Alumni Spectacular in 2016?

Thanks that sounds like what I saw. But first time I heard of a correction......

The audience was pretty small, which I thought was a shame because I think anyone would find several of the performances there quite enjoyable.

How long has DCA been hosting an Alumni Spectacular?

Since 1998 in Allentown ... Mickey Petrone saw it as a way for the Alumni Corps to showcase their talents and get a paycheck ... $5 a person to get in ... corps split the gate equally after some minimal DCA admin fees ... the Alumni movement was in its infancy in 98 ... fun time gig ...

:-)

The audience was pretty small, which I thought was a shame because I think anyone would find several of the performances there quite enjoyable.

How long has DCA been hosting an Alumni Spectacular?

Edited by ajlisko

I remember that show in Allentown well, seeing the Matadors that day was particularly exciting for me...........................as time went on from there, alumni corps were required to obtain rights to arrange and perform, provide adequate insurance, and, similar to the field corps, stay a commensurate number of hotel room nights, in order to share in the gate receipts of the show.......................the whole concept IMO was to give these great corps a venue to perform during DCA weekend, with the hopes that by bringing the corps to town, it would put more butts in seats for prelims and finals, not to mention that a lot of the I&E entrants come from the ranks of the corps and organizations that do not compete on the field.

Some of the requirements make for an expensive trip for alumni corps and their members, and as I understand it, some simply do not comply with some of the requirements, and do not buy seats to the two days of field competition, which in the end must effect DCAs overall ability to negotiate with and meet its obligations with tourist and convention bureaus,...............

• Like 1

And going with Garys comments some of the Alumni type corps have a selling point of it is a cheaper alternative to doing competitive corps. Add in the DCA requirements and *ouch*

Matadors appeared in 99 at the second Alumni show ... rainy, humid, miserable day ... Mickey's vision was simple ... DCA had use of the field for the entire weekend ... Sunday morning was "down time" and the field was available at no extra cost ... in those early days of the Alumni movement, there were not too many venues where more than two or three corps appeared (Grand Prix and Barnum come to mind) ... and paydays were few (except for parades) ... what Mickey came up with was simple ... charge five bucks ... let the corps and fans have fun ... split the gate ... and then have Finals later ... much later ... there was a good time gap between the Alumni show and Finals ... the cost of performing certainly escalated for the corps through the years ... and, IMO, the current ticket price for the Alumni Show is a huge deterrent for fan attendance ... Gary is correct ... it cost much more now for a corps to perform and the gate payout just isn't that great ... I believe the "music rights" thing applies to any corps performing at a DCA show during the season ...

I remember that show in Allentown well, seeing the Matadors that day was particularly exciting for me...........................as time went on from there, alumni corps were required to obtain rights to arrange and perform, provide adequate insurance, and, similar to the field corps, stay a commensurate number of hotel room nights, in order to share in the gate receipts of the show.......................the whole concept IMO was to give these great corps a venue to perform during DCA weekend, with the hopes that by bringing the corps to town, it would put more butts in seats for prelims and finals, not to mention that a lot of the I&E entrants come from the ranks of the corps and organizations that do not compete on the field.

Some of the requirements make for an expensive trip for alumni corps and their members, and as I understand it, some simply do not comply with some of the requirements, and do not buy seats to the two days of field competition, which in the end must effect DCAs overall ability to negotiate with and meet its obligations with tourist and convention bureaus,...............

Just an idea.......why not have alumni corps in the lot before finals? Two hours or so before finals while everyone is in the lot partying a bit. No drill to have to worry about for the older guy and gals. Wouldn't this give the alumni a bigger audience and probably more appreciative?

Just a thought!

Since 1998 in Allentown ... Mickey Petrone saw it as a way for the Alumni Corps to showcase their talents and get a paycheck ... $5 a person to get in ... corps split the gate equally after some minimal DCA admin fees ... the Alumni movement was in its infancy in 98 ... fun time gig ...

The Golden Era of the alumni corps, perhaps. So many alumni/exhibition corps came on the scene from basically 1988 or so through the late 90s. Many of them with a lot of members in the ranks.

Times have changed a bit.