Cone of silence

Have not commented on this stuff in a while. Just a few observations from my point of view.

After Finals I had a feeling this was going to happen (media silence from the corps). Now in fairness, most drum corps offer little to nothing over the late fall, winter, and early spring. We are often lucky to get show ideas or repertoire. The Cadets were unusual by comparison to most. They were giving us loads of good audio/video clips. Regardless of what you think of their shows, it seemed they were taking to social media; and it also seemed they understood the average corps fan's need for a teaser, a sneak peak at what is to come.

My understanding is that they [Cadets] have not been able to oblige this year due to copyright issues. But other factors may be at play.  I suspect that with so many drum corps doing copyrighted music, and with what DCI is going through with legal rights and licensing (the old Fan Network) most units are deciding to not take a chance until they have shows in a more complete stage in addition to licensing, etc.

What I think people would love are warm-up clips, past songs or chorales, even stuff they are working up for encores. 

Only in a competitive market such as DCI (with its very closed infrastructure) would associated organizations ignore a market that if handled correctly could produce revenue. At some point these groups are going to realize that the entire year is a chance to build a fan base, to market and brand, and to potentially gain in revenue.  A few corps seemed to be on that path. Perhaps the licensing has scared everyone away.  But at some point I believe DCI and its' member corps need to learn how to take advantage of DCP, Twitter, FB, and other web services. Licensing is one thing, and competition is good and all; but it should not be a reason to hide everything about the off-season. Drum corps are not hiding secrets from the Russians, nor are they engaged in classified research. I believe it will change.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Yep. But one reason why I like forums (here and elsewhere) is for perspectives and ways of thinking from others. Even if I think the critical thinking is a weak. Which is a nice way of saying, even when I think some perspectives are silly. 

Some forum topics suggest a need for facts and evidence more than others. But even those things are way open for debate and interpretation.

Early in posting life at DCP, I wondered if DCP forums people ever meet up for a cocktail hour during finals week. xandandl responded with something like I must be crazy. (Apologies that I didn't trace back to the post.) I better understand that comment now. And that is haha.

I don't believe I said that at all but rather that folks would probably be out seeing the corps practice.

{I don't drink, never had due to diabetes and a familial liver problem, so I personally steer away from cocktail parties and alcohol oriented activities. As i have buried family members, students and friends killed by drunk drivers I also steer away from others while they are drinking as I haven't buried the feelings about those I had to bury.} Others may do what they want.

Since "proof" seems to be the direction of this thread of late, please provide it if I said otherwise. Thanks.

No one has cited the fact that DCI's media relations and those of its member corps to us the fans has shifted seriously since Bob Jacobs, director of Surf, ceded the energy of outreach to John (de/di) Novi and company. It seems Soundsport has consumed all the outreach and current energies; the corps media has seemed to have shifted to a backburner except for recycling old videos and minimal notices.

18 minutes ago, xandandl said:

No one has cited the fact that DCI's media relations and those of its member corps to us the fans has shifted seriously since Bob Jacobs, director of Surf, ceded the energy of outreach to John (de/di) Novi and company. It seems Soundsport has consumed all the outreach and current energies; the corps media has seemed to have shifted to a backburner except for recycling old videos and minimal notices.

Too many overseas junkets perhaps? :ninja: 

6 hours ago, xandandl said:

I don't believe I said that at all but rather that folks would probably be out seeing the corps practice.

{I don't drink, never had due to diabetes and a familial liver problem, so I personally steer away from cocktail parties and alcohol oriented activities. As i have buried family members, students and friends killed by drunk drivers I also steer away from others while they are drinking as I haven't buried the feelings about those I had to bury.} Others may do what they want.

Since "proof" seems to be the direction of this thread of late, please provide it if I said otherwise. Thanks.

The link to the post is below. You commented, They're bad enough when they are sober. Haven't you been reading these threads????

I remembered it as funny, xandandl. And didn't mean the reference to it here as criticism. (Though I might have bothered to look it up before the recent post.) As more time has passed, I now think of it as both funny and poignant.

5 hours ago, mjoakes said:

The link to the post is below. You commented, They're bad enough when they are sober. Haven't you been reading these threads????

I remembered it as funny, xandandl. And didn't mean the reference to it here as criticism. (Though I might have bothered to look it up before the recent post.) As more time has passed, I now think of it as both funny and poignant.

Thanks. I didn't remember that one.

Maybe I'll be giving up DCP for Lent, ya know, getting rid of temptations. :-p

• Like 1

I wanna bring up a point that I don't think has been yet. The reason the Bluecoats thing worked so well last year was because AMID THE OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS and the other corps being hyped up, Coats were nowhere to be found. So people got excited and were waiting for that. Therefore, I don't think that they're doing it to go off of what Bluecoats did, and if they are, they don't realize that it takes the other announcements to build hype like that. 

Edited by brassdude6171

14 minutes ago, brassdude6171 said:

I wanna bring up a point that I don't think has been yet. The reason the Bluecoats thing worked so well last year was because AMID THE OTHER ANNOUNCEMENTS and the other corps being hyped up, Coats were nowhere to be found. So people got excited and were waiting for that. Therefore, I don't think that they're doing it to go off of what Bluecoats did, and if they are, they don't realize that it takes the other announcements to build hype like that. 

interesting take. 

Coats certainly generated the energy and enthusiastic welcome well before the Wink. Only time will tell if it continues.

I remember when you could just call the hall up and ask in November and they would just tell you what is being played.  Things have changed and the need to keep it quiet for many reasons.  I do like that the Cadets are so open.  It is exciting when you do finally learn who is playing what.  I am hoping for an exciting season this year.

Last Saturday at Shapiro's in Indianapolis, I grabbed a chicken Caesar salad, a side of kiwi, two slices of rye bread, and a pickle spear.   If many corps choose not to provide news in the off-season, there is always the engaging Shapiro's.

• Like 1