Shows that changed drum corps?

Well then, I stand corrected. :cool:

How could I have forgotten New York Fantasy?! doh.gif

Edited by skajerk

Thank you Mr. Boo for showing with your specifics that NOTHING IS NEW IN DRUM CORPS and if you have the time and resources everything can be traced to the beginning of time (in drum corps speak). This further supports anyone who wants to bring back an "old idea" and give it a new run whether they do this consciously or by accident.

And this concept of "creating something original" reminds me of corps that were popular in the days when my drum corps was in its formative stages. These were names like Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Norwood Park Imperials, New York Skyliners and my favorite corps at that time, The Royal Airs. They had a great arranger named Truman Crawford who could write original works OR arrangements of covers but always in a style that was distinctively "Royal Airs." Just as there are creative teams today who can put together a work that blends many components from many sources and when it all comes together there is little doubt that it has been stamped with the identity of a particular corps. And the ones who are most successful at entertaining the audience are the ones who grow their fan base.

Regrettably, they don't always win the DCI championship, but they will someday win it when the rules change and the audience becomes the judge and gets the final vote. Hang in there. It will happen.

• Like 2

George Zingali's famous Z-pull by the 1983's Garfield Cadets deserves to be included, but many list the 1980 27th Lancers as groundbreaking, calling it George Zingali's first masterpiece, though some who marched with 27th will point to its 1979 predecessor as the one that changed drum corps.

Edited by Tim K

And this concept of "creating something original" reminds me of corps that were popular in the days when my drum corps was in its formative stages. These were names like Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights, Norwood Park Imperials, New York Skyliners and my favorite corps at that time, The Royal Airs. They had a great arranger named Truman Crawford who could write original works OR arrangements of covers but always in a style that was distinctively "Royal Airs." Just as there are creative teams today who can put together a work that blends many components from many sources and when it all comes together there is little doubt that it has been stamped with the identity of a particular corps. And the ones who are most successful at entertaining the audience are the ones who grow their fan base.

Well said.

Regrettably, they don't always win the DCI championship, but they will someday win it when the rules change and the audience becomes the judge and gets the final vote. Hang in there. It will happen.

But sorry, no. The activity is about competition and achievement against an established set of agreed-upon standards; leave it in the hands of the judges. None of that "text your vote to ..." stuff for me, thanks.

Peace,

Fred O.

• Like 1

Santa Clara Vanguard 1973, 1974 Young Persons Guide to the Orchestra...(using different tempos at the same time)

• Like 2

Wow, a reference to "Jade" that I'm not responsible for instigating. :innocent::cool::w00t::ph34r::worthy::shutup::tongue::thumbup: Whatever became of the composer? :w00t:

However, prior to 1983, the following original works were composed for drum corps. Larry Kershner and Dennis DeLucia composed "Picturas de España" for Muchachos back in 1974. Dan Spalding composed "Time Odyssey 7534" for Cavaliers in 1975. Ray Baumgardt wrote an original concert (untitled) standstill for Madison Scouts' first show in 1976...the disco show that got entirely thrown out halfway through the season. The famous Vaclav Nelybel composed "Argonne Fanfare" for Argonne Rebels in 1977. Wayne Downey wrote "New York Fantasy" for Blue Devils in 1980. (This was originally a full-length composition instead of just a fanfare and ended up only being heard in its entirety in Wayne's arrangement of the piece for Jenson Publishing's "State of the Art" marching band series.)

Kerchner also wrote "Espiritu de Espana" and "In Like a Lion" for the 81 and 82 Knights, respectively.

I always take issue with references to SVC '80 as a game changer.

In actuality less than 2 minutes of the show was asymmetrical.

The largest portion of the show was still done on a 50/50 split but with a rotated axis.

INT's latest show - "Waffles: Don't forget the syrup"

I can't believe you'd cheapen the waffles with another "INT" joke! :devil:

I always take issue with references to SVC '80 as a game changer.

In actuality less than 2 minutes of the show was asymmetrical.

The largest portion of the show was still done on a 50/50 split but with a rotated axis.

The concert set-up in "Evita" raised eyebrows. It wouldn't today, but the asymmetrical arc form was disconcerting. And then there was the comet form in "Jupiter." Anyhow; yes, it wasn't the entire show and not even the majority, but it did change the game. The next year, there was a lot of asymmetry. SCV had to break the mold and made it safe for other corps to do likewise, and that is game changing.

• Like 1