Carolina Crown 2017

ANYWAY...

SO little discussion about Crown's new team!

First. Joey Powell. A Crown alum who aged out in '09. So he "gets" the Crownguard legacy of excellence. He's gone on to teach in several corps and has recently taken his HS program to WGI SW Finals in 2016. One of the most talked about shows in Dayton this year. Really creative. Really challenging.

Here's the vid:

• Like 2

I mean, actually, it did end with a crown ... three crowns to be exact. A Triple Crown ... ;) lol

Larger Crown formed by the Guard

Inside that, a smaller Crown

Inside that, an even smaller Crown.

It's Crownception! :-p

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-07%20at%2010.23.

Crown Cubed!

• Like 1

ANYWAY...

SO little discussion about Crown's new team!

First. Joey Powell. A Crown alum who aged out in '09. So he "gets" the Crownguard legacy of excellence. He's gone on to teach in several corps and has recently taken his HS program to WGI SW Finals in 2016. One of the most talked about shows in Dayton this year. Really creative. Really challenging.

Here's the vid:

ayyy welcome back.

I understand that show is so cool with the no music thing but can you explain to a non guard person why?

ayyy welcome back.

I understand that show is so cool with the no music thing but can you explain to a non guard person why?

it really is the infamous John Cage piece :-) Set aside the technical demands of performing a program without no tempo support, the program design was centered on the artwork that inspired 4'33". In essence the 3 white panels become mirrors which reflect what the viewer (audience in this case) bring to the show. Also consider the creativity necessary to fashion all the work and choreography without the music to support and inspire the writing. Very cool. Very innovative. Excited to see what Joey brings (back) to Crown!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Next up:

Rick Subel who ALSO led his program Paramount to a 5th place finish in World Class Dayton this year. So much creativity coming to the Crown design team!

Some of Rick's very creative programs were in other than World Class shows several years back particularly when he worked guards in Greater Nashville and Evansville. I know he had a hand in one show around a koi pond and another that used "drumspeak"/streetslang rather than music. The shows were extremely creative but the guard personnel were young and still learning. He's very talented and I'm glad he's found his niche.

Edited by xandandl

Some of Rick's very creative programs were in other than World Class shows several years back particularly when he worked guards in Greater Nashville and Evansville. I know he had a hand in one show around a koi pond and another that used "drumspeak"/streetslang rather than music. The shows were extremely creative but the guard personnel were young and still learning. He's very talented and I'm glad he's found his niche.

Paramount has only existed since 2011 -- their progress has been remarkable.

Whom did he work with in Nashville?