Historic Possibilities

I was lucky enough to be there for all three days in KC. Hot and humid. It was also the last time the didn't give out scores or recaps (only in Quarter finals/Semi finals), it also may have been one of the top 2 or 3 shows I've ever seen. Madison was right on in everything they did - the perfect storm, in semis. Vanguard just about knocked Madison out the next night with a great performance of Phantom. Wasn't that the year that BDs soloist choked every Soprano solo so badly in finals that DCI put the Semi-Finals show on the CD and DVD or was it 1989? I remember really feeling for the kid, it just wasn't one solo, I think it was 3 of them, lips just gave out. Being a mellophone/French horn player, I'd had it happen before.

If it's 89 you're talking about, the guy was clearly a big talent and they gave him a massive challenge. He was fine up until the first screamer note and it squeezed off, then the solo was shaky after that. That's the only solo he flubbed though (on the FN version anyway). He followed this almost immediately with a crazy hard solo in a completely different (classical) style, and pretty much held it together with just a hint of residual jitters. All the soloists were monsters that year (and most years, come to think of it). I hope that guy is a pro somewhere today.

If it's 89 you're talking about, the guy was clearly a big talent and they gave him a massive challenge. He was fine up until the first screamer note and it squeezed off, then the solo was shaky after that. That's the only solo he flubbed though (on the FN version anyway). He followed this almost immediately with a crazy hard solo in a completely different (classical) style, and pretty much held it together with just a hint of residual jitters. All the soloists were monsters that year (and most years, come to think of it). I hope that guy is a pro somewhere today.

I heard he got stung by a bee the day of finals...just a story. He's not a pro these days. He got indicted and doing time in jail for embezzlement. A Lawyer

• Like 1

I heard he got stung by a bee the day of finals...just a story. He's not a pro these days. He got indicted and doing time in jail for embezzlement. A Lawyer

Oh my...

Fascinating, if true.

Congratulations to Boston for not making history (losing their 6th place continuous finals placement) and for possibly making history (1st time in 12th place).

Another piece of history: BD's historic and incredible 8(?) year dominance in color guard ended tonight.

Congrats Carolina Crown!! Was rooting for their guard tonight to take it!

• Like 1

Another piece of history: BD's historic and incredible 8(?) year dominance in color guard ended tonight.

Yup. If you don't win GE Visual and Guard, you're not about to win any DCI Championship.

I also believe it is the first time in Bluecoats history that they won a caption on finals night.

I wonder how many corps took three captions and finished third, though. That has to be a first.