Carolina Crown 2017

well here's the deal. some folks are predicting gloom (cadets and bac fans mostly) and some folks are predicting they'll weather this just fine. until november (and april really) no one really knows. comparing to cadets -- not so much. no stability in that caption for a number of years now.

MY point is that Crown has done a great job with continuity in the guard caption . Everyone brought on so far marched or taught Crown. Will that matter? I think so. As I said earlier, a lot of kids show up to Crown without knowing names or faces of staff. They come because they like what they see on the field.

Will some kids leave? Sure. Will some kids stay. Sure. Did some kids age-out? Yep. Will new kids come? Sure.

So -- I'll keep on honking and you guys can keep trying to spin doom and gloom.

Well it's DCP. I wouldn't predict gloom. They have their amazing arranger (so they'll sound like Crown๐Ÿ‘), they' have MH and team so they'll play magnificently like Crown ๐Ÿ‘) and they'll have Jeff writing a great drill so they'll look like Crown/Cadets ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Those are huge strengths but percussion may take a "slight" slide or not and guard will be fine but it's not going to be at the peak that it has been. All these things combined probably means Crown stays in the top 3 but last season was the one to capture another Gold medal. Every caption was at its strongest.

Well it's DCP. I wouldn't predict gloom. They have their amazing arranger (so they'll sound like Crown), they' have MH and team so they'll play magnificently like Crown ) and they'll have Jeff writing a great drill so they'll look like Crown/Cadets . Those are huge strengths but percussion may take a "slight" slide or not and guard will be fine but it's not going to be at the peak that it has been. All these things combined probably means Crown stays in the top 3 but last season was the one to capture another Gold medal. Every caption was at its strongest.

OK. I'll rephrase. Some people will say they'll be weaker, Some people will say they'll be just as strong!

Edited by corpsband

OK. I'll rephrase. Some people will say they'll be weaker, Some people will say they'll be just as strong!

The thing that is now inarguable is the paramount importance of show concept and overall story arc. That's one area where CC has always known what they are about and it is their single greatest strength, even beyond brass and guard. If you have a clear target to shoot at, and everyone intrinsically knows how CC does that, then the entire team can rally quickly and efficiently. That's why I suspect CC will be impacted the least by staff changes.

I sometimes criticize the relative predictability of Blue Devils' show concepts, but I also get the benefit of doing it that wayโ€”beyond "that's our thing." You don't have unlimited time and resources to field a medalist show in DCI. BD pretty much is already halfway to the finish line on the first day of camp, before a single MM takes the field. They are in polishing mode by the second month of the season.

The biggest concern to me is losing MM leaders who follow an educator to another world class contender. That's tough to replace at the medalist level without time, which is precious.

• Like 1

Well it's DCP. I wouldn't predict gloom. They have their amazing arranger (so they'll sound like Crown๐Ÿ‘), they' have MH and team so they'll play magnificently like Crown ๐Ÿ‘) and they'll have Jeff writing a great drill so they'll look like Crown/Cadets ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘. Those are huge strengths but percussion may take a "slight" slide or not and guard will be fine but it's not going to be at the peak that it has been. All these things combined probably means Crown stays in the top 3 but last season was the one to capture another Gold medal. Every caption was at its strongest.

I go back to what I said before. Crown is better off without the visual guys (Keith and Leon) except for guard. They will lose kids in guard. But they'll probably get other kids from Texas, Atlanta and SCV that they've never had before. And they have the best drill designer in DCI now. And I doubt he's gonna write anything that looks remotely like Cadets. Why would he want to. He wants the program to be Crown. And an amazing feet and cleaning team. And the best music arranger and brass team out there. And the same drum staff I think except for Aungst...he's definitely a loss but he wasn't really writing any music. Hannum is still there for that so I don't see how the drum line takes anything but a step forward.

And the same drum staff I think except for Aungst...he's definitely a loss but he wasn't really writing any music. Hannum is still there for that so I don't see how the drum line takes anything but a step forward.

IF they turn the young gun loose on the score. Hannum's sophistication is frequently lost on current DCI judges. They will never credit space -- only ink. In this caption you must feed the judges what they want to hear. Ram those Cheese Paradiddle-Flafla's, baby!

Edited by corpsband

IF they turn the young gun loose on the score. Hannum's sophistication is frequently lost on current DCI judges. They will never credit space -- only ink. In this caption you must feed the judges what they want to hear. Ram those Cheese Paradiddle-Flafla's, baby!

Yea but it's also about rep. And the show has to breath enough to let the drum line shine through. Crown wants to win horns first and then guard and then maybe if they can they'll squeeze a few measures in for the drumline. Same for the pit. Gotta spread the love musically.

Yea but it's also about rep. And the show has to breath enough to let the drum line shine through. Crown wants to win horns first and then guard and then maybe if they can they'll squeeze a few measures in for the drumline. Same for the pit. Gotta spread the love musically.

XdkbEUw.png

Edited by corpsband

So -- I'll keep on honking and you guys can keep trying to spin doom and gloom.

a bit dramatic... :tounge2:

4_U6u_KIl.png

• Like 1