Cadets 2018

I have a feeling The Cadets are going to bring the house down. I really like some of the selections. 

Make a statement that’s essentially “We are here, and We aren’t going anywhere” 

Edited by ohwiseone
  • Like 4

I'm excited to see Ballet Sacra in the program. The Cadets and Holsinger go together so well. It'll be interesting to hear it so long after it was used in 1993.

2 hours ago, Tommeee said:

Yes, as ridiculous as that may sound to some people, the former guard caption supervisor DID have something to do with the poor percussion staging.  Both directly AND indirectly.

Also, while on the topic of the former guard caption supervisor, I get the sense that her old-school teaching approach doesn't work as well in today's world.  I'm anxious to see how things change this year.

odd. never had staging issues teaching with her at the HS level.

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

odd. never had staging issues teaching with her at the HS level.

Actually she is great at what she does.  I really do not believe she had anything to do with the percussion staging at all.  I am still a believer that the biggest issue with just about everything that occurred at Cadets is gone.  It's a shame that she got caught up in all of this stuff.  I believe she is actually very good at her job.

Edited by candymancan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, candymancan said:

Actually she is great at what she does.  I really do not believe she had anything to do with the percussion staging at all.  I am still a believer that the biggest issue with just about everything that occurred at Cadets is not longer an issue.  It's a shame that she got caught up in all of this stuff.  I believe she is actually very good at her job.

Hopkins drove it. IMO

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 8:50 AM, George Dixon said:

which was very odd - I don't think the DCI judging community knew what to do or make of Cadets 2017 program, especially percussion wise (which I felt was their best caption last year)

A lot of people didn't know what to make of it. I was left with a flood of mixed feelings all over the spectrum all at once, that's never good when one adjudicates any team.

4 hours ago, tesmusic said:

I'm excited to see Ballet Sacra in the program. The Cadets and Holsinger go together so well. It'll be interesting to hear it so long after it was used in 1993.

What the visual will be intrigues me more than what the audio will be. I have loved the piece since first hearing it before the '93 season but a lot has changed in the visual world since then. Ending a la retro legacy Cadets?  Choir aspect a la Holsinger's original arrangement? Bobby Jones proving he's up to Zingali, Sylvester, Sacktig at their best?  We shall see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xandandl said:

What the visual will be intrigues me more than what the audio will be. I have loved the piece since first hearing it before the '93 season but a lot has changed in the visual world since then. Ending a la retro legacy Cadets?  Choir aspect a la Holsinger's original arrangement? Bobby Jones proving he's up to Zingali, Sylvester, Sacktig at their best?  We shall see.

There are endless possibilities!

1 hour ago, tesmusic said:

There are endless possibilities!

The source music actually ends with a brief epilogue with a very quiet finish after the rousing parts... drill condensing down into the “prayer block” would be a fitting ending given the circumstances and the show theme 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1