In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

sure I would agree with that BUT you have to get a kid to bring a parent if over 18 to even begin with

Don’t even need to bring the parent. A letter or email spelling out the situation is more than enough.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Don’t even need to bring the parent. A letter or email spelling out the situation is more than enough.

Over 18 it's not needed. I have had kids refuse to bring contracts home stating they are an adult. I actually had a kid fight it pretty hard once.  Even had a parent refuse when there was an issue saying his kid was an adult it's their problem to solve.

Edited by GUARDLING

8 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

Why was Moody not allowed to teach youth at a school, but Fred Morrison thought that it was ok for him to teach in DCI, second chance or not?

He did not teach... as I understand it he was admin (I know a distinction without a difference for this discuss). Fred believed that Mr. Moody had changed. And since he joined the Crossmen there was no reported incident(s) he was ever accused of to the administration.

8 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

Are is integrity and convictions up for change? Can they develop? Ultimately, would he do this again?

(EDIT: Want to make it clear that I am not suggesting a fundamental change in belief system, but a change within limits. Balancing his personal drive to provide second chances with the safety of the youth within his charge)

It seems obvious that people people don't understand the danger of his actions. Including himself ... at least, until hopefully now. Would his convictions compel him to do this again?

Fair point. Hindsight being 20/20 I am not sure he would do it again (particularly where we are as a country (and an activity) with this issue now. 

4 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Over 18 it's not needed. I have had kids refuse to bring contracts home stating they are an adult. I actually had a kid fight it pretty hard once.  Even had a parent refuse when there was an issue saying his kid was an adult it's their problem to solve.

In this climate full disclosure is always best. 

• Like 1

Just now, BigW said:

Agreed. Even if it's not legally obligated, it's morally the right thing to do.

Lord knows moralmand legal aren’t mutually exclusive but better to be safe than sorry

45 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

18 or not, parents or legal guardians have a right to know

If DCI is copying how education works...

If a college student is 18+, his/her parents/guardians do NOT have a right to know about their child's college experiences, grades, etc, unless the child signs a release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

It should be available on file for that very reason. Yes, it's cumbersome, but yes.

Agree. Every corps employee paperwork should be available to be checked on request by the responsible parties...member if 18+, parents/guardians if the MM is under 18 or has signed a release to permit them, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1