The Cadets and GH history of sexual abuse (news article)

Just now, ebo said:

Ridiculous. He has acted in the past and even acted to another complaint the alleged victim had with another situation where that person was fired by Sean so your argument is null.  

Whats ridiculous? The road to **** is paved with good intentions. He may have been rock solid in reporting others...but 1 mistake can  take down great men and women...its has happened in the past. Listen, i dont know your angle or your background, but I know PR and marketing. Any sense of covering anything up is bad. I dont think you are arguing rationally, due to a prior relationship with Mr King. I am looking a t this form the 50k foot level and from that level, it looks bad, and where we are with METOO and TimesUp, thats is enough to questions ones motives. Right now, if i were advising the org, I would eliminate everyone and bring in 100% outsiders. 

Just now, Kyle B said:

Devils advocate: He acted against the other employee because they were lower on the totem poll, but not against his boss.

Argument is not null as you wish it to be.

Or she never told him which is the correct answer because if you knew Sean you would know his character.   

Just now, ebo said:

No it means that what George did was not in the open where others saw it can could even know what he was doing.  In fact look at all the stories and read them.  Most were where he told them out or to a hotel room...etc.   How would the YEA people see this?  Don't make them victims too.  I have spoken to YEA employees and they all said they didn't see any of this at work. That is not saying that George didn't do it nor am I defending him.  I am defending a person who should not be another victim of this, Sean King. 

If you want to raise holy hell, either contact the news reporter (which it appears you have not yet) to yell and scream your point and show her the truth, contact the victim and shake her down for the facts, or let the board handle it.  DCP isn't going to help you with getting the truth out since it isn't a news organization.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Flores said:

Whats ridiculous? The road to **** is paved with good intentions. He may have been rock solid in reporting others...but 1 mistake can  take down great men and women...its has happened in the past. Listen, i dont know your angle or your background, but I know PR and marketing. Any sense of covering anything up is bad. I dont think you are arguing rationally, due to a prior relationship with Mr King. I am looking a t this form the 50k foot level and from that level, it looks bad, and where we are with METOO and TimesUp, thats is enough to questions ones motives. Right now, if i were advising the org, I would eliminate everyone and bring in 100% outsiders. 

He said he she didn't tell him.  When she told him about the other he reacted.  His character speaks for itself.   He is not a liar. 

1 minute ago, ebo said:

No it means that what George did was not in the open where others saw it can could even know what he was doing.  In fact look at all the stories and read them.  Most were where he told them out or to a hotel room...etc.   How would the YEA people see this?  Don't make them victims too.  I have spoken to YEA employees and they all said they didn't see any of this at work. That is not saying that George didn't do it nor am I defending him.  I am defending a person who should not be another victim of this, Sean King. 

the way you worded it did not make it that clear.

And I'm a former YEA! employee and i agree that we didn't see actual physical assaults in the office or know the extent that was going on - but we all knew he was capable, all knew he talked about stuff a professional shouldn't be talking about in the office, and we all are not in the least surprised.  We accepted that dealing with Hopkins being an ### and getting whatever he wanted was part of the job.  last night a coworker and i were talking about how just that - accepting any of his behaviour that would be unacceptable anywhere else - enabled him to continue to think he could do anything he wanted.  there was nothing we saw that we could bring to the police but there was plenty we enabled and that is something we are all going to need to live with - including sean who i also like alot.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Kyle B said:

If you want to raise holy hell, either contact the news reporter (which it appears you have not yet) to yell and scream your point and show her the truth, contact the victim and shake her down for the facts, or let the board handle it.  DCP isn't going to help you with getting the truth out since it isn't a news organization.

It has already been done!  To follow up with the victim and see if she recalls when Sean took her seriously when he fired the other harassing employee.   They should follow up because a good man's life is being ruined.  

1 minute ago, ebo said:

Or she never told him which is the correct answer because if you knew Sean you would know his character.   

I guess that means you were around her and Sean during her time at YEA to know exactly what was said or not said.  Maybe she used not so damning words when talking about the harassment that was taken like every single other YEA employee complaining about GH and he thought it was more of the same.

Point is, you nor I were not around every day in the office.  You can't 100% say for sure what she said or he said.  

I hope he is found innocent, but her allegations MUST BE LOOKED INTO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ebo said:

I think you may be wishing for the best based on donating a ton of money.

2 minutes ago, Kyle B said:

I guess that means you were around her and Sean during her time at YEA to know exactly what was said or not said.  Maybe she used not so damning words when talking about the harassment that was taken like every single other YEA employee complaining about GH and he thought it was more of the same.

Point is, you nor I were not around every day in the office.  You can't 100% say for sure what she said or he said.  

I hope he is found innocent, but her allegations MUST BE LOOKED INTO.

Allegations of what?  Sean didn't harass her. I agree they need to do an investigation and clear his name which I am sure will be the result.  

46 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

I don't necessarily agree with the need to have a "bad guy" to rein things in.  What is needed to maximize success, IMO, is collaboration and not just in the premise that all on the staff and working together is collaborating, but authentic collaboration where the key designers set ego's aside and fully consider an idea.  To look at it from many POV's.  There should be an overseer to ensure the collaboration is happening but that oversight should be communicated in a positive fashion at all times.  Aquiescence &   compromise when needed.

For show growth during the season, there should be preplanned changes:   planned layering with milestones for incorporating changes in a timely manner and allow for cleaning for peak performance in Indy.  I get the sense this will now happen for them this season.  Management can manage the corps and make repairs, designers can design the show and the techs can clean and enable performance.  And kids can enjoy without worry.  It is a new day for this group.  Best of luck to all.

You do get were dealing with drum corps don't ya.lol,. I have done this for decades and there has always been the " bad guy " so to speak in any successful program, There is always someone who has to look at the whole picture and not small parts. Not everyone knows how to do this. There are big picture people as well as small pic people.

You are right, compromise is needed BUT with a very short season this cannot be Congress and talk things out each and every time.. Just doesn't work Pre planned changes need to be in place yes BUT often that gets shoved to the side because of feedback from judges. Often great programs get feedback that is already on their to-do lists and are ahead of the game There isn't a staff person alive who doesn't get frustrated because everyone thinks their section is a priority. It seems like it would be a very simple process and it can be but the road to that can be bumpy for sure..

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1