In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

Just now, JimF-LowBari said:

So what is the magic google phrase to find this info. Seriously it would never hit me to google corps staff to see if they had any skeletons like this in the closet. Sorry Mike but you are making it sound like it is the members fault for not playing detective to find this info.

Oh, no. It is not incumbent on corps members to play detective. I just think that a lot of them would probably look at their staff members online just to learn about them out of curiosity, not to find dirt.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JimF-LowBari said:

So what is the magic google phrase to find this info. Seriously it would never hit me to google corps staff to see if they had any skeletons like this in the closet. Sorry Mike but you are making it sound like it is the members fault for not playing detective to find this info.

No he isnt..the magic Google is merely putting a name in.. You would be surprised. Put your own name in you might find something you posted years ago. It may not occur to you to do this on a subject, person, place history, successes, failures, other things a person involved with BUT it is a common thing among many if not most nowadays

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Looking backwards in time it is easy to disagree with his decision, but it was his call in a different world.

No, this isn't a case of hindsight.  Crossmen staff AT THE TIME told Morrison it was a bad idea, and they were told it's none of their business.   People on DCP were saying it was the wrong thing for Teal to do in 2011.   Sandusky had just been arrested at Penn State the prior year, and that was the VERY FIRST THING that my local town was asking me about when I went in for township recognition:  what background checks and policies do you have to avoid these situations.   No one can sit here and claim that "the times were different back then".

Edited by Eleran
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

No he isnt..the magic Google is merely putting a name in.. You would be surprised. Put your own name in you might find something you posted years ago. It may not occur to you to do this on a subject, person, place history, successes, failures, other things a person involved with BUT it is a common thing among many if not most nowadays

Understood and found where someone was hiding that way (they are in prison until 2021). Probably not Mikes intention but coming across as “well you should have known anyway”. Which imo does not match with corps basically telling parents their kids are safe.

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

6 years before #metoo is a lifetime in this particular topic, sad to say. As for Moody's subsequent behavior with the staff member(s), nothing was ever brought to Morrison's attention, for whatever reasons. Hopefully it is now easier for those harassed to step forward, and also hopefully people making decisions and leading organizations are learning and changing as well. 

the article shows when some people did bring concerns to Morrison, he shut it down. 

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understood and found where someone was hiding that way (they are in prison until 2021). Probably not Mikes intention but coming across as “well you should have known anyway”. Which imo does not match with corps basically telling parents their kids are safe.

I hear ya although I do think more knew than what people think. This does not excuse  anyone

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Thanks 1

Ok quick question: would corps members know the names of all the staff and other workers before they go on tour. We seemed to have a revolving door at times as we rebuilt and had different needs. Thinking of ability to do it yourself checks here. And I’m sure the ye olde no internet on tour went out the window with smart phones. Like the no cameras of any kind at work kinda went kaput

Edited by JimF-LowBari

43 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Its worth it if the person who makes the decision thinks it is worth it. Morrison obviously thought so, given his life experience and philosophy at the time he made it, back in 2012. Nothing came to him to question that decision until all of this broke this year. None of the staff members quoted in the article felt comfortable going to him, so they did not. Whether or not he would have reacted as they might have wished is all speculative, since he was never told. 

yet the info about Moody came out when Teal hired him. Not all prospective members  or parents read DCP

11 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Oh, no. It is not incumbent on corps members to play detective. I just think that a lot of them would probably look at their staff members online just to learn about them out of curiosity, not to find dirt.  

it seems now parents should do it as a best business practice going forward

• Like 2