In The News – Drum Corps Chairman Resigns Amid Scrutiny Of His Hiring Of Disgraced Teacher

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

Can you please show the link that led you to say this?

The articles I read from the first post in this thread (and some of the links), stated that one staff  member (Buckingham) back in 2013 approached  Morrison because of Moody's Winter Park issues, and in fact resigned in part because of Moody being on staff. 

The corps director of Genesis (Magonigal) also approached Morrison in 2014 with similar concerns, again, pointing out Moody's Winter Park experience, not new examples with the Xmen.

The young women from the staff who felt uncomfortable around Moody, and one who actually had a consensual relationship with him, never approached Morrison, from my reading.  

I unfortunately cannot. I have been given information from several sources, however, it was provided in confidence and so I can't provide names per their request. So, sorry I can't do more than that. I do understand your question. From what you can get from news sources so far, you see one name. 

Edited by HockeyDad

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

I unfortunately cannot. I have been given information from several sources, however, it was provided in confidence and so I can't provide names per their request. So, sorry I can't do more than that. I do understand your question. From what you can get from news sources so far, you see one name. 

Fair enough.

13 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Every time you say this, and you have said it multiple times, I will challenge it. It is simply not true there were no reported incidents. Multiple (as in, more than two) staff met with the corps director and discussed concerns including examples, and were basically told the matter is not up for discussion. So, are you playing word games?  By "reported incident " do you mean something in writing?  A report filed with police?  This is too important an issue to play word games with. Staff (multiple) at Crossmen raised serious concerns with the corps director concerning Moody's behavior. Do you dispute this?

Not playing word games. As it was reported... staff raised concerns about HIRING Mr. Moody... NOT because of any incident(s). If you have seen reports to the contrary I am happy to stand corrected. He hired Moody. Staff members complained about the hire because of his history. Morrison had already determined he was giving him a chance so decided to press on. Since that tie there were no incidents that were reported (meaning brought to Morrison or other corps admin) of suspect behavior by Moody. Again, as I understand it the staff concerns were with the initial hire and there was no reports of behavioral issue while he was with the corps. Now, the paper reported some people were made to feel uncomfortable which was NOT reported to the corps. That is my point. Not word games. Just laying out the sequence of events as I understand them because the sequence is important.

13 hours ago, BRASSO said:

The likes of Moody won't be hired any time soon in DCI, imo. Now, if I'm wrong on this, then we'll probably see a Corps or two not adequately learning a hard lesson through observance here, and thus most likely they'll be in the same soup like this for themselves and THEIR Corps in the future too.

Completely agree... same is true for all institutions within the marching arts. Sadly, while this will address the situation moving forward... there are probably a few more bad stories that have yet to drop. My guess is we are in the 4th inning of a nine inning game with lots more to come (although I would prefer to be complete wrong).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Every time you say this, and you have said it multiple times, I will challenge it. It is simply not true there were no reported incidents. Multiple (as in, more than two) staff met with the corps director and discussed concerns including examples, and were basically told the matter is not up for discussion. So, are you playing word games?  By "reported incident " do you mean something in writing?  A report filed with police?  This is too important an issue to play word games with. Staff (multiple) at Crossmen raised serious concerns with the corps director concerning Moody's behavior. Do you dispute this?

i've been saying this too. it gets ignored. I'm sure Fred is a nice guy, hence the defense put forward, as opposed to alightning rod like Hopkins.

It doesn't excuse a #### thing

• Like 1

11 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Some people in this thread seem to feel it was wrong for Crossmen to let him go (or for him to resign).

If so, I wonder: why did that happen? What repercussions did Crossmen and/or Moody fear, if they truly believed there was nothing wrong with having him on staff for the past several years?

Who was going to punish Crossmen for having done so? DCI? Parents?

Isn't it reasonable that, since Morrison was directly involved with negotiating and drafting the new policy and, therefore, he knew that it would prevent Moody's hire, Morrison told Moody what was coming and Moody resigned from Crossmen for the same reason Morrison resigned from the DCI Board Chair position?

I know you'd like to view it as some spurious admission of guilt, but maybe it's not.

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

If DCI is copying how education works...

If a college student is 18+, his/her parents/guardians do NOT have a right to know about their child's college experiences, grades, etc, unless the child signs a release.

then DCI needs to be prepared when a parents decides to launch lawsuits. It's that kind of world now

• Like 1

16 hours ago, garfield said:

I am not here to be a pawn to someone else's issue.  That Jeff and I disagree is not fodder to bolster someone else's argument.  "Honest" is not a word I associate with this issue.  "Disclosure"  might be.

I don't believe that it was his obligation to disclose the background of his decision or his decision. 

Winter Park is not an example you can use to describe Moody's experience at Crossmen, or Crossmen's experience with Moody.

disclosing things indicates honesty. Not disclosing things doesn't.