The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

1 hour ago, ebo said:

I believe Sean.  if you knew him you would too.  

as a former YEA! employee, none of the people I worked with over the 2 years I was there are surprised about Hopkins  we all knew he was a hypocrite and a creep and for some employees there was freedom for plenty of what some would call locker room talk. it was part of the work culture.

i agree Sean is good and he mostly stayed out of the messs but there was no HR department, just colleagues venting to one another.  being there the longest Sean would daily hear frustrations of employees and then he would get dumped on by Hopkins daily.  

i can imagine Jess probably went to Sean's office and said something basicly like, "George is unbearable and rude and inappropriate." And Sean probably nodded and said, "I know.  Just avoid him."  that basic conversation happened hundreds of times while i was there. most times it was because hop yelled about ticket sales being low or not enough bands being signed up for a band show. if she didn't explicitly say what hop was doing to make her uncomfortable sean probably assumed it was typical stuff.

Sean probably didn't know exactly what was going on and even with all the complaints there was no recourse for him to do anything with the complaints. There was no HR and no spines on the board members. So Sean just took in people's venting and did what he could to make them feel supported.  Had he been told of a physical assault I have no doubt he would have reported it to the police or advised her to do the same but at a certain point 'Hop is rude and an ###.' was just part of the job that everyone accepted because if you didn't, you'd be the one out of a job.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

welllllll. freedom is one thing unshackled staff can also be disastrous. There still needs to be a bad guy to reign things in.

You are right though about design panic and rewrites. But one has to also make the changes early on rather than spend a summer trying to prove a point that never gets made. A fine line for sure.

I don't necessarily agree with the need to have a "bad guy" to rein things in.  What is needed to maximize success, IMO, is collaboration and not just in the premise that all on the staff and working together is collaborating, but authentic collaboration where the key designers set ego's aside and fully consider an idea.  To look at it from many POV's.  There should be an overseer to ensure the collaboration is happening but that oversight should be communicated in a positive fashion at all times.  Aquiescence &   compromise when needed.

For show growth during the season, there should be preplanned changes:   planned layering with milestones for incorporating changes in a timely manner and allow for cleaning for peak performance in Indy.  I get the sense this will now happen for them this season.  Management can manage the corps and make repairs, designers can design the show and the techs can clean and enable performance.  And kids can enjoy without worry.  It is a new day for this group.  Best of luck to all.

whether or not Mr King did bad, remember the oft disputed 18th century quote: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Unfortunately, many good people did nothing for a long time...Mr King is getting the "poop rolls downhill" treatment. Right now, we have to lean on the side of believing the accuser....as we should. This is a very very painful moment in year 46 of DCI, the entire activity has to take their lickins' right now...hopefully we can recover. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, wallace said:

I appreciate the fact you’ve given a lot to the Cadets; however, there are too many alleged victims with similar stories to discount the possibility that George is guilty of these acts. We have to give the benefit of the doubt to the women. Otherwise, it signals that drum corps is not a safe environment for teenagers and young adults to pursue their dreams. It was the correct move to suspend Sean even if he’s innocent. Is it ideal? No, but it was necessary and prudent given the volatility of the current scandal.

Do me a favor...I am not a GH fan or defending him.  He hurt the victims and many others.   Wow do you guys twist things. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MikeN said:

...why we're where we are now.

...off topic, I know, but that phrase is fun to say out loud.

1 minute ago, ebo said:

Do me a favor...I am not a GH fan or defending him.  He hurt the victims and many others.   Wow do you guys twist things. 

I think it was because at least twice you said something like "I have spoken to at least 10 YEA employees that said they never saw anything like was alleged go on at YEA."  That makes it sound like you are defending him or questioning the victims stories.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

whether or not Mr King did bad, remember the oft disputed 18th century quote: “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Unfortunately, many good people did nothing for a long time...Mr King is getting the "poop rolls downhill" treatment. Right now, we have to lean on the side of believing the accuser....as we should. This is a very very painful moment in year 46 of DCI, the entire activity has to take their lickins' right now...hopefully we can recover. 

Ridiculous. He has acted in the past and even acted to another complaint the alleged victim had with another situation where that person was fired by Sean so your argument is null.  

6 minutes ago, ebo said:

I don't see how they twisted anything to make you appear to support GH.  They just said in this current climate we have to take the victims at 100% of their word.

3 minutes ago, ebo said:

Ridiculous. He has acted in the past and even acted to another complaint the alleged victim had with another situation where that person was fired by Sean so your argument is null.  

Devils advocate: He acted against the other employee because they were lower on the totem poll, but not against his boss.

Argument is not null as you wish it to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GeekySam said:

I think it was because at least twice you said something like "I have spoken to at least 10 YEA employees that said they never saw anything like was alleged go on at YEA."  That makes it sound like you are defending him or questioning the victims stories.

No it means that what George did was not in the open where others saw it can could even know what he was doing.  In fact look at all the stories and read them.  Most were where he told them out or to a hotel room...etc.   How would the YEA people see this?  Don't make them victims too.  I have spoken to YEA employees and they all said they didn't see any of this at work. That is not saying that George didn't do it nor am I defending him.  I am defending a person who should not be another victim of this, Sean King.