Lighting: The new frontier

5 minutes ago, snare_guy_83 said:

Boston might have the best approach to a new visual element with that fire.

That effect could be used at multiple angles, with many colors, at different times in a program.

Does this mean we may see one of these in a show in the near future?

Image result for air dancer gif

• Like 2

Just now, Cadevilina Crown said:

Does this mean we may see one of these in a show in the near future?

Image result for air dancer gif

It's all I hope for...

2 hours ago, garfield said:

And we descend further and further down the road of Cirque on Grass or whatever is popular at the moment.

Drum corps find it easy to change their identity now because they have no identity now.  There-in is the future.

I have to disagree whole heartedly. BAC still has its Identity. They have always been and always will be BAC. Their goal is to put on a great show, give the members an awesome experience, and who cares where the scores go.  Personal opinion may not have liked every show, but they have all been good shows. 

I also dont see how BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV, have lost their Identity. Uniforms dont make the Identity. Its part of it, but not the whole. Corps like SCV, Phantom, Madison, BD, BC have changed their unis drastically many times and still remained the same. 

1 minute ago, CorpsLife said:

I have to disagree whole heartedly. BAC still has its Identity. They have always been and always will be BAC. Their goal is to put on a great show, give the members an awesome experience, and who cares where the scores go.  Personal opinion may not have liked every show, but they have all been good shows. 

I also dont see how BD, Cavies, Cadets, SCV, have lost their Identity. Uniforms dont make the Identity. Its part of it, but not the whole. Corps like SCV, Phantom, Madison, BD, BC have changed their unis drastically many times and still remained the same. 

My opinion is not limited, or driven, by uniforms.

I wonder...  If you put the performances of the top three or five corps into the earbuds of a typical band kid, would they be able to tell who is who?

Some hard core would (the _Kid is a fine example) but, in front of a typical band kid or parent or even casual follower of the activity, I highly doubt they'd be able to hear the subtleties that identify each corps.  As compared to, say, '84 Cadets vs '84 Phantom Regiment vs '84 SCV vs '84 BD.

But, opinions are everywhere!

15 minutes ago, garfield said:

I wonder...  If you put the performances of the top three or five corps into the earbuds of a typical band kid, would they be able to tell who is who?

Yes, IMO at least. Even if they don't know which corps is which, I think they'd be able to pick out the differences in show styles, hornline sounds, or percussion books. No corps is going to sound like they did 30 years ago. Identities evolve, but that doesn't mean they're lost.

So this is what the transition to dinosaur feels like... 

As others have noted, WGI can do this, but not DCI -- at least not in terms of turning the house lights off.  Most HS and College football stadiums are not equipped for on/off/on/off switching. It often takes 20 to 30 minutes to get the light back on once turned off. Also, it is dangerous to turn them back on immediately after turning them off. Those lights run hot. They need to cool down after running for a long time. Too many logistical and costly disadvantages. 

As for a corps using their own lighting, I see that being done on occasion. Maybe we will see more of that, but it would likely only be with corps that have later starting times. I actually thought how it might look cool to see some spot lights on the sides of Bluecoats stage this year and how those lights could be used to feature different elements of the show. 

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I actually thought how it might look cool to see some spot lights on the sides of Bluecoats stage this year and how those lights could be used to feature different elements of the show. 

That might be cool to see; but the voting corps already allow adult non-member engineers to control the sound boards live during what is supposed to be a youth-only contest, do you really want adult non-member engineers to also control the lighting systems during those same live youth performances?

• Like 2