Staff Merry-go-round 2018 Edition

9 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I found Boston to be an extremely friendly city when I was there in June. The same goes for the BAC ppl. Can't say the same for those other corps. 

I didn't find that at all. But then again, I made sure to wear every piece of Indianapolis Colts/Peyton Manning gear I had for every day of Finals week back in 2005. :D

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

If it is true, then it would seem to confirm the boycott of Bostons show (denied) and certainly expose a degree of pettiness as well.  These are adults we are talking about, right?

Some apparent hypocrisy evident too here. Boston has sent former staffers and marchers to both these Corps over the years, and Boston never boycotted their shows, nor failed to watch their shows, nor expressed any displeasure to these Corps at all. Boston just went about their business. Now, that staffers, marchers came from these 2 Corps to Boston,  and suddenly these 2 Corps exhibit pettiness, vindictiveness,, boycotts, etc ?... because they don't like now the very same things that they did with Corps like Boston for years, and in some cases,  for decades ? Get over themselves.  If Boston turned the tables on them, too bad. Everybody knows what these 2 G7 Corps tried to do behind closed doors to the Non G7 Corps such as Boston not that long ago. They need to put this current pettiness behind them and move on from it for heavens sake.... and yes, grow up.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Some apparent hypocrisy evident too here. Boston has sent former staffers and marchers to both these Corps over the years, and Boston never boycotted their shows, nor failed to watch their shows, nor expressed any displeasure to these Corps at all. Boston just went about their business. Now, that staffers, marchers came from these 2 Corps to Boston,  and suddenly these 2 Corps exhibit pettiness, vindictiveness,, boycotts, etc ?... because they don't like now the very same things that they did with Corps like Boston for years, and in some cases,  for decades ? Get over themselves.  If Boston turned the tables on them, too bad. Everybody knows what these 2 G7 Corps tried to do behind closed doors to the Non G7 Corps not that long ago.

I don't, please tell

19 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Some apparent hypocrisy evident too here. Boston has sent former staffers and marchers to both these Corps over the years, and Boston never boycotted their shows, nor failed to watch their shows, nor expressed any displeasure to these Corps at all. Boston just went about their business. Now, that staffers, marchers came from these 2 Corps to Boston,  and suddenly these 2 Corps exhibit pettiness, vindictiveness,, boycotts, etc ?... because they don't like now the very same things that they did with Corps like Boston for years, and in some cases,  for decades ? Get over themselves.  If Boston turned the tables on them, too bad. Everybody knows what these 2 G7 Corps tried to do behind closed doors to the Non G7 Corps such as Boston not that long ago. They need to put this current pettiness behind them and move on from it for heavens sake.... and yes, grow up.

Amen. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, onionhead said:

I don't, please tell

Nah.. Its over with. Dealt with the best place it could have been dealt with... on the fields of competition.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

You are forgetting that Crown lost key color guard instructors to Boston Crusaders and quite a few members of Crown's guard followed. I don't think the departure of folks from Cadets surprised too many, it has been happening for years though the staff going to BAC seemed to surprise some. The Crown departure was more surprising, as a review of posts last fall will show. 

I agree that in the fair market, people are free to come and go, that's business, but that does not mean people can not be angry or hurt over a departure, that's human. 

Oh gosh - here we go again

1. Cadets have had historically low caption head, arranger and staff turnover through the years - only BD has lower. Staff isn't coming and going all the time as some would like to make it seem. Cadets have taken many marching members and move them to tech and then caption positions through the years - and then exported the talent. This years percussion team is a good example of that. Young techs who will grow in effectiveness over the next couple seasons. Not quite as flush with cash as some other top corps it is a cost-effective way to get things done. People tend to leave Cadets and get "paid" - be it inside DCI, WGI, BOA etc

2. Gino was with Cadets since 2000. Colin practically his ENTIRE teaching career - first under Tom, then as Caption Head. They left together due to a desire to do something else, work with different people and both are somewhat a package deal as their wives are sisters and Colin has attachments in the Boston area. Boston was in the position to make them a generous offer and the rest is history. Good for them and good for Boston

3. If there is any "animosity" between the 3 organizations it probably has to do with off season antics and not the staff situation. A lot of heavily recruiting of members - which is not unprecedented in this activity IMO. Been going on for decades and folks should just get over it. The BAC organization put themselves in a great position and they are doing everything they can and need to do to make the corps as successful as possible. As they should be. People do take this things a bit personal even though there really isn't much "personal" about it. IMO all is fair in love, war & drum corps (aka "business"). 

I do get all the frustration and concern - but honestly "this too shall pass"

All 3 corps have few ageouts - the teams will continue to grow and learn and I'd imagine next year will see a more compacted and hopefully "friendly" rivalry emerge between these three. It is a new "reality" for Cadets who mainly had the entire East to themselves and now have Crusaders, Crown and Bloo as top options for potential staff and members. Good news is we have massive population centers and plenty of potential "ringer" members to go around. Cadets are stepping up their recruiting for 2018 - with two Texas auditions, a massive experience camp at MetLife (Meadowlands) stadium and 2 high school "experience" camps all leading into their audition camps. 

As far as staff - I don't expect too many changes at the 3 corps. Cadets will move to "reinforce" the brass team - so watch for something on that. Also heard about some other interesting moves between corps but nothing announced - so time will tell.  Stay tuned on that - I guess we hear announcements starting after Labor Day. 

Edited by George Dixon
clarity
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

By folks, I mean fans, not staff or people who make decisions about the tour, so their displeasure does not lend credibility to a story that from what I heard has a DCI version, a BAC version, a Crown version, and a Cadets version and at this point really needs to be water under the bridge.

exactly. Fans (and sometimes "band moms") can be very petty in this activity - it's time to move on and all 3 organizations just work to have an even better 2018

my long-view on this is IT IS GOOD FOR THE ACTIVITY 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

it's time to move on and all 3 organizations just work to have an even better 2018

'Could not have said it any better myself.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

exactly. Fans (and sometimes "band moms") can be very petty in this activity - it's time to move on and all 3 organizations just work to have an even better 2018

Agreed...ive seen it from crown fans since 2012 and frankly it affects my judgement of the "crownies". I have no loyaty, except to the activity as a whole, which is why i spring for FDCI  tickets when I can...maybe even joining at  the Gold level for next season. i could care less who goes where, just develop shows that bring me outta my seat on Finals night. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay in Boston but I'm hardly breaking news when I saw that Boston is home to the most hated teams in sports. There's a reason for that and it's not just because they've been successful. I'll leave it at that. 

I don't think you've been to Boston lately. I am a life long Massachusetts resident who has always lived in the Boston area, so I may be biased regarding the sports teams who were loved until they became successful, and yes fans can get rowdy, but that doesn't happen in LA, Chicago, or New York where one of their teams is referred to as "the Evil Empire"? But what angers people about Boston? Having some of the world's best colleges and finest medical facilities? The rich colonial history that attracts tourists from all over the world? Having a great symphony orchestra and one of the finest art museums in the country? Is addressing the problems of racism that divided the city in the past and having a city that is now majority minority with urban neighborhoods that are thriving a problem? This is the Boston of today, and if that angers people, let them stew.