought a towel. The towel made all the difference.

• Like 1

When I first embarked on my journey, I brought a towel. The towel made all the difference.

When I envision climbing the cold Himalayas, I slowly take rest on a firm mattress with a cushy pillow til those bad visions in my head go away.

• Like 2

When I envision climbing the cold Himalayas, I slowly take rest on a firm mattress with a cushy pillow til those bad visions in my head go away.

When I bite into a York Peppermint Patty ...

• Like 2

I agree that the instruments have made a huge difference in the quality sound horns lines have across the board, and show design has improved even at the bottom 12 and into the top 25, my point was more of the number of corps that are competitive between 13 and 25, 30 years ago the difference between #25 and #12 was not that great, and there were 40-50 open class corps competing in DCI shows (some maybe shouldn't have), but the interest and funding was there for a much larger activity than we see today.