Random Thoughts From DCI Buffalo

Too much to answer properly right now, so I'll just quickly note that an audience of 7,000+ at Massillon the very next night saw Cadets, Crown, and Bluecoats cheered loudly for all of them--and responded warmly (to say the least) to the other five corps as well (Cascades, Oregon, Crest, Academy, and Spirit). These people were definitely entertained. I took eight people to that show who'd never been to a drum corps show before and of the six who could decide which corps they liked best, it was two for Cadets, three for Crown, and one for Bluecoats.

• Like 2

What I will say to the OP is this:

1. Thanks for the good questions and thanks for sharing your thoughts and concerns.

2. Your comments are a lot like what I would expect from someone who hadn't seen a corps show in 20 years. Not a bad thing, but definitely how I think I would feel, too, if I hadn't seen corps in that long. 3 to 4 years is not all that long and not that much has changed -- although it's that little bit of change that happens each year that adds up over 4 or 5 years.

3. I will completely agree with you that music has become unrecognizable, and in a nutshell this is where I think drum corps have gotten themselves into trouble. To me the question is not one of can they or can't they play all this highly artistic, concert-level literature (orchestral, band, avante guard jazz), but can they arrange it to meet the needs of a field show and present it to the audience in a manner that it will be accepted. I don't think we, the audience, need to know all the music, but it still has to be sold to us in some way. The choppiness, sporadic developmental techniques being used by many arrangers (let's just call this over-arranging) has made these unrecognizable works even more difficult to listen to, and that has caused many of the problems.

4. A number of your concerns are the result of the flat-out speed of the marching, music, guard work, and drill design. The audience is often left trying to catch-up to things. People from another country might watch some of our drum corps and think "why is it you can't stay on point, and why must you rush everything so quickly?" They might think our idea of programming is to make the kids look like they are hyperactive children on acid who have short memories and a desire to finish as fast as they can. Here in America I think most of us realize that what the designers were doing was to increase demand while trying to provide more content. Sadly everyone is trying to outdo the "Jones'" and the whole concept of demand has taken us into the "field show on steroids" model. Not always good when not managed well.

5. You mention style and ask why most corps lack a true identity? I do think their are some identities left, but even with those corps there is a lot of copying. Ultimately drum corps, with it's highly competitive nature, has become like the NFL or NBA: a copycat league. Some of this is good, and some not so much. All of the world class corps realized years ago that they couldn't compete well enough if they were true to some unique style or tradition. You go where the judges are awarding points, and unless the system starts to award points to better design, better and more realistic GE, as well as performance, then we will continue to see the same old thing year in and out.

• Like 3

Starting on the field? The 20-person pit? These have been de rigeur for over 25 years. Complaining about Bb brass would be more up-to-date.

I wanted so badly for any corps to do something that would pull me out of my seat and make me stand up and cheer like I have so many times before -- whether it be an outstanding horn solo, an unbelievable drum break or a horn line playing a number so powerful that they almost blow the stands down

I'm a little confused. There are tons of these moments in the seven performances you saw... I can understand being turned off by a lot of the changes and the style of shows these days, but these smaller moments are still there. If you saw Cadets and weren't impressed by their battery and you watched Crown and weren't blown away by their brass, then ... perhaps there's nothing they could do to impress you.

Edited by skywhopper
  • Like 6

To the OP

You start off by saying you're not stuck in the past

And then the rest of your post contradicts that

Not sure what to say other than embrace change, it is the only thing that's constant!

Being stuck in the past and disliking the current changes are two different things. I'm in my 20s and have the same opinions as the OP. Just throwing that out there.

• Like 5

I don't think you could be more wrong about the drum lines. If you close your eyes and had no idea of who was playing the style and approach to playing is unbelievably distinct. SCV, Cadets, BD are top 3 right now and each sound very different and very stylistic of their corps style. And they are playing more rudiment and hybrid rudiment combinations than you can imagine.

• Like 1

Wow...I don't think you have seen a show for over a decade with your comments. Drum corps started getting this way in the early 2000's.

You also much be losing your hearing because those corps are pushing a lot of sound out. Is it the same as the G Bugle lines you could feel through your chest? No, but it's the best we got.

Check again, but there are some fantastic soloists in the corps. They may not be screaming out high notes but it is what it is.

Being stuck in the past and disliking the current changes are two different things. I'm in my 20s and have the same opinions as the OP. Just throwing that out there.

ehh it is one thing nott to like musical direction etc / but the OP doesbt like any element of the modern corps design / at least that's how it came off to me. which is FINE as long as we are being honest and just say "I used to like it better the old way"