2017 Uniform Thread

EVERY young adult wants to look hip, hot, cool, dope, and whatever other terms are used in this situation. Sorry, I'm 66 years old! This look DOES that in a big way. If the performers are happy . . . I'm happy!  Our "sport, art, whatever it is now, DEMANDS creativity. I also imagine these fabrics and printing process are much less expensive, too, making a one-year-and-done costuming decision possible. Besides, more flexible and easily thematic.

Anyone care to guess the approximate cost per uniform for something SIMILAR to Guardians shown above? I would not be surprised if the price per unit is small enough to be buried into each performer's fee package, with the performer simply keeping the costume to take along after the season. Then, a whole new reveal comes the following year.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 1

Hated them at first.. they are growing on me now...

I don't have a problem with Madison not being traditional. I think they should have followed the MCM approach to uniform design. IMO this doesn't scream terrifying look MCM did. This looks steampunk meets tribal. They posted live photos and wanted to see them outside a picture announcement which can be very edited. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fred Windish said:

Anyone care to guess the approximate cost per uniform for something SIMILAR to Gaurdians shown above? I would not be surprised if the price per unit is small enough to be buried into each performer's fee package, with the performer simply keeping the costume to take along after the season. Then, a whole new reveal comes the following year.

That's a good guess! For Guardians, in fact, that's exactly how they're doing it.

Mike

Ok.  I'll say it.  Blue Devils uniform(s) are amazing!

Santa Clara Vanguard have always managed to balance innovation and tradition to achieve a classy blend of modernism and respect for their roots.

Until now.

And they're the best of the worst this year.  Are FJM and Stanburys channelling Liberace's ghost for design advice???

I'm starting to not tell people I marched for fear they will go search the web and see some of the costumes this year.  It's an embarrassment. I'd rather pretend my 5 decades in and around the activity never happened. I've spent most of my life explaining how we are different from marching band but now I'd literally rather say I teach a marching band and not mention the words "drum corps" or DCI...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mead09 said:

As an aside: Are the members happy and proud to chosen costumes this year?

As a test : Did they go home or to their friends house, don their uniform and proudly appear in the doorway anticipating and receiving a barrage of supportive comments  and clear admiration. "This is obviously far superior to the uniform you showed us last year"

I don't think so but I could be wrong?

Funny you say this because I literally had this conversation about a month ago with one of my friends that marched with the Cadets and another friend of ours that is just a fan and never marched. Our friend asked us about the trend to moving away from the traditional uniforms and if it bothered us at all. Again, I'm a Crown alum and he's a Cadet alum. For me, I finally felt like I was a Crown member when I put on the uniform, which happened to be one in the "cream years" back in 05. I told our friend that if they had given me the uniform that Crown is using this year, I would have had the exact same reaction as I did back then: pride! It didn't matter to me that the uniform was cream and had purple accents and a shako or any of that "traditional" stuff that Crown had back then. It was the fact that this was the Crown uniform and I was finally wearing it. When I finished, my friend goes "I 100% agree!" He went on to say that the change to the all whites or the blacks wouldn't have mattered to him one bit. It was just the fact that putting on the uniform makes it all seem real finally and you are actually a member of the corps.

I still have yet to see a uniform change that I personally would have said no way am I wearing that. Sure there have been a couple where I would have preferred, if given the choice, to have stuck with the one from the previous year but with 150 members wearing a single uniform, you're bound to find someone who isn't a fan.

On another note, I'm so jealous of how light, breathable and how much freedom uniforms today allow. I can just imagine how much more comfortable doing shows are now compared to even 5 years ago.

• Like 1

SPATS!!!!

We wore spats in 87.. when they came off in 88 it was like... HALLELUJAH!!