How are announcers at DCI events chosen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... there is nothing like hearing Brandt introduce a corps.... gives me goosebumps.

The announcers are usually hired by the show sponsors.

I wasn't at Giants Stadium but I've been to more shows where Fran Haring has been the announcer than I can count. He's very good at what he does.

If he was consistently confused by the pre-show stuff, then it's because the pre-show stuff is designed in a way that confuses, not through any issues with his own performance.

Thank you Sam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wouldn't have been any problems with the announcer if they "hired" the RIGHT GUY (cough cough).

I'm just saying....sitting here....in southern California....not doing much....geezo Pete....loud Hawaiian shirts packed....ready to go....wherever...

I'm just sayin'....

Edited by Ryan H. Turner

And for the old timers ...

• Wes Hobby in New England (I know I'm spelling his name wrong). He always said, "Well folks, that narrows it down a bit", after announcing the third place corps.
  • Lew Runkle at the Reading show (and maybe a few at Hershey).

Wouldn't have been any problems with the announcer if they "hired" the RIGHT GUY (cough cough).

I'm just saying....sitting here....in southern California....not doing much....geezo Pete....loud Hawaiian shirts packed....ready to go....wherever...

I'm just sayin'....

get in here so we can hear you

Was at the Music In Motion Show at Giants Stadium on August 2. Could not believe how unprepared the announcer was. He was always late in asking Drum Majors whether their Corps was ready or the Drum Major just gave up and started the program and then the announcer asked him or her whether their corps was ready after they started. He had no energy. I'vd been to many DCI shows and have never heard an announcer who sounded so unprepared. Who hires them? He made other mistakes but I just mentioned the glaring ones. He was always behind what was happening on the field. Even when the Holy Name Alumni Corps and the current Corps ended their program there was no announcement stating the end of their program, so they just marched off. Hopefully the announcer at this event was substituting for the announcer who was originally booked to do the event.

My question: Any feedback on who hires them and holds them accountable for the job they do.

Well By now I think you know that what you took as late annoucing was actually several of the corps doing their on Field "pre show " warm up.

I can tell you Fran did what was asked of him and when he was cued he did just that. As far as other little things you might have noticed. I wonder if you have ever announced any event before. I have and boy its no walk in the park.

The good thing is now you are well informed so tomorrow night when you go and hear Brandt Crocker do it you will not have to post two threads about his so called mess up.

The other thing you will be happy with is that all the Drum Majors will be in attendance finals night since they have no place to go... :blink:

I'm just sayin'....

And I won't even mention "Fusion."

Ooops!! :blink:

*you KNEW that was coming, Ryan!*

Was at the Music In Motion Show at Giants Stadium on August 2. Could not believe how unprepared the announcer was. He was always late in asking Drum Majors whether their Corps was ready or the Drum Major just gave up and started the program and then the announcer asked him or her whether their corps was ready after they started. He had no energy. I'vd been to many DCI shows and have never heard an announcer who sounded so unprepared. Who hires them? He made other mistakes but I just mentioned the glaring ones. He was always behind what was happening on the field. Even when the Holy Name Alumni Corps and the current Corps ended their program there was no announcement stating the end of their program, so they just marched off. Hopefully the announcer at this event was substituting for the announcer who was originally booked to do the event.

My question: Any feedback on who hires them and holds them accountable for the job they do.

In case you haven't received your answer yet....

Some corps intentionally have the announcer wait till a specified moment at the beginning of their show to make the announcement. This year Crown, Vanguard and Cadets are doing that. They usually have a staff member with the announcer telling him/her when to make the announcement at start of the show.

The reason they do this is because the show timer doesn't start until the announcer says "DCI is proud to present Corps XYZ". At that point the penalties judge starts a timer. If it were up to the announcer alone to make the final announcement then the corps would end up going over time and get penalized for it.

As for who chooses announcers or how they are chosen, I don't know. Many major regionals are announced by Dan Potter and Brandt Crocker. The two of them tag team during championships week with Brandt doing the honors at finals as he has always done for decades.

Local shows usually have their own announcer. Sometimes the small shows get the same person who announces the school football games or it might be a local radio personality. Sometimes it's a band director and other times it may just be a band parent.