Star of Indiana Questions

Could Star ever make a comeback to the field? Would they? Hypothetically would they be at powerhouse status again? Only asking since I'm watching the 91 show for the first time and it's on my Chromecast and I'm blown away.

I would LOVE for that to happen, but I would be shocked if it did. Im not sure they would be good either, after a few years maybe. I would imagine their first year they would get tons of talent, but I think with a first year staff they wouldnt compete too well. Said talent would leave, Star would fade into oblivion once again, this time with a far more tarnished rep.

Out of curiosity, why would Star coming back be exciting? It would be one thing if they never left, but if a corps were to step onto the field now and be called Star of Indiana, it would be in name alone (right?). Every member in the 91 show has since (way) aged out, every new member would literally have never been alive when Star was on the field, the design/teaching staff has all moved on so it would be a new crop there. Ya, there'd probably be some exceptional talent purely from the Star name, but other than that I don't see how this resurrection would be any more exciting than a brand new (super talented) corps.

Reminds me of VK's return, which to me seemed to putter out because I was in the stands hoping/expecting the 92 corps rather than a brand new Open Class corps.

• Like 1

They certainly could, but won't be.

Who owns the rights to the name? I don’t know if they could obtain them. The mini-corps uses Star United which, I believe is because they couldn’t get the naming rights.

Drum corps is very contextual with in its own time so Star will never be as their time has passed

No.

Mike

Seconded. Unless you got the whole staff backtogether and resurrected Cook (who has probably founded heavens best drum corps God bless him) it would just be a phony with the same name.

They've made their mark on the activity and have a helluva legacy. Their time has come and passed. Their previous members and staff members are off making their impact with many of today's top corps.

Let them rest where they belong.

Seconded. Unless you got the whole staff backtogether and resurrected Cook (who has probably founded heavens best drum corps God bless him) it would just be a phony with the same name.

They've made their mark on the activity and have a helluva legacy. Their time has come and passed. Their previous members and staff members are off making their impact with many of today's top corps.

Let them rest where they belong.

Beat me to it.

This question gets asked a lot, hence many of the curt responses.

I don't know where the James Mason, the Cook Group or the alumni association are at these days ... someone more qualified can go into that if they want. There's no big push by the alums to start something up* (besides Star United). The Cook Group is doing the medical device thing and making some spare change.

The alums/former instructors have left an impact on just about every corps ... especially Crown. Several groups (Scouts, Blue Stars, etc) utilize resource-rich Indiana for facilities and members.

*It's one thing when previously defunct groups like Southwind return due to alumni initiative and cooperation with previous admins ... they are re-establishing ties to a specific geographic area and running the corps very sensibly. Star was always a different corps that was set up to be among the top groups from the get-go. That goal is much loftier today, and doesn't seem like it's worth the effort/$$$.

TL;DR - bright stars sometimes burn out. There are plenty of new corps to look forward to.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar

Who owns the rights to the name? I don’t know if they could obtain them. The mini-corps uses Star United which, I believe is because they couldn’t get the naming rights.

Drum corps is very contextual with in its own time so Star will never be as their time has passed

If memory serves me correct, James Mason has control of the name.