Creative or highly effective funding mechanisms

9 hours ago, garfield said:

What do you mean "funny"?  Like how, "funny"?  Like I'm a funny guy, Ha-Ha, "funny"?  Or funny like I look funny?  Or maybe funny like you're laughing AT me, "funny"?  (Pulling a .45 out of my waistband).  Or maybe you meant that it's "funny" how I wave my little friend around here, and how it might be funny if BANG, I kneecap you now "funny".

Can't you tell there's a very SERIOUS argument going on between Brasso and Stu?  What do you mean "funny"?

(/sarcasm and insert :lle:)

Ehhhhhh.... not quite the same amount of intensity in your delivery without all of those Pesci F-Bombs.

BD did nicely by The Godfather in 2006; maybe a corps should tackle Goodfellas too.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:50 PM, garfield said:

I'll tell you what - you answer any way you choose.  Your posts will demonstrate your credibility.  I don't.

I thought I was responding to your request that I offer something substantial in the way of an idea.  So I did.  Then you reply with...well I'm not really sure what you are commenting on.  Maybe it is that you really had nothing of value to say.  I'm also not sure what your credibility comment is about other than being nothing more than you usual obtuse snarkiness.  So I'll tell you what, I'll move on,  not so I don't bother you anymore.  I'd rather have...nah, I'll stop.

I'm concerned that responding to tell someone you're not going to respond might possibly give off the wrong message.

Seriously folks, no one else has ideas? I'm really good at what I do, but I can't be the only marketer on these boards, can I?

Thanks to those who have truly contributed. I really really love the concept behind this thread and would love to see it blow up a la Music Corps Should Do and LOLCorps.

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

I thought I was responding to your request that I offer something substantial in the way of an idea.  So I did.  Then you reply with...well I'm not really sure what you are commenting on.  Maybe it is that you really had nothing of value to say.  I'm also not sure what your credibility comment is about other than being nothing more than you usual obtuse snarkiness.  So I'll tell you what, I'll move on,  not so I don't bother you anymore.  I'd rather have...nah, I'll stop.

OK.

Good call.

Funny how no one else has labeled me "obtusely snarky".  But it's a badge of honor coming from you, I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ouooga said:

I'm concerned that responding to tell someone you're not going to respond might possibly give off the wrong message.

Seriously folks, no one else has ideas? I'm really good at what I do, but I can't be the only marketer on these boards, can I?

Thanks to those who have truly contributed. I really really love the concept behind this thread and would love to see it blow up a la Music Corps Should Do and LOLCorps.

Just goes to show that there is lots of talk about doing the hard, necessary work of funding drum corps, but very little actual experience with actual projects, successful or not.

Probably true that here, like in the actual drum corps world, there are lots of creative programming critiques and ideas but, sadly, very few ideas for actually funding them.

There's a reason why money is the usual culprit of a corps' downfall.

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, Stu said:

For all who have read this far: I still believe that BD is the best ran business of any corps within DCI. And up until the G7 proposal I had very high respect for the corps' who authored and signed that document. But it cut me to the quick when it became public; because that holier-than-thou philosophy was not what I was taught while engaging with a few of those same corps' as a performing member or staff member.  We were taught that while each corps is self-sufficient, DCI is a fraternity of bonded brotherhood from the least traveling/competing corps to the multi-winners of DCI WC.  Apparently that philosophy changed dramatically in the minds of a few director's/boards of those 7 as we moved into the new millennium.

Stu - one thing that was also put forth in the G7 proposal was that DCI spent (at the time) a lot of money on services that could be handled just as well by operations run by drum corps and keep the money "in the family."  As an example, the G7 corps were using CrownTICKETS while DCI was using Ticketmaster.  (Now that we're years past this, it looks like that mostly resolved itself, but it was still an argument back then.)  That's an argument I'm firmly on the big corps' side on. 

Mike

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:30 AM, ouooga said:

Also back to the topic, two more ideas.

1) Remodel space within a corps hall as private practice rooms. Then market these practice halls as private lesson space, so individuals in the community who give private lessons can do so from a dedicated location. Helps to strengthen the ties to the local music education community, and adds an additional revenue stream.

I've volunteered for Genesis and Guardians; I assume Crossmen are the same - who even has a "corps hall" anymore?  Maybe it's a not-Texas thing... :)

Mike

35 minutes ago, MikeN said:

I've volunteered for Genesis and Guardians; I assume Crossmen are the same - who even has a "corps hall" anymore?  Maybe it's a not-Texas thing... :)

Mike

Do none of those have corps halls? I really don't know. When I say corps hall, I literally mean a physical office space, but obviously this would still need to be a case by case basis depending on the corps.

1 hour ago, garfield said:

OK.

Good call.

Funny how no one else has labeled me "obtusely snarky".  But it's a badge of honor coming from you, I guess.

You and I have had our moments where I would bestow said badge on you as well. As long as we're not talking geography we're usually on the same page though. :tongue: