Heard there was a rumor in dispute and you needed proof

36 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Wow, just wow.

I agree with your post, it doesn’t sit well with me either

And the contradicting information allegedly coming from the same person at Crown (scholarships for  age-outs only, oh wait, not true) really casts doubts on their entire story so I’m not willing to accept yet that it’s the details buried in the contract, fool me twice and all.

Right now my pitchfork is taking aim aside from the one locked on Garfield who is doing a misinformation-deflection-dance and his ‘official’ conservation from yesterday seems like he got played or spun pretty badly.

Yours Truly,

The Angry Mob

Wow.  It appears as though I'm one of only two posters here who has actually had contact with Crown.

Deflection?  Really, that's what it looks like to you?  

Well, that's OK.  I know who I talked to and what I was told "officially".

I also have a realistic view of my place in the universe.  Seems not all share that reality.

But that's OK!  How's the dog?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mingusmonk said:

This attitude certainly goes towards supporting the argument that this vitriol is fanned by BAC contingent that have an axe to grind. They seem to be more concerned about making this BAC v CC as opposed to "Is it OK for any corps to tie up member commitments via discounts, awards and scholarships? (especially if supported by contracts)?" Which is certainly worth discussing.

Some people here are more interested in simply torching Crown and painting them as the evil enemy. Not exactly constructive.

I would have to agree with you on this one!! Obviously from reading the Reddit comments this is nothing new, seeing other corps with similar policies. 

17 minutes ago, year1buick said:

That's not my point. A contract is a contract.

Yes..and this has nothing to do with transfer policies . One can't tell anyone where they can march IF they fulfill the " contract" Contracts are usually pretty much the same corps to corps BUT some do have stipulations in them. Often when some and I repeat SOME corps hop they leave owing or have not complied to the contract. Sometimes a staff member made a promise to a mms to move on , sometimes owing or not in compliance to the contract other  corps take these people. I personally know often how this has happened  and how some and again I say some have screwed corps and winter and fall programs.

One has to know every circumstance on every individual as well as the history of the corps or corps and their policies to fully get why something did or did not happen.   jmo

Edited by GUARDLING

7 minutes ago, mingusmonk said:

This attitude certainly goes towards supporting the argument that this vitriol is fanned by BAC contingent that have an axe to grind. They seem to be more concerned about making this BAC v CC as opposed to "Is it OK for any corps to tie up member commitments via discounts, awards and scholarships? (especially if supported by contracts)?" Which is certainly worth discussing.

Some people here are more interested in simply torching Crown and painting them as the evil enemy. Not exactly constructive.

Exactly, and thank you.

BAC is a 77 year old drum corps.  My personal point of view comes from the fact that for much of that history (especially during the DCI era), the corps had to withstand the constant movement of kids (and staff) from Boston to higher ranking corps.  There were no complaints. It was what it was.

Now however, after the past 15 or so years of the corps reinventing itself, achieving the long-elusive top 12 status, and working feverishly to reach an unprecedented level of financial stability....now suddenly that this "flow of talent" has reversed,  we find the shoe on the other foot.   

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, year1buick said:

That's not my point. A contract is a contract.

Not really, some contracts can be invalidated or have creative interpretation. Some are merely to bully as they’d never stand up in court but the costs to go to court might not be worth fighting it. 

If the amount is only a few grand, dose either sides want to play deep pockets to win?

A contact is only as good as the lawyers involved

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, craiga said:

BAC is a 77 year old drum corps.  My personal point of view comes from the fact that for much of that history (especially during the DCI era), the corps had to withstand the constant movement of kids (and staff) from Boston to higher ranking corps.  There were no complaints. It was what it was.

Now however, after the past 15 or so years of the corps reinventing itself, achieving the long-elusive top 12 status, and working feverishly to reach an unprecedented level of financial stability....now suddenly that this "flow of talent" has reversed,  we find the shoe on the other foot.   

Did this happen with Boston, these same circumstances?  Do you know that they forgave the contracts for kids in similar circumstances?

Sorry, but this comes across as biased.  It doesn't have anything to do with corps age or past experience, it has to do with how the business of the drum corps is handled.  If BAC forgave contracts and feels this rule should be changed, I GUARANTEE you that they have a seat at the table to bring a motion to change it in DCI.

I just think we should all hold our biases, if any, in check when casting aspersions towards other corps.

2 minutes ago, cowtown said:

Not really, some contracts can be invalidated or have creative interpretation. Some are merely to bully as they’d never stand up in court but the costs to go to court might not be worth fighting it. 

If the amount is only a few grand, dose either sides want to play deep pockets to win?

A contact is only as good as the lawyers involved

I have seen some challenged over the years. A few in winter and fall BUT the point is it has been an honor system also. There are a few with the reputation of taking members against others contracts. Noone wants to be THAT corps that doesnt respect the rules of another. A badge of honor it is not although there are some who wear it