2017 Uniform Thread

12 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Nobody is making you watch it. You can leave any time you want.

The thing is, Bb horns are a one-time investment with sponsorship opportunities... not nearly a long term financial burden that needs to be changed every year, more akin to getting a new set of drums every few years. Additionally, the general consensus was that the Bb horns sounder "cleaner," and that a switch to those would help performance and effect. I wasn't following DCI at that time to tell you if that was true or not, just the consensus I've gotten from those who WERE there.

What I'm proposing is that whatever design elements are used would be judged within that chosen range of vocabulary, rather than against the entire book of design elements. This will happen because we are reaching a tipping point, where we will soon have too many elements to fit all of them into one 11 minute show. Corps will have to pick and choose what they want to use in their show design, and the judges would base their scores on the usage and execution of those specific elements. If that adaptation doesn't happen, the current judging system will collapse in on itself within a few years.

That explains your thoughts on all of this - you're missing so much to understand why some don't like what is happening 

Edited by dcibrando

Just now, BigBadMadMan said:

When the corps start feeling pressured to change up their uniform yearly to better sell their show theme, it will happen. It already is. Do you think that the costuming of the color guard isn't reflected in their GE scores? Why would it be any different to have the whole corps costumed?

If they absolutely feel they have to, then whatever fits their budget range to change the uniform every year, they'll do. Not everybody has to pull a full Madison every year, and I would imagine that changing a small part of the uniform like the Crossmen or Blue Stars did this year costs far less than 150 new costumes for all your members. Guard uniforms are almost certainly included every year in every corps budget already. 

Like I said, the best thing for the activity now and in the future is to not have one set standard for all corps, but to hold each corps to the standards they set for themselves each year in terms of difficulty and design.

5 minutes ago, dcibrando said:

That explains your thoughts on all of this - you're missing so much to understand why some don't like what is happening 

EDIT: I was 8 years old. I was more focused on Power Rangers and Pokemon at the time.

If people have been holding this grudge for 17 years, I'm am honestly shocked they haven't all keeled over from aneurysms at this point. At some point they need to let go, the clock is never getting turned back.

Edited by MotoSurfBass

8 minutes ago, rmurrey74 said:

Bb horns can be sold at a profit every year and are a financial positive.  They're purchased at a discount and then sold off to bands or individuals almost each year.  With seeing the financial details at two successful corps, it's a significant profit center.

I would dare to say that the switch from G to Bb has helped keep some corps afloat. 

I'm sure it has, but that wasn't the point of my comment. It was about the pressure to adopt the change. And that was likely before people really knew the benefit of the buying and selling, as you described.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

6 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

If they absolutely feel they have to, then whatever fits their budget range to change the uniform every year, they'll do. Not everybody has to pull a full Madison every year, and I would imagine that changing a small part of the uniform like the Crossmen or Blue Stars did this year costs far less than 150 new costumes for all your members. Guard uniforms are almost certainly included every year in every corps budget already. 

Like I said, the best thing for the activity now and in the future is to not have one set standard for all corps, but to hold each corps to the standards they set for themselves each year in terms of difficulty and design.

Off the top of your head, how many corps are wearing the same uniform they wore last season? That better illustrates my point.

50 minutes ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

I know there's a lot of talk about Madison's uniform right now, but in case you're interested in Open Class stuff, here's the Guardians' uniforms for 2017.

These are the greatest uniforms I've ever seen. And I'm not saying that because my kiddo is going to wear one and I'm watching their ensemble rehearsal right now...

Mike

(...yes I am...)

• Like 1

Just now, BigBadMadMan said:

Off the top of your head, how many corps are wearing the same uniform they wore last season? That better illustrates my point.

Nobody off the top of my head is wearing the exact same uniform. Adapting current uniforms or buying new uniforms are clearly already a part of every World Class corps' budget this year. I'd say a good 80%, if not more of corps had adaptations or new uniforms last year. The money is already there and budgeted in. It's already a thing that's happening, so I'd say there's little to no use worrying about it now from a budget standpoint.

If you worry about it from a programming or identity standpoint, the only three corps that seem to have thrown a prior visual identity out of the window the last two years are the Bluecoats, Boston, and now Madison. The Bluecoats have already established a new visual identity, and I've heard Boston's new unis will be a standard for the next few years. And as I said before, I trust that Chris and Dann won't throw 80 years of Madison history completely out the window. 

1 minute ago, MikeN said:

These are the greatest uniforms I've ever seen. And I'm not saying that because my kiddo is going to wear one and I'm watching their ensemble rehearsal right now...

Mike

(...yes I am...)

Congrats, and cheers! :guinesssmilie:

• Like 1

Just now, MikeN said:

Mike

(...yes I am...)

I will say that the baseball caps are a nice touch. Very reminiscent of Velvet Knights and Jersey Surf. Oh, and congratulations to your son!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ashevillemurphy said:

Is the whole corps going to shave their heads too...

They buzzed their heads, yes.