Cadets 2018

1 hour ago, skevinp said:

I remember in 2005 I had a beer because I was so blown away by their show.  Then in 2008 I had a beer because I was so frustrated with the narration.  Then in 2011, I had a beer to celebrate their victory.

Actually, now that I think about it, I may have a drinking problem.  

Man... I sat at the QF simulcast with the '08 show and said to my friend, "Shoot me. Just shoot me now. Please." I can't think of any show that provoked such a negative visceral reaction as it did with so many people. Even BD's Dada show... well... having any reaction at all fit the theme perfectly. What set me off in large part was the performers were performing the bejeezis out of what they were being asked to do, and they deserved so, so much better for material to present.

I can even watch the movie "Manos: the Hands of Fate" (usually thought of as the worst movie ever made, makes Plan 9 look like Citizen Kane and the Godfather Parts 1 and 2 put together) and not feel that way.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Truth is, the last couple of years, they weren’t even trying to hide the tension.  It was so thick in 2016 when I was at a rehearsal, I left for awhile and had a beer. 

My wife and I had a similar experience in 2016. There was a really bad vibe at rehearsal. We left, had several beers and went to watch Blue Devils practice.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Man... I sat at the QF simulcast with the '08 show and said to my friend, "Shoot me. Just shoot me now. Please." I can't think of any show that provoked such a negative visceral reaction as it did with so many people. Even BD's Dada show... well... having any reaction at all fit the theme perfectly. What set me off in large part was the performers were performing the bejeezis out of what they were being asked to do, and they deserved so, so much better for material to present.

I looked at Jim and said what the absolute  #### is this.? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BigW said:

:thumbup: It was like... a really fresh breeze was there mentally. I knew if I felt so positive- everyone else had to.

Your assessment is pretty accurate. I was at the camp at Red Land and was very impressed with the experience. My wife and I left with the feeling that the Cadets were going to survive. And not only survive, but thrive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I looked at Jim and said what the absolute  #### is this.? 

2008 Cadets was the biggest mess of a show I have ever seen. I was actually embarrassed for the kids in the corps. We had the pleasure of watching the early stages of that show at winter camps. You should have seen some of the crap that didn't make it to the field!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dans said:

My wife and I had a similar experience in 2016. There was a really bad vibe at rehearsal. We left, had several beers and went to watch Blue Devils practice.

Same thing for me.  2016 didn't look like Cadets during spring training, and the rehearsals I visited later in the summer didn't have a good vibe at all.  I usually loved the way Colin and Gino ran ensemble, but something was clearly off.  I was at a percussion rehearsal in a local stadium in late summer, and Colin was so frustrated that he verbally said to them, "I'm ready to just end this rehearsal right now and tell you guys to go back to the school."  In hindsight, there was obviously a lot more to the situation than was known at the time.  There were so many subplots that year.  The talent of that corps was proven by seeing how much everything had improved by finals, even with the design issues.

Contrast all that with the rehearsal vibe in 2017 and 2018.  Overwhelming POSITIVITY amongst staff and members.  Tom Aungst has such a great demeanor, it is clear why he has had such success.  And Drew Shanefield is one of the most complimentary and reassuring instructors I have seen.  It is infectious.  Members obviously really want to be a part of it.

With the additional admin changes that have taken place, I really believe 2018 is going to be a huge step forward.

• Like 3

The 2018 mms have a very healthy sense of humor and respect when facing tension and confusion. This allows them to focus on the larger issues and progress to a greater goal. In the process they have bonded amazingly and spontaneously. I can give a few examples but it would come across more authentically in the words and actions of the mms themselves who choose to post if they wish. 

Just saying, Tekk will be quite proud. They are true Cadets.

No automatic alt text available.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 2

I have seen what they have been working on multiple times both in Johnstown and Ada.  It is absolutely refreshing to see the positive vibe from the mm's and staff.  There is such a feeling of "old" Cadets mixed with a nice bit of "modern" Cadets in the show.  I have no idea how it will do competitively,  but I don't care.  To me, they have already won in so many ways.  I am so impressed with them at this juncture and excited to see how they continue to push over the course of the summer.  They are doing some hard/fast things and it will take time to get it clean but that's the way it should be (IMO) instead of coming out of the gate blazing and then die off.  I'm pulling for you Cadets and I am so excited for you all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1