Jersey Surf 2012

It was exciting to watch the video of camp and see all those kids in attendance. How great is it that a lower tier corps can get such a big pool of talent? Hats off the Surf for doing such a good job recruiting. Anyone willing to share the secrets?

• Like 2

It was exciting to watch the video of camp and see all those kids in attendance. How great is it that a lower tier corps can get such a big pool of talent? Hats off the Surf for doing such a good job recruiting. Anyone willing to share the secrets?

Playing something appealing to everyone is a huge factor. If Surf had announced a rep based on the "wind ensemble flavor of the month" they'd have had half that many kids at camp.

• Like 2

Playing something appealing to everyone is a huge factor. If Surf had announced a rep based on the "wind ensemble flavor of the month" they'd have had half that many kids at camp.

Doubtful. Kids know the Bridgemen as one of those corps that isn't around anymore. Of course the nerdy ones will hype it and as it develops, they will learn more and more about the legacy of that particular corps.

But the Bridgemen are just one of those corps that didn't make it; their legacy helped shaped the activity but it's not like the rep is contributing THAT much.

• Like 1

Doubtful. Kids know the Bridgemen as one of those corps that isn't around anymore. Of course the nerdy ones will hype it and as it develops, they will learn more and more about the legacy of that particular corps.

Not doubtful at all. I have first-hand knowledge of the situation, and the program is a HUGE draw for Surf in 2012. What a corps plays, especially for corps in the lower half of the rankings, is enormously important.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

Not doubtful at all. I have first-hand knowledge of the situation, and the program is a HUGE draw for Surf in 2012. What a corps plays, especially for corps in the lower half of the rankings, is enormously important.

Again, doubtful. I understand that rep is important for those corps; if the show is cool, more people will choose X over Y. Doesn't change the perception of the Bridgemen as a bygone corps. Nor does it overpower other factors such as visibility, retention, location, etc. Show becomes the deciding factor when there are multiple lower-tier corps one could march with and must decide. Plain and simple, it may be presented as a draw by the staff who actually understands and cares about the Bridgemen.

• Like 1

"In the Stone"! Great choice! Could be fun a show!

I never even heard of the Bridgemen before seeing the Brass Roots videocassette c. 2000, but I suspect they influenced my college marching band, whose use of "In the Stone" as a de facto theme song no one could explain to me when I was a student -- in was early 1990s, long after the song, never a big hit, peaked at #23 on the R&B chart in 1979. It was even part of our pregame along with the fight song, alma mater and national anthem, and to judge from youtube it apparently still is. I look forward to seeing Surf's take on it!

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Again, doubtful. I understand that rep is important for those corps; if the show is cool, more people will choose X over Y. Doesn't change the perception of the Bridgemen as a bygone corps. Nor does it overpower other factors such as visibility, retention, location, etc. Show becomes the deciding factor when there are multiple lower-tier corps one could march with and must decide. Plain and simple, it may be presented as a draw by the staff who actually understands and cares about the Bridgemen.

Again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Seriously. This has little to do with the Bridgemen. Stop reading into what I said.

• Like 1

Again, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Seriously. This has little to do with the Bridgemen. Stop reading into what I said.

Their show is entitled "Bridgemania." I'm going to guess it has a little to do with the Bridgemen. :blink: Unless you have information NONE of us have. :ph34r: