2017 Uniform Thread

oh dam.. theres another rumor thats gone to hellinahandbasket. This is not good for rumors. It gives them tumors. Lets get our rumors in better working order.  Bad rumors give me rumortoid arthritis and thats not good.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

That was likely the worst uniform ever worn in DCI.

Well...... there was the Odyssey Drum & Bugle Corps from Middlesex County, MA.

They wore what appeared to be aluminum foil-like coats that apparently acted like real aluminum foil and heated up to an unbearable temperature. (Kind of like foil-wrapped baked potatoes.)

Odyssey was only on the field in 1978, probably because all the members baked to death.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

Well...... there was the Odyssey Drum & Bugle Corps .

They wore what appeared to be aluminum foil-like coats that apparently acted like real aluminum foil and heated up to an unbearable temperature.

I'm always leery of people in tin foil coats... but its those wearing their tin foil hats that I try to avoid at all costs.

Edited by BRASSO

38 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

Well...... there was the Odyssey Drum & Bugle Corps from Middlesex County, MA.

They wore what appeared to be aluminum foil-like coats that apparently acted like real aluminum foil and heated up to an unbearable temperature. (Kind of like foil-wrapped baked potatoes.)

Odyssey was only on the field in 1978, probably because all the members baked to death.

Presenting their 1978 program "Heatstroke Sonata"...

• Like 1

What will last year's top 12 look like this year? Just wanted to imagine how this year's upper echelon will look. This is pure speculation sprinkled with what I've personally seen....

Coats- Full Costume again, no headgear

Blue Devils- Retain the more traditional uniform?

Crown- Mix of costume/ structured uniform jacket continued from the last few years and headgear

SCV- no idea, I think transitioning more to costume-esque from the rumor mill?

Cavies- Traditional uni layered with a unique undershirt again

Cadets- radical departure form West Point uni. Skirts, headgear, who knows!?!

BK- The lighter unis are a few years old now, right? Could see them moving over to complete wgi-style costume a la coats last year.

Phantom- mix of uni/costume. Their social media was teasing whether or not there will be helmets.

Stars- New unis last year, keep those with new fabric/patterned designs.

Xmen- No idea, could see going either way.

Academy- Already revealed.

Crusaders- Would prefer to see them keep an iconic crusader's uniform. New staff would maybe want to push the envelope? I completed their questionnaire this past off season and was really intrigued. Definitely a corps I am excited to see revealed.

Lower corps: SOA uni leaked, full costume. Scouts- radical departure? Colts uni's remind me very much of Round Rock in TX, a step up from previous years.

A few things I'm really interested in watching unfold:

Top 12 vs lower corps, ratio of complete costume to traditional uni.

How many corps will have the MM's do a uniform change during the show?

How far the change in modern uniform design will trickle down to BOA and other HS band programs?

If I were to walk through the lot of an early show without stalking this thread and forum, who would I easily be able to identify and who would give me a double take?

Thoughts: I marched 6 years ago and loved putting on the full uniform and shako. That year, Crown and Scouts debuted short sleeves and I was shocked because not much else was out there in uniform design. Personally, I am not a huge fan of this wgi-based trend for DCI. I like to be able to identify corps based upon their history and not necessarily what they are putting on the field that season. Following the activity since 2006, this is the first "progressive" DCI trend I have not been really enthused about. I understand the financial, movement, and GE reasons behind it but I have always appreciated a division between the winter and summer programs. The activity overall is about kids having the opportunity to do something amazing and putting on an entertaining 11 minute production. Therefore, I will not bash a corps based on what they wear this season (even if it is a skirt on the corps proper!). Man, this post made me feel like an old timer complaining about switching from bugles, adding electronics, and voice! Just another perspective from someone that aged-out not that long ago.

• Like 1