Just a Thought....

I don't believe the current structure of the sheets does enough. Point in case, almost every single corps that starts the season with electronic created balance issues, finishes the season with electronic created balance issues.

Balance issues are in the ears of the beholder. People who dislike them in any form will think that any audible electronic sound is a balance issue. I've heard some balance issues, of course...esp early season, but you hear them with ALL voices, not just electronic ones.

Look at scores in June and scores in August; the corps get better in all areas.

Just asking the question! I actually like it when done correctly! BUT I wanted to ask the question because I can. It's a question and NOT going after DCI. I LIKE THE PRODUCT!!!!

Understood...from reading past threads you like to pose these questions just to get dialogue going...that is a good thing, not a bad thing.

I am a dino,(fan since 62, marched 69-75 jr. amd sr.) several corps this year, with amps, electronics, and taped narration, were extremley enjoyable. Some were IMO dreadful. Don't put us all in the same basket!!

Or Geologic Period....as it were! :tongue:

Yes, it's true that some of you Dinos have evolved "differently" than others. Your brains are larger, your arms are longer (although I'd love to see a Tyrannosaurus Rex playing a #2 Bass Drum in the line....perfect fit), you frequent the interwebs, you think outside the hash marks and unresolved musical phrases don't confuse you.

BTW, if it wasn't abundantly obvious.........we love our Dinos here!

• Like 1

What are the chances of getting rid of electronics? Is it really necessary?

Chances are probably zero: and no, I don't think it's really necessary to get rid of electronics. I think plenty of groups use them effectively, and if we got rid of every aspect that isn't uniformly used effectively we'd have nothing left on the field. Percussion, brass, guard, visual design, EVERYTHING is used both well and poorly by someone very single year: electronics are no different.

What are the chances of getting rid of "Themes" and get back to playing recognizable music?

Chances of getting rid of "themes" is zero, as that seems to have been a trend for pretty much ever (even if the theme was 'patriotic music' that's still a theme).

As for recognizable music we still have that pretty prevalent. In 2012 DCI Finals alone we had:

* Children's Hour of Dream, Bela in B Flat (both popular charts from past shows), Rhapsody in Blue, and music from the 2012 Academy Award winner for best picture & original score

* Fanfare for the Common Man

* Music from Turandot, a popular opera that was also a popular field show rep. in the past

* Christmas Music

* Music from 'The Planets'

* Music from Phantom of the Opera

* Pines of Rome, Roman Festival (music from a popular former Championship Winning show)

* Malaga, Malaguena (two of the most over-played tunes in DCI history, IMO)

* Firebird Suite

* Sinatra & Lady freaking Gaga charts

That's just the Top 12! I historically DCI typically has a great mix of "songs I know" as well as "songs I don't know & I'm introduced to for the first time via drum corps." I personally LOVE that.

If DCI wants to make the consumer happy...is this the way?

I think there are plenty of happy consumers: are you talking about DCI doing things to attract new fans? That's the age-old question that DCI has been struggling with since their inception in the early 70's. Of course, there are FAR more aspects to the question of "what gets fans to pay for admission" other than music selection and technology used.

Both these things would make me very happy but to echo the response of others, the chances are zero.

I too would like to see these gone but I believe that it is up to the corps to remove the elements they do not need.

This year we had a couple of shows that had "historically art" themes. I happen to study art history so it got me to thinking.... knowing the history of the art movements of the 20th century and paralleling some of what CAN happen with drum corps. I WAS a person that believed that we should keep the activity somewhat PURE... introducing elements like Bb horns, electronics and so on altered the path AND I am not a big fan of todays corps.

This being said, I now believe we should remove ALL BOUNDARIES AND SEE WHERE IT GOES. WHY... Due to the history of art. At the turn of the last century, photography turned the art box of ideals upside down... and scattered it all out on the table. I think we should do the same with Drum Corps. Open up the gamut and see what happens.

If history proves itself, corps will follow the same paths that happened within art. Some will become very progressive, electronic and modern. Others will LEARN to deconstruct and create modern yet traditional corps. Post-Modern Drum Corps. The only thing getting in the way of these transformations is the rules.

Corps need to find their own roots and their own paths. They need to stop following one another and do their own things. Some will become corps we tradition oriented people are not fans of... others will embrace tradition as their new "theme".

This is only way to get back to the ROOTS of the OP. It will be a bumpy road of discovery. It will take HUGE BALLS for corps creatives to reflect backwards and deconstruct traditionalism. The ONE corps that takes this leap of faith will come out on top - on top in the FANs heart and if done well by the contest rules... On top in DCI.

(and it will have nothing to do with electronics, themes, Bb, multi-key and so on - It will have everything to do with balls out musicians and marching)

And although it probably doesn't seem like it a lot of the time, us Dinos love the Tadpoles right back!

Thank God I didn't have to march the drills you guys do. :worthy:

And thank God I didn't march ...period, having done less strenuous things in my youth like being an Army Ranger!

But no.......I'm just a mindless MM parent and lover of the art!

Edited by Plan9

I personally am one person who wished I marched now. I like a lot of the changes and am warming up to others. The arranging now is really creative and the use of other voices is ok too. I love having discussions with my son about the music they are playing now in band and am very glad it's tied closely to a big time drum corps.