2017 Uniform Thread

On 6/25/2017 at 7:31 PM, wilme861 said:

On another note, I'm so jealous of how light, breathable and how much freedom uniforms today allow. I can just imagine how much more comfortable doing shows are now compared to even 5 years ago.

This.  It was a big eyebrow raising moment to see the coats uniforms for the first time last year.  At first I found them to be extremely distasteful.  

Then I remembered everyone sweating buckets in our hats marching in summer parades...and there has to be a difference in optimal performance level when wearing a lighter more breathable uniform.  It's a smart decision.  

Although tradition is important we have to remember that DCI has a season with members performing in the dog days of summer.  Why make them wear uniforms designed for outdoor performances in the fall and early winter?

I find the SCV uniform this year to be smart, innovative, and classy.  

Edited by ThePlanets
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

This.  It was a big eyebrow raising moment to see the coats uniforms for the first time last year.  At first I found them to be extremely distasteful.  

Then I remembered everyone sweating buckets in our hats marching in summer parades...and there has to be a difference in optimal performance level when wearing a lighter more breathable uniform.  It's a smart decision.  

Although tradition is important we have to remember that DCI has a season with members performing in the dog days of summer.  Why make them wear uniforms designed for outdoor performances in the fall and early winter?

See, I love the new materials being used, and I'm very jealous. I wish they had something similar when I marched. I remember just being really excited to have an under armor shirt underneath my jacket because of how cool it kept me. 

That being said, I think the corps could have used these new materials and found ways to keep their identity intact. If we can print anything we want on these fabrics, it shouldn't be too difficult to include traditional elements while keeping the look fresh. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

Not to mention that climate change isn't making the summers any cooler.

I'm good with the new costumes as long as they have elements that harken back to the tradition of the corps. 

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 4

On 6/26/2017 at 6:44 PM, DawsonBurnes said:

Put on SW's uniforms for the first time at this past camp! We move in July 5th. I'm on the far left!

https://i.imgur.com/YfagfHH.jpg

(the tags on the chest were to keep track of everybody's uniform and the pant legs were rolled up for hemming)

Have  a  great summer season. 

• Like 1

The corps in Evansville all had reasonably traditional-looking stuff for drum majors. Except Scouts. The drum-major-corps-ready-salute thing worked well enough, even for the Scouts with that crazy head dress.

But do these traditional salutes make any sense for some of the corps and their costumes? I thought it looked a little weird last year seeing the Bluecoats. The serious dude or dudette salute looks kind of corny in ergonomic jumpsuits.

This does not imply I don't like the new looks. I do. Bluecoats were great last year, and I don't mind even more minimalism this year. Love the Scouts unis and look. Just focusing here on the salute, which seems increasingly a waning element from bygone days in DCI.

What do you think? Time to let this go?

36 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

The corps in Evansville all had reasonably traditional-looking stuff for drum majors. Except Scouts. The drum-major-corps-ready-salute thing worked well enough, even for the Scouts with that crazy head dress.

But do these traditional salutes make any sense for some of the corps and their costumes? I thought it looked a little weird last year seeing the Bluecoats. The serious dude or dudette salute looks kind of corny in ergonomic jumpsuits.

This does not imply I don't like the new looks. I do. Bluecoats were great last year, and I don't mind even more minimalism this year. Love the Scouts unis and look. Just focusing here on the salute, which seems increasingly a waning element from bygone days in DCI.

What do you think? Time to let this go?

Maybe we can end the very simple and traditional salute and encourge more creativity in the salutes. Similar to what BK did last year or what Crown did in 2014. 

I remember my high school had a "signature" salute that was unlike anything I've ever seen

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Maybe we can end the very simple and traditional salute and encourge more creativity in the salutes. Similar to what BK did last year or what Crown did in 2014. 

I remember my high school had a "signature" salute that was unlike anything I've ever seen

So more like BOA? :wink:

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BlueStainGlass said:

So more like BOA? :wink:

I feel like DCI's borrowed plenty from BOA, what's a salute to add to the list lol

I'm all for more creativity in salutes.  Visually, it's an acknowledgement of "It's great to be here, Cleveland!" and a marker that the show is about to start.  Doesn't have to be a military salute, though.  Heck, even a bow would work.

Mike