The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

Drum Corpse International!

That has so many meanings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8187aknkY&feature=youtu.be

Get it while it's hot.

As I'm watching impressions:

• Bad camera angle, not forming any drill impressions.
  • Wow, that first brass entrance scared the crap outta me. That's always a good sign.
  • Transition out of the first section is pretty long without much going on, cute narration. I sense that will develop more, when the tempo picks back up they definitely regain my interest.
  • Man their brass sounds very good. On par with what I've heard of a few of last years finalists if I'm being honest. Some kind of white prop, can't tell what they are. Alters? Well utilized.
  • Brass stands out to me. Drums are solid as well.
  • Their adorable and entertaining front ensemble has more fun stuff this year. ARE THOSE MINI XYLOS ATTATCHED TO THEM? That's adorable. It's so corny but I love it.
  • That section kinda fizzles out. Sense that's a work in progress. Transitions need work.
  • Brass is hauling it during the Profokiev. Lots of "Here Comes the Bride" quotes.
  • Rest is stand still. They have about 8 minutes marching and playing.
  • The ballad is really nice! Great building momentum throughout it to the end of it. Lots of very recognizable music in this show. Great pit writing in the middle of this. Drumline seems really solid.

So if you don't feel like reading all of that, in short:

Some really really really nice moments. Highlights for me are:

• Opening hit and the build is fantastic, love the music from the Corpse Bride in the opening. Like I said, that made me jump.
  • Ballad is going to be REALLY nice, a nice contrast to last years BEAUTIFULLY subdued one, this one gets a little more in your face.
  • Brass in the front 6 minutes sounds VERY solid. If they get the rest sounding like that by next Saturday they'll have a great debut in California.
  • No idea on the quality, but the drill seems up a notch or two in difficulty.

Some things I'm not sure on yet, but it's freakin June 14th so I think it's just a work in progress and they haven't worked these things out yet:

• The transitions are pretty stark right now. I sense that's in development, so I'm not going to draw any conclusions there. There were definitely individual sections. This show is DEFINITELY not finished.
  • In particular, the transition after the opening takes a long time to go anywhere, not sure about that yet.
  • There are a ton of moments where I see some front ensemble stuff maybe, some body or visuals DEFINITELY added. We shall see.

Brass sounds good, drums as well, and the guard seems more involved so far this year. Lots of great, fun, recognizable music in there. The big moments are fantastic, the spots between are going to take work to develop and maintain interest. Considering it's not done, no costuming, ect., I'm not forming and thematic impressions yet. I've never seen anything from The Academy this early, and my first view of them last year was the Pasadena show video from well into the second or third week of the season last year so I suspect they looked about like this last year at this time.

I think this is a great preview into what they are going to do this summer. Some very strong bones in this one so far (no pun intended hehe). There is a ton of fleshing out that needs to be done, but enough great things that I'm very hopeful.

No prediction yet. Not sure about top 12, but they're off to a very solid start.

Overall Impression - Good, want to see more!

Loooooove that first hit. :music:

Agree. I saw the show as well and thought it to be a BIG step up from last year in both concept and performance.

How long has it been since a corps broke into the Top 12 for the first time? 15-20 years?

How are they coming along compared to last year in terms of how far into the show they are? Not sure since I haven't seen anything from them this early before. 8 minutes seems pretty solid for where they are.
Edited by DrumManTx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8187aknkY&feature=youtu.be

Get it while it's hot.

As I'm watching impressions:

• Bad camera angle, not forming any drill impressions.
  • Wow, that first brass entrance scared the crap outta me. That's always a good sign.
  • Transition out of the first section is pretty long without much going on, cute narration. I sense that will develop more, when the tempo picks back up they definitely regain my interest.
  • Man their brass sounds very good. On par with what I've heard of a few of last years finalists if I'm being honest. Some kind of white prop, can't tell what they are. Alters? Well utilized.
  • Brass stands out to me. Drums are solid as well.
  • Their adorable and entertaining front ensemble has more fun stuff this year. ARE THOSE MINI XYLOS ATTATCHED TO THEM? That's adorable. It's so corny but I love it.
  • That section kinda fizzles out. Sense that's a work in progress. Transitions need work.
  • Brass is hauling it during the Profokiev. Lots of "Here Comes the Bride" quotes.
  • Rest is stand still. They have about 8 minutes marching and playing.
  • The ballad is really nice! Great building momentum throughout it to the end of it. Lots of very recognizable music in this show. Great pit writing in the middle of this. Drumline seems really solid.

So if you don't feel like reading all of that, in short:

Some really really really nice moments. Highlights for me are:

• Opening hit and the build is fantastic, love the music from the Corpse Bride in the opening. Like I said, that made me jump.
  • Ballad is going to be REALLY nice, a nice contrast to last years BEAUTIFULLY subdued one, this one gets a little more in your face.
  • Brass in the front 6 minutes sounds VERY solid. If they get the rest sounding like that by next Saturday they'll have a great debut in California.
  • No idea on the quality, but the drill seems up a notch or two in difficulty.
Some things I'm not sure on yet, but it's freakin June 14th so I think it's just a work in progress and they haven't worked these things out yet:
  • The transitions are pretty stark right now. I sense that's in development, so I'm not going to draw any conclusions there. There were definitely individual sections. This show is DEFINITELY not finished.
  • In particular, the transition after the opening takes a long time to go anywhere, not sure about that yet.
  • There are a ton of moments where I see some front ensemble stuff maybe, some body or visuals DEFINITELY added. We shall see.

Brass sounds good, drums as well, and the guard seems more involved so far this year. Lots of great, fun, recognizable music in there. The big moments are fantastic, the spots between are going to take work to develop and maintain interest. Considering it's not done, no costuming, ect., I'm not forming and thematic impressions yet. I've never seen anything from The Academy this early, and my first view of them last year was the Pasadena show video from well into the second or third week of the season last year so I suspect they looked about like this last year at this time.

I think this is a great preview into what they are going to do this summer. Some very strong bones in this one so far (no pun intended hehe). There is a ton of fleshing out that needs to be done, but enough great things that I'm very hopeful.

No prediction yet. Not sure about top 12, but they're off to a very solid start.

Overall Impression - Good, want to see more!

Loooooove that first hit. :music:

How are they coming along compared to last year in terms of how far into the show they are? Not sure since I haven't seen anything from them this early before. 8 minutes seems pretty solid for where they are.

Holy #### that brass sounds amazing! I hope they make serious push for finals this year

I watch this. Many times.

Seriously, this will be a great show once they dress up the skeleton, and no matter where it places, I'll enjoy watching and listening over and over. Can't wait to see how they smooth out some of the rough spots. I feel there are more sound effects and electronics to be added.

Wow, so a few things: (Keep in mind I've been seeing their progress over a month or so)

1.) Their brass has matured so much, and now it's starting to sound amazing.

2.) Wooooooooooow that visual has cleaned up a lot since I last saw them.

3.) The Bari/Euph feature sounds miles better.

Then I agree on EVERYTHING DrumManTx said about them as well.

Really glad I got to see this - thanks!

As others have pointed out, some very nice things are beginning to take shape for this group. I was a little disappointed with the integration and transitions of the color guard, particularly during the opening. That feels a little like a missed opportunity, but obviously it's early and changes will be in store for everybody.

Without question, this is going to be a highly entertaining production by season's end. The ballad, I think, will sound wonderful if staged appropriately.

Looking forward to a great summer from The Academy!