Electronic Amplification

11 minutes ago, Lance said:

most people don't care about the sanctity of acoustic brass anymore, i've found. 

i expect what dinos perceive as a problem is going to become the norm more and more. brass sections are going to get smaller over the next few years. scv is at the vanguard (see what i did) of the brass amplification as much as anybody, so it'll be really interesting to see what they do regarding section allotment over the next several years. 

Well, I rebelled and repelled rock-n-roll because I hated the screeching amplification and being screamed at.  There's no sense in me paying so much for something I mostly hate.

I listen to analog music and drum corps, during the rock-n-roll electric era, was a way for me to get it.  It's one of the things that kept me in it.

I agree about the trend; the "mean" is never static and "normal" is always 2 steps forward and one back.

But until it can be used differently and better, IMO, it's time for the step back. It's gotten harder and harder with each year and I hadn't seen anything different than more of the same arms race, so why would I expect my experience to improve...? 

Maybe that's what this is about with Hop.  Or maybe he's all hot air and there's no meat in his tomato.  But I don't think so; I and others attribute many of the damage as being instigated by him so I absolutely believe that, while diminished and despite his personal drama, his influence in the activity is still significant.

It's ironic that I wanted him marginalized then and brought center stage now.

38 minutes ago, garfield said:

Hear that knocking?  Jeff's noggin' is a tough one - it takes a big stick.

Touche, Stu.

(even if I know he'll say it's a carry-over mistake of some yadayadayada...)

But if ya carry-over 90,000, good golly Miss Molly, which is the mistake? The carry-over... or the 90,000!!?? :doh:

19 minutes ago, garfield said:

Well, I rebelled and repelled rock-n-roll because I hated the screeching amplification and being screamed at.  There's no sense in me paying so much for something I mostly hate.

I listen to analog music and drum corps, during the rock-n-roll electric era, was a way for me to get it.  It's one of the things that kept me in it.

I agree about the trend; the "mean" is never static and "normal" is always 2 steps forward and one back.

But until it can be used differently and better, IMO, it's time for the step back. It's gotten harder and harder with each year and I hadn't seen anything different than more of the same arms race, so why would I expect my experience to improve...? 

Maybe that's what this is about with Hop.  Or maybe he's all hot air and there's no meat in his tomato.  But I don't think so; I and others attribute many of the damage as being instigated by him so I absolutely believe that, while diminished and despite his personal drama, his influence in the activity is still significant.

It's ironic that I wanted him marginalized then and brought center stage now.

Why not just mic the field for every show, same for every corps, and let soloists be mic'd? I know that isn't what the corps doing sampling and feedback want, but so what?

1 minute ago, MikeRapp said:

Why not just mic the field for every show, same for every corps, and let soloists be mic'd? I know that isn't what the corps doing sampling and feedback want, but so what?

Right there with ya'.  But so what?  

Up until now that's not been what they want.

They look at increasing show attendance and call justification for their show design, then make or change or invalidate rules - it's the ultimate "drinking one's tea".

And it was Hop who said he'd never be part of an organization that he couldn't run (meaning DCI in his quote).

I don't see it going anywhere and getting worse.  The money has been spent, the scores given credit for that money spent.  The genie is out of the bottle per se.  I would be shocked if DCI dialed it back.  LOL, the only real hope is that there is an EMP or another circuit started.  I miss the days of soft and loud (real loud) vs loud and louder with a ton of background noise.  Those days are gone.  I HOPE that the real music education is still being taught in schools because drum corps is not what music is.  Oh, it's great and well done (the little that is played) but in the real world...meh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

when the old OT forums area was hopping thats where I did most of my damage. but i'm far from grumpy.

I agree with the "far from grumpy" part. "Brutally realistic" would be a better description. LOL

Edited by Fran Haring

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Great.  Banished again to the back of the band...

Why not just put them in the end-zones?  Once amped, it doesn't matter where they are, on or off the field.

Staying home, not paying those tour fees. LOL

4 hours ago, garfield said:

Great.  Banished again to the back of the band...

Why not just put them in the end-zones?  Once amped, it doesn't matter where they are, on or off the field.

Why not do what Katy Perry did for her Super Bowl Halftime Performance? Massive choreography to recorded music with no musicians on the field at all whatsoever, and lip-syncing to the recording! I mean it is all about the spectacle on the field now, right?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, garfield said:

When I begin to think that the kids are being used as puppets to the egos of designers and directors, some reassessment is due.

I admit it has gotten way worse as of late, and Cesario apparently just addressed this concern to various staff a few weeks ago (which to me is sort of ironic), but the adult narcissistic behavior has been a driving force within DCI for over forty years. Designers and Instructors have been using this activity as a catapult for their own gain for decades, and they now change corps for the sake of possible greater competitive success more than most people change their underwear. Youth are not named in the Hall of Fame, and are only placed in there if they become movers and shakers of the activity as Adults.  I am not saying DCI does not care for the kids, quite the contrary.  The successful corps take extremely good care of the kids. But the 'purpose' of that care for the past forty years was/is to make sure the adult's own artistic desires and careers are fulfilled.  Education some people say drives DCI, well to that I say I can teach drumming with two sticks an a bucket!  And while I find it sad, it is what it is and I have to either tolerate it or walk away from it.

Edited by Stu