Star of Indiana Questions

The deep, rich, textural, sound of the G's in the brass line, particularly in the soprano voices, for starters.

So no, there is no future DCI Corps that will ever have a brass sound quite like the Star of Indiana once did.

This sound definitely caught me off guard in a very pleasant way. How'd they even do that?

Crowns great, lots of ties to Star. They arent even near Star though, their shows arent anything like Stars, barring a few minor throwbacks.

Star had its fans, Star generated excitement, but from what I can recall, the excitement Crown generates today is greater than what Star generated during its tenure. It is easier to do this today with Facebook and Twitter and Crown uses social media quite effectively which does help raise the excitement level. Crown also had a more traditional rise in the ranks which gained them a respect that Star did not have, at least not in the same way. Star was always viewed as the corps money created, rightly or wrongly. Star had four great shows, two of which are on many of the short lists for all time great shows, but their 1985-89 shows while good, and one, 1987 is a favorite of mine, were not light years ahead of their competitors.

Not near Star? star placed in the top 3 four times, Crown has placed in the top 3 in 2009' 2012, 2013, 2015, and 2016. Star won a title, so too has Crown. Star had crowd pleaders, so too has Crown. Star has been innovative as has Crown. I suppose its preference, but for me Crown has the advantage. I'm not dismissing Star, but Crown has its own unique style and sound, and I feel is at least comparable to Star, if not better.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

In my mind, "Carolina Crown" is very much the spiritual successor to "Star of Indiana".

Maybe I'm just obtuse, but I have no idea what the hell this means. Care to elaborate ?

Edited by BRASSO

I believe there is very little in similarities with ANY of todays Corps with that of Star of Indiana of a few decades ago.

That said, if one insists on naming a Corps of today that has the most in common with the Star of Indiana, it would not be Carolina Crown at all, but instead, it would be the Blue Devils, imo.

Both Star and the Blue Devils made DCI TOP 12 rather quickly after they started DCI competition. Star made DCI TOP 12, their 1st season. BD in 2 seasons of DCI competition. By contrast, Crown did it the old fashioned way that most Corps make DCI finals, ie, a long, sustained, grinding effort to do so. Star made 8th place in 2 seasons. Crown took 15 seasons before they finished higher than 10th in DCI. This was longer than the entire 8 seasons of Stars short DCI existence. Once making Finals for the 1st time, neither BD or Star fell out of Finals. Crown did. But fought their way back in again. Both BD, Star had FAR more financial resources available to themselves than most Corps did around them in DCI competition. While Crown had solid finances, their financial resources did not dwarf those of its competitors at any time, as it did for Star, and does now for BD. Crown has never put out shows that were non fan friendly to most ticket purchasers either. Both BD and Star have however. Crown has never been booed by audiences. BD and Star have been booed by audiences though. Both BD and Star have won Drums at Finals ( Star won field percussion its final 2 years of competition in DCI as a matter of fact). When has Crown been known to have the top DCI percussion line in any year ?( I know, I know, its a silly question). Both BD and Star Corps have had esoteric styled shows that were received better by later generations of fans than they did when these shows were on the field at the time. Both BD and Star took their shows to indoor paid attendance auditoriums. Crown has not, but if so, far more infrequently than what the staff at BD and Star did over the years. Star changed uniforms a lot, but they were always traditional uniforms. Crown's uniforms of late are not anything like what Star of Indiana ever wore. Crown's uniforms are anything but " traditional " in style. BD and Star both have has very large legions of the Jealous during their competitive eras. BD has far more " haters " than does Crown, and the " hate " is more similar in its nature between BD and Star than between Star and Crown, imo. Both BD and Crown have been in DCI competition for decades too... and still here. Star was a shooting star that burst onto the scene brightly, then quickly flamed out. Within just 8 seasons. I could go on, and list a dozen more similarities between BD and Star that are far more compelling than the ones we can compare between Crown and Star. But its late, and I'm tired from making a xmas list of who's been naughty and nice, and now going to bed.. Suffice to say in summary, that Crown's success stands on its own. So too does the Star of Indiana. These 2 Corps of Star and Crown had very little in common, imo. They were both unique to themselves, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I miss Star...

First time I saw them live was 1988 at Allentown Prelims - there sound was huge, and different from any of the other corps. They unfortunately did not appear again at DCI East until 1992, so I didn't get to experience live that huge sound they had again in 1989, 90, and 91. I loved the 92 show as well, and was also there in 93 at Ypsilanti prelims and got to see and hear some of the booing they received...that show has grown on me over the years, and I feel bad that people weren't more appreciative of it at the time.

I know Michael Boo knows a lot more about Bill Cook than I ever could and could add a lot more about him, but after all I have read about him and Star over the years, I don't think DCI would be what it is today without his influence. Not just thru Star, but also thru all he did financially for DCI in general.

• Like 1

They do have certain things in common ... such as only managing to win DCI once.

kelso-burn.jpg

They do have certain things in common ... such as only managing to win DCI once.

To be fair, Star did come within a tenth in 1993. I also think we will see another Crown victory at some future point, especially where I see no indication of Crown leaving the competitive field at any point in the near future.

To be fair, Star did come within a tenth in 1993. I also think we will see another Crown victory at some future point, especially where I see no indication of Crown leaving the competitive field at any point in the near future.

Also to be fair ... finalists in year 1 of their existence. Champions 6 years later.

Also to be fair ... finalists in year 1 of their existence. Champions 6 years later.

Of course like Star and Crown, Anaheim Kingsmen and Bluecoats have also won just one title, but for Star, Crown, Kingsmen, and Bluecoats, it's one more title than most corps have won.