Cadets 2017

16 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

Man... how does any corps survive with only 70 horns??? LOL

lol!...  beats me..( haha!).. as you well know, Fran...this used to be pretty darn close to the entire size of some Class A competing Corps, BITD before DCI. ( haha!)

Edited by BRASSO

7 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

14 speakers!

Omg... that's too funny, George ( lol!)

Personally, the biggest takeaway from the Hop talk is the show is finished. Of course minor things will be added and removed over the next several months until August, but the fact that the core of the show is finished (in February) is fantastic news. 2016 felt like drum corps improvisation, and I am glad that we will not be seeing that again. With the incredible level of talent each corps possesses nowadays, championships are won in the offseason. GE is most important now.

21 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Personally, the biggest takeaway from the Hop talk is the show is finished. Of course minor things will be added and removed over the next several months until August, but the fact that the core of the show is finished (in February) is fantastic news. 2016 felt like drum corps improvisation, and I am glad that we will not be seeing that again. With the incredible level of talent each corps possesses nowadays, championships are won in the offseason. GE is most important now.

he said "the brass can sorta play through it" leaving big spaces for percussion.  not quite what i would call "finished". in fact i think they were in the same place last year (musically).  and this year the percussion will be further behind.  i like your optimism though :biggrin: 

5 minutes ago, corpsband said:

he said "the brass can sorta play through it" leaving big spaces for percussion.  not quite what i would call "finished". in fact i think they were in the same place last year (musically).  and this year the percussion will be further behind.  i like your optimism though :biggrin: 

I'm not talking about the MM's ability to play or march it. I'm talking about the design team. There is clearly a firm grasp on what this show will be. That wasn't the case in 2016 as Hop and MM's struggled to explain/describe the concept even after ST. 

So the rights to the music have been pretty difficult to get, with the holders not wanting mashups.  The NY Phil has been assisting in the process.  There will be a vocal ensemble throughout the show.

I know Bernstein's Mass was (sort of) shot down earlier in this thread, but it seems to point in that direction.

Any other ideas, based on the above (and any other details that I left out)?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

I'm not talking about the MM's ability to play or march it. I'm talking about the design team. There is clearly a firm grasp on what this show will be. That wasn't the case in 2016 as Hop and MM's struggled to explain/describe the concept even after ST. 

They definitely seem to be ahead of last year from a design/programmatic standpoint.  Hop is generally upfront about where they are at every year, so no real reason to think he's spouting a line of BS.  

Biggest question is whether the design and program will translate competitively with the shake-up in staff.

10 minutes ago, Brass34 said:

Not sure how you got that from the video.  Maybe from other sources :ninja: ?

Last year was "Statues Come To Life".  We got that very early on.  All the rest of it was...yeah...whatever that was.

Anyway it's very possible that members will have an equally difficult time describing what the show is really about this year.  It's not exactly simple to explain.

Edited by corpsband