Carolina Crown 2017

Perception is everything as Tobias is just another example of that perception...and many others I've spoken to as well feel the same...It's hard to tell what's going to happen....but I also think Crown "may" be in a slight rebuilding year...that may only just mean not in contention for a title...but still strongly in the top 5 IMO...

lol..One corps rebuliding year is anothers HUGEEE success or failure. Funny how that works

In regards to the members, The Pride and Crown connection that once existed for Crown to pull in the top talent in the activity is no longer there (Via Townsend) Yes they may get an influx of Paramount members now, but realistically speaking that is a step down in Talent. This top Talent (IMO) is what made the Crown Guard so special because they could put the hardest, most effective work out there and pull it off. (Ensemble Rifle phrases/ Quads, 5's)

I know of at least one Guard performer from this past year at Crown that is auditioning at Pride this weekend. The connection will remain and in questioning that Member last week was undecided where they were going to march next year. I venture to say that if they make Pride and devote the next 7 months of their life to Pride and Townsend, that a good majority of Pride performers who are eligible will follow Townsend to BAC.

To most Guard Members the WGI group is the premier place, and in order to stay in good graces with that staff will stay with that staff through the summer to make sure that you don't lose the technique and rapport with the staff.

This WGI season will determine how the Talent pool shakes up next summer. If Paramount has an off year (Lower than top 5) will they be able to retain Vets who want to be part of a great Guard during the summer?

Time will tell.

remember though. These WGI world guards have no age limit BUT DCI does. Could make a big difference for those thinking many of these world guard members will do DCI. NOW HS kids they might have contact with is another story.

Idk. That was a monster guard staff and Keith really was there when Crown was becoming Crown. Not sure it's as easy as you say to replace. Still think Crown has a rebuilding year in 2017. Great brass, Jeff will write a great drill BUT Cadets had all that (OTT award brass, top percussion) a Jeff drill and still came in 4th in 2015. I Just think you're ambitious with the new guard and viz people but I get it. I did the same for the Cadets 2016.

Hey all. Just to also chime in here. We might be forgetting that it's the same visual team coming back that has won three of the last five John Brazale awards.

• Like 2

Hey all. Just to also chime in here. We might be forgetting that it's the same visual team coming back that has won three of the last five John Brazale awards.

Is it...

Perception is everything as Tobias is just another example of that perception...and many others I've spoken to as well feel the same...It's hard to tell what's going to happen....but I also think Crown "may" be in a slight rebuilding year...that may only just mean not in contention for a title...but still strongly in the top 5 IMO...

Perception yes AND when the Cadets 2015 guard staff was replaced, many Cadets guard vets left and followed guard staff to BK, SCV and other corps. Members do follow staff and that was a 5th place guard. I guarantee many more CrownGuard will follow MT to BAC or not march.

Perception yes AND when the Cadets 2015 guard staff was replaced, many Cadets guard vets left and followed guard staff to BK, SCV and other corps. Members do follow staff and that was a 5th place guard. I guarantee many more CrownGuard will follow MT to BAC or not march.

Cadets did loose many guard members after 2015. At least three were on Crown guard last year.

I also think many more will want to follow MT to BAC. But they'll have to compete for their spots with probably very enthusiastic, and I'm sure talented, BAC vets.

Rick and Joey are going to attract top talent, whether it be returning Crown vets or from other corps like Cadets, Madison, or SCV.

Crown will be vying for the Zingali yet again in 2017.

well here's the deal. some folks are predicting gloom (cadets and bac fans mostly) and some folks are predicting they'll weather this just fine. until november (and april really) no one really knows. comparing to cadets -- not so much. no stability in that caption for a number of years now.

MY point is that Crown has done a great job with continuity in the guard caption . Everyone brought on so far marched or taught Crown. Will that matter? I think so. As I said earlier, a lot of kids show up to Crown without knowing names or faces of staff. They come because they like what they see on the field.

Will some kids leave? Sure. Will some kids stay. Sure. Did some kids age-out? Yep. Will new kids come? Sure.

So -- I'll keep on honking and you guys can keep trying to spin doom and gloom.

• Like 1