Whats your on favorite show?

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Gonna jump in on this one: It is in the perspective of ‘living’ through something as opposed to learning about it after you were born in which an issue like this arises, not in the actual factual history of the subject matter at hand.  For example, I am old enough to remember witnessing the effects of the Vietnam War as they happened, and also witnessed the 9/11/2001 Attack live on TV after I had become an adult; but many of my former and current private students were not alive during those events.  So, the way I was impacted by say Suncoast Sound’s Vietnam Show and Madison Scouts’ Empire State of Mind performance is vastly different than a kid now watching the Suncoast show on video or even if they watched the Scouts show live in person at Lucas Stadium.  So be very careful on how you criticize older farts like us by calling on the ageism card to further your point.

I hear and understand what you are saying (and appreciate your civility while doing so). That said, there seems to be a one-sided impetus of understanding regarding eras; young fans are expected to understand and appreciate older drum corps, and are criticized if they are not, while the converse does not apply nearly as heavily against older fans. If a young fan came on here and trashed 1983 Cadets as garfield trashes Kinetic Noise, there would be a s****-storm the likes of which has never been seen. All I'm doing is advocating for the educated and informed younger audience in the face of what appears to be an "accepted" hidden bias toward older fans against younger fans. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, pudding said:

I hear and understand what you are saying (and appreciate your civility while doing so). That said, there seems to be a one-sided impetus of understanding regarding eras; young fans are expected to understand and appreciate older drum corps, and are criticized if they are not, while the converse does not apply nearly as heavily against older fans. If a young fan came on here and trashed 1983 Cadets as garfield trashes Kinetic Noise, there would be a s****-storm the likes of which has never been seen. All I'm doing is advocating for the educated and informed younger audience in the face of what appears to be an "accepted" hidden bias toward older fans against younger fans. 

We all have the right, within the rules of DCP, to voice our opinion.  If Gar criticizes the 2015 Bluecoats Kinetic Noise show, a youngin' can come on here and defend that show by also stating that '83 Cadets show is nothing more than Archaic Old Fart Noise.  And if that causes a s***storm it is up to the DCP mods to keep it under control. But what I am advocating is that this is a forum to voice opinions from the young, old, bad, good, right, left, up, down, center; and a place for us to have these types of disagreement debates; provided that it falls within the parameters of the DCP rules.  So, if Gar irritates you, get over it and get busy defending Kinetic Noise from the accusation that it is just that, noise!!!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

The "old vs.young" interpretations, tensions, and misunderstandings are nothing new. That's not about to change. I'm 66 years old. I expect and respect EXCELLENCE. In whatever form. After all these years, I still find excellence in Drum Corps International. Happy Dino here!

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

I also love defiant heart. Such a powerful,emotional, beautiful show with fantastic brass intonation.

I listen to it and say- "this is what a hornline should sound like". This could be my "one" show but I certainly never saw it live and I have only seen it on film 4-5 times so I can't answer that this show is "the one" definitively.

I can't list 10 reasons why this show is a contender... it's just an unexplainable feeling. This show is just love at first sight.

Also "liking" your post for finals 2008. My 2nd favorite year for DCI with a lot of great programs.

Thanks, Planets.  You described quite well what I felt live in 96!  Such sublime brass sound and oh so delicious low brass.  Sadly, today, they'd overpower that stark beauty with #### amplified keyboard bass and ruin it.  LOL

• Like 1

I like the follow up to this one. Picking a show is easy, explaining is harder, but possibly funny...

1989 Phantom Regiment

1. It was one of the first 5 shows I ever saw. It has inherent nostalgia for me

2. That low brassline

3. The emptying of spit valves right after the drum feature cracks me up every time as a camera close-up

4. The hornline drill flip to the front, right before the end

4. Not 1, but 2! wedge kicks

5. It's an underdog that could've won, but it didn't. Only losing to another Top 5 All-Time DCI show

6. It shows the dorkiness of drum corps, but also the power

7. The transitions are near perfect

8. The company front moment only a third of the way through the show, and then the drum major bow

9. The ending reprise

10. It just feels classic, but not completely dated (outside the colorguard uniforms). It shows the OLD mixing with the NOW...but same can be said about SCV the same year. IDK I just love it, ok?

That was terrible but sure, I'll go with those reasons

Edited by ShouldveMarchedAgeOut
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

For me it's the 1986 Blue Devils.  Not sure I can list the 10 reasons but here are some of them, 

The overall flow of the show is perfect 
Great source music
Great musical arrangements
Unbelievable soloists 
Incredible curvilinear drill
Aggressive 
Exciting 
Drum solo

crowd favorite and judge favorite 

It's a masterpiece in my eyes and I feel so thankful and lucky to have seen it at a local show almost exactly 31 years ago.  I remember it like it was yesterday and would love to know how many times I watched it from my VHS tape recoding from PBS (probably over a thousand times)

Until this years BD show this has always been my favorite show of all time.  Admittedly that was my first finals in person.  Made a vacation out of it and went to Madison.  I still have the tapes (I know I know) of that show and absolutely love the music.

5 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

DrumManTx:  You remind me, yet again, why you are among my favorite posters on DCP.     This piece from Bloo 2013 is incredible.     Bluecoats 2013 TLFA is related to each year thereafter.   It is Bluecoats!   The music in the clip, corps and music split, is as hard as anything you'll ever find accomplished on the field.  The execution on this is perfect but took many, many hours of rehearsal to get it this clean.  It's one of my favorite clips of all time.   By the way, '13 Bluecoats is one my personal all time favorites!     

Thanks for posting!!!

Not to quote my own self, BUT...not only is this one of my favorite shows, but, Lordy, after watching this again, I am reminded of how incredible the Bluecoats used to look.   FWIW, I am about ready for Bloo to scrap their current onesies and go back to when this corps looked bad$$z.    Last year and this year has been very cool and hipster-like.  But those old Bluecoats uniforms- ah, those were the days! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Not to quote my own self, BUT...not only is this one of my favorite shows, but, Lordy, after watching this again, I am reminded of how incredible the Bluecoats used to look.   FWIW, I am about ready for Bloo to scrap their current onesies and go back to when this corps looked bad$$z.    Last year and this year has been very cool and hipster-like.  But those old Bluecoats uniforms- ah, those were the days! 

For many years, I looked to each drum corps as an ARMY GOING INTO BATTLE. These days, not sure how to describe what I see. BUT . . .  it's pretty amazing just the same!

Greetings all!  Here's my piece for this intriguing thread:

1st show attended (that I remember):  Some DCA show around 1970. There were undoubtedly ones earlier but I don't remember them.  My father marched with St. Vincent's Cadets in the '50s so drum corps has been part of me my entire life.

1st show marched: some local circuit show in 1975.

My "one" show:  1974 Finals.  My first Finals.  We had heard about the "big corps" from friends the previous year and made the trip to Ithaca.  That night, the crowd was electric and the second half of the show was filled with dynamic performance after dynamic performance - Muchachos, Kingsmen, SCV, Madison.  The crowd was in a constant frenzy. And I fell in love with SCV.

My "one" program:  I'm going to go with the old school / new school format...with a twist...I'm choosing non-SCV programs, simply because they are by far my favorite corps.  For the record, my SCV new/old programs are 1975 and 2015 (and I love 2016 and 2017).

Old school:  1976 Phantom Regiment.  To me, this was the year that they really established their sound and identity.  They showed flashes of it the previous year but really went "all in" this year.  The drum major messing up his hair and playing the rifle/flag "pipe organ" during Toccata and Fugue...the pure power of the horn line...the build up to and the company front itself in American in Paris, with the sopranos soaring to the octave in the second half of it and the contras run at the very end...the "Rockford File"....and the fact that my first (drum corps) crush marched with them that year - older than me, marched in the horn line (French horn) - and for some reason she talked to me even though I marched with a different corps - and she talked to me at several shows...

New school: 2015 Carolina Crown "Inferno".  For as much as I did NOT like 2013 and 2014, they absolutely converted me with Inferno.  Brass. BRASS. BRASS!!! The theme was beautifully conveyed the entire show...the sheer red fabric over the horn line and the "souls" fighting to escape.  I absolutely love every minute of it.

Edited by gak27
missed some info...
  • Like 3